Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How the application process needs to change

Default Re: How the application process needs to change

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Scrotty-esque wall of face-kicking forum-smackdown awesome.
    Well said, good sir. You wouldn't happen to be sitting at a terminal connected to fabled self-aware Soviet military computer system S.C.R.Ot.T.Y, would you?

there are more crimes there too so maybe leaning english has a direct link to organized crime? there are more prostitutes there too so learning english must be linked to the sex industry! Hang on, there are more public toilets there than anywhere else in the country, learning english must be linked to public urination!
    Holy sh*t; some Japanese person is gonna read this. The JET program is sooo f*cked.

Quote Originally Posted by DickForce View Post
    tl;dr
    Eh, it's worth a read.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

He's spent the majority of this thread calling me a troll and idiot, telling everyone to ignore me, and then once he suddenly decides to take notice of the content of my posts after other people humor me, I'm supposed to magically decide "oh, okay, this guy is an authority, I should listen to him"? I'd rather carry on the discussion with people who want to take me seriously enough to listen and converse with me.
    You may want to, since his points directly contradict most of what you are claiming, and he seems to be more knowledgeable on the matter than you. I don't expect you to though since you seem to only care about discussion insofar as it reinforces your own beliefs. I doubt very much you will leave this thread feeling like anything you've said in it was anything less than 100% true, factual, and indisputable. You just seem like that type of guy.

How is that inconsistent with what I've said? Japanese students who spend a lot of time involving themselves with foreign culture perform better on TOEFL than average Japanese. Korean students who are taught by certified EFL teachers perform better on TOEFL than average Japanese. There are two reasonable correlations here, neither of them includes the idea that taking a suicide drive towards GPA maximization produces higher results, which was one of my earlier points.
    It sounded like you were saying that it didn't really matter in the end because both countries end up with essentially zero functional fluency solely from public education and what's really important is students' personal interest, which doesn't really help your case much.

I don't disagree that there are problems with English education in Japan, but the longer you stay here the more you realize how numerous and complicated the problems are. I also agree that TEFL certification and training are important, but that's really only a very small part of the equation (and I don't think the average JET is as bad as ITILers make them out to be)
    Last edited by therealwindycity; April 16th, 2013 at 15:40.

He's spent the majority of this thread calling me a troll and idiot, telling everyone to ignore me, and then once he suddenly decides to take notice of the content of my posts after other people humor me, I'm supposed to magically decide "oh, okay, this guy is an authority, I should listen to him"? I'd rather carry on the discussion with people who want to take me seriously enough to listen and converse with me.
    You've made two distinct errors in judgement here.

1) While Ini is total dick, he's one of the most knowledgable and oddly helpful people on the forum so it actually IS worthwhile to listen to him.

2) You've made the incorrect assumption that the people who are talking to you actually take you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Interac is tricky with their placements. You can get a reasonably sized city on your first year- with a catch. In my case a big catch. I'm their only placement in this city, there's minimal English support, and my branch office is two hours away (though they have another branch 30 minutes away). They send you to an overly convoluted training program that usually doesn't line up with what your school does with you. I'm fairly certain the BOE is paying as much as they would for JET if not more for me, an unexperienced college grad who only had 2 previous jobs. So I wouldn't say it's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I am legitimately confused as to how we ended up with a normal human being on these message boards. I feel bad for you if you got lost on your way elsewhere, KI.
    And he just showed up out of nowhere. He must be trolling us in some way.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekelly View Post
    Interac is tricky with their placements. You can get a reasonably sized city on your first year- with a catch. In my case a big catch. I'm their only placement in this city, there's minimal English support, and my branch office is two hours away (though they have another branch 30 minutes away). They send you to an overly convoluted training program that usually doesn't line up with what your school does with you. I'm fairly certain the BOE is paying as much as they would for JET if not more for me, an unexperienced college grad who only had 2 previous jobs. So I wouldn't say it's better.
    Where did they deploy you?

DickForce still ignoring the valid points that Ini made, refusing to address what is otherwise a rather complete rebuttal of his arguments, because 'he's a meanie'. Just laughable.

I'm in Kanto, but far up enough that I still have to turn the heat on at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

This guy's gonna have a BAD time if he ever works as an ALT in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekelly View Post
    I'm in Kanto, but far up enough that I still have to turn the heat on at night.
    So Aomoriish? That's not really that good for what they're paying you, why did you take Interac over another private firm?

So Aomoriish?
    Stop trolling.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

So Aomoriish? That's not really that good for what they're paying you, why did you take Interac over another private firm?
    Maybe he was afraid of shunning otherwise.

Aomori?? Do you know where Kanto is?

Oh, laff
    somehow I read "Kanto" as "Tohoku" in my head
    So like north Gunmaish?

This malarkey has gone on long enough. This has no place in Applying; it doesn't help potential or current applicants in any way. If you guys want, I'll move it to the Lounge and unlock it, but here in Applying... nope.
    Last edited by word; April 19th, 2013 at 09:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.