Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian JETs will make about minimum wage in 2013.

Default Australian JETs will make about minimum wage in 2013.

The current minimum wage in Australia (assuming 40 hrs / wk, 50 wks / yr since they only give me the hourly rate) is about $31,900 AUD a year
    Two days ago, the JET salary of 3,360,000 yen a year was worth $31,880 AUD.

Just under the minimum wage.

For Interac ALTs it looks even worse. That salary was only $21,900 / yr, a good 30% lower than the minimum wage in Australia, a few days ago.
    Last edited by Kuroda Ishikawa; April 16th, 2013 at 16:22.

Default Re: Australian JETs will make about minimum wage in 2013.

its more of an issue for JETs leaving this year...... the pension refund that was looking so good last summer suddenly isn't looking that plump
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yes, it does suck, but I'd rather be here doing this that what I was back in America. Near minimum wage tape recorder is much better than minimum wage combini slave while I figure out what the heck I want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Yeah, I've been thinking and worrying about that. The trick is to save your money, not drop it all into your home currency whenever. Actually after topping out at around 100 yen to 1 USD, it's declining again. It has yet to stabilize, and I'm no economist, but odds are it will dip below 90:1 in not too long, perhaps even before August

Quote Originally Posted by DickForce View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking and worrying about that. The trick is to save your money, not drop it all into your home currency whenever. Actually after topping out at around 100 yen to 1 USD, it's declining again. It has yet to stabilize, and I'm no economist, but odds are it will dip below 90:1 in not too long, perhaps even before August
    Given that the target is 95 yen or higher and they have acted to boost it above 95 every time it's headed lower the last 6 months, I'm curious why you believe that.

Plus you're assuming that everyone has the good fortune to not need to send money home every month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

snigger
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

So this guy is a troll ey.

If you're so concerned about the pay you get from Jet and how it transfers home then you're doing it wrong. It's MEANT to be a pre-career experience abroad that you do for non-economic reasons for a few years before you start making real money.
    Last edited by Tyr; April 17th, 2013 at 09:47.

Or it could not at all be about the money. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't care about money other than what it can get me (food, shelter, etc.). Sure, I like buying toys and all, but the goal shouldn't be money. With this program, I'm hoping to partake in a good experience. I also hope the experience is rewarding enough for me to want to remain in Japan as long as possible.

I must admit, though, that I'm surprised that the wages in JET are minimum wage in Australia... I have a decent job in the US, and the pay rate for JET is pretty much on par with the job I have now. Are the living expenses in Australia very high? (I apologize if this is a truly ignorant question....)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    It's MEANT to be a pre-career experience abroad that you do for non-economic reasons for a few years before you start making real money.
    Lol, if you say so. Look at the JET program in 2012 for Americans. At that exchange rate the JET salary for the year was about $45k gross. About 20% deducted to pay for healthcare, pension, taxes, etc. However, the pension is mostly refundable, so let's call it 15%, or net salary of around $38k. Using Colorado as a mid-range example, to get a net salary of $38k would require a gross salary of $53k. Taxes and deductions are just that much higher. I didn't bother comparing costs of living, healthcare costs / coverage, etc. but I'm reasonably certain for most Americans in most placements that will favor Japan as well.

How many ALTs could have / were / would have made $53k last year if they were in America instead of Japan? Not that many, I imagine.

Now compare that to Australian ALTs thinking about coming for 2013, and facing a work situation where they will make just about as much as a gas station attendant.

Money is a significant issue for anyone who thinks about money, and anyone taking any position should be considering it. Otherwise, if all you want is experience, you should be looking for unpaid internships rather than doing JET.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    snigger
    Snigga, what?!

Snigga who

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroda Ishikawa View Post
    Lol, if you say so. Look at the JET program in 2012 for Americans. At that exchange rate the JET salary for the year was about $45k gross. About 20% deducted to pay for healthcare, pension, taxes, etc. However, the pension is mostly refundable, so let's call it 15%, or net salary of around $38k. Using Colorado as a mid-range example, to get a net salary of $38k would require a gross salary of $53k. Taxes and deductions are just that much higher. I didn't bother comparing costs of living, healthcare costs / coverage, etc. but I'm reasonably certain for most Americans in most placements that will favor Japan as well.

How many ALTs could have / were / would have made $53k last year if they were in America instead of Japan? Not that many, I imagine.

Now compare that to Australian ALTs thinking about coming for 2013, and facing a work situation where they will make just about as much as a gas station attendant.
    How many Jets would have spent $10 on a beer if they were in America instead of Japan? Not that many, I imagine.

Money doesn't convert so easily between countries. You have to consider costs, quality of life, etc...
    If there was a job in Dubai that paid twice what a minimum wage job in Colorado does would you take it? Hell no, Dubai is hot and boring, and everything costs 4 times as much there.

Money is a significant issue for anyone who thinks about money, and anyone taking any position should be considering it. Otherwise, if all you want is experience, you should be looking for unpaid internships rather than doing JET.
    A man's gotta eat.
    Earning something is obviously an issue for practically anyone. Quibbling over a few hundred dollars either way however really doesn't matter.
    Just look at all applicants even the really terrible dispatch companies get year after year. All people see is "I get to work in Japan? AWESOME!" and they're there.
    Last edited by Tyr; April 17th, 2013 at 13:45.

If there was a job in Dubai that paid twice what a minimum wage job in Colorado does would you take it? Hell no, Dubai is hot and boring, and everything costs 4 times as much there.
    If there was a job in rural Japan that paid less than a minimum wage job in Australia, would an Australian take it? Hell no, rural Japan is hot and boring, and beer costs 4 times as much there.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If there was a job in rural Japan that paid less than a minimum wage job in Australia, would an Australian take it? Hell no, rural Japan is hot and boring, and beer costs 4 times as much there.
    LOL. Truer words were never spoken.

Though I get to drink half price beer in my hell hole of a town, so ya. WOOT 250yen drafts of real Asahi (no happoshu crap for me sir!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Japan isn't boring, especially for the type of person who applies for jet without money being their primary focus. And it is hot to an Australian?
    I'm pretty sure Japan is cheaper than Australia, I've never been there but stats do put it up there with Norway and Switzerland on the expensive country front. Beer is one of the few things where Japan seems to edge it out with it being more like 50% more expensive but on rent Japan is really cheap. On other things too Japan is more affordable than a lot of other countries.
    Last edited by Tyr; April 17th, 2013 at 16:14.

Are you autistic?

Are you autistic?
    When the troll fails to get people angry...resort to random insulsts?

When the troll fails to get people angry...resort to random insulsts?
    I wasn't trolling you, I was mocking you, because it has pretty quickly become clear that you have no idea about any of the things I have discussed and are having trouble coming up with rational counter-arguments.

You say things like "Money doesn't convert easily between countries", but actually it does, and "you have to consider costs, quality of life, etc", yet I did, as you can see it in the same posts you quoted for that gem. You state meaningless truisms like "a man's gotta eat" as if they are counterpoints, and make claims such as "Earning something is obviously an issue for practically anyone" despite the fact that this is both exactly what I was saying, and the exact opposite of your original statement that being concerned about pay on JET is "doing it wrong" and that one shouldn't be considering the economics of the position. You finish off with the wonderful insight that "You shouldn't quibble over a few hundred dollars", yet I have shown that we are talking about thousands of dollars.

It's a staggering amount of cognitive dissonance, ignorance and nonsense all condensed into a few posts. It seems like you are just trying to justify the fact that you've never bothered to consider the JET program salary and are happy to just float along in the kind of bliss that only alcoholics and idiots ever find. By all means, float away, but yea forgive me for not taking you seriously.

How the hell can the crocodile hunters afford to shell out that amount on a minimum wage? Converted to pounds their minimum would be an above-average salary in Scotland or Northern England, though admittedly neither of those places are known for the burning ambition of their residents.

Should have learned to become a plumber and moved there years ago.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; April 18th, 2013 at 11:36.