Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Australian JETs will make about minimum wage in 2013.

Default Re: Australian JETs will make about minimum wage in 2013.

you point that food is expensive seems dependent on the assumption people are eating beef and pork constantly. how many slant eyes are having tbone steaks and pork chops every night?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    Cost of living in Australia is quite a bit more for most things. Maybe not beer, but in Australia a 700mL bottle of spirits is $400 when I can often find the same thing here for ~1600 yen.
    ...I think you mean $40.

But yeah, living costs in NZ and Aussie are higher, hence the higher wage.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Yeah, $40. I think I went to write 4000 yen, but then deleted a 0 thinking "naow itz dallarz!!!!21121" durp

But I eat for cheaper here than I ever did in Australia unless I refuse to change my diet and continue trying to eat beef, fruit, milk and bread.

But stir-fried chicken and vegetables on rice? Hella cheap compared to home...

Plus I wasn't on minimum wage in Australia. I'm an Arts grad so I was on the dole. JET is still an attractive option for Aussies like me. Just not for people that are employable at home.
    Last edited by Prospective; April 18th, 2013 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by DickForce View Post
    I can't find a pie chart
    Ok I think I like you and you should stick around because when you're not saying something that I personally give a fuck about you are pretty amusing

My oversized 7-11 has US beef, but it's just the gyuudon strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by DickForce View Post
    Japan offers growth potential for U.S. beef

At its highest point, American beef accounted for 53% of all Japanese beef. It declined after a ban, and has been steadily increasing, much more now after restrictions have been eased up substantially. I don't know the share that each other country has. So, I was half-right.
    How is being completely wrong being half-right? Did you go to one of those progressive schools without grades?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I do not have first hand knowledge of life in Japan (my only experience was as a tourist last summer in and around Tokyo for a couple of weeks). However, the wage that we get on JET really doesn't seem too bad. I also have a friend that went through JET, and said it was plenty. I'm curious how you can compare wage rates in one area to another. The wages I get paid in the US now would scarcely find me a good place to live in Norway, if what I've been told is correct. Yet, here, I can live just fine paying for a single bedroom apartment in the Chicago suburbs on my own.

Having stated the above, there are two main worries I can imagine from the OP's perspective. The first would be repayment of student loans, if any. Are you worried that you will be unable to pay back your loans? The second would be for saving up money for the eventual return to Australia.

Since you didn't post the reason in the original post, would you mind enlightening us as to the reason for the comparison? Perhaps I missed it in the follow up posts if you mentioned it.

It was plenty... when the yen wasn't tanking and the salary was higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrajen View Post
    I'm curious how you can compare wage rates in one area to another.
    Use Google? If international, use Google and the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrajen View Post
    Since you didn't post the reason in the original post, would you mind enlightening us as to the reason for the comparison? Perhaps I missed it in the follow up posts if you mentioned it.
    It was interesting.

Heh, I didn't mean literally. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroda Ishikawa View Post
    The current minimum wage in Australia (assuming 40 hrs / wk, 50 wks / yr since they only give me the hourly rate) is about $31,900 AUD a year
    Two days ago, the JET salary of 3,360,000 yen a year was worth $31,880 AUD.

Just under the minimum wage.

For Interac ALTs it looks even worse. That salary was only $21,900 / yr, a good 30% lower than the minimum wage in Australia, a few days ago.
    the income tax in australia for a resident earning $31,900 is a little over 20% (19c on the dollar plus a 1.5% medicare levy).
    http://www.ato.gov.au/content/12333.htm

the income tax in japan for a non-resident (or resident for that matter) earning 3,360,000 is 10%.
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/japan/japan_tax.asp

the goods and services tax in australia is 10%, compared to the consumption tax of 5% in japan.

finally i don't know how many of your hypothetical minimum wage positions in australia would come with subsidized accommodation, free flights, or paid-for on-the-job travel and accommodation expenses but i doubt it would be that many.

australians end up with a scroteload more money on JET than they would working minimum wage jobs in australia.

a side note is that japan has more public holidays that australia does, plus you get 20 days annual leave, plus all the other special leave that is dependent on placement, so even though full-time australian positions have wonderful things non-existent in japan such as sick leave and maternity leave, your average grunt ends up with more time off on JET.
    look all i'm saying is if you go here and you die, it's not my fault

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post

australians end up with a scroteload more money on JET than they would working minimum wage jobs in australia.
    The only way an australian is getting a scroteload is if you take them home....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    the income tax in australia for a resident earning $31,900 is a little over 20% (19c on the dollar plus a 1.5% medicare levy).
    http://www.ato.gov.au/content/12333.htm

the income tax in japan for a non-resident (or resident for that matter) earning 3,360,000 is 10%.
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/japan/japan_tax.asp

the goods and services tax in australia is 10%, compared to the consumption tax of 5% in japan.

finally i don't know how many of your hypothetical minimum wage positions in australia would come with subsidized accommodation, free flights, or paid-for on-the-job travel and accommodation expenses but i doubt it would be that many.

a side note is that japan has more public holidays that australia does, plus you get 20 days annual leave, plus all the other special leave that is dependent on placement, so even though full-time australian positions have wonderful things non-existent in japan such as sick leave and maternity leave, your average grunt ends up with more time off on JET.
    -it's 19c on the dollar for each dollar over $18,200, which is nowhere near 20% tax. Read your own link. According to that scheme you would pay $2,599.20 in taxes or about 8.1% income tax.
    http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/person...tax-calculator

-why did you include the healthcare tax for Australia but not Japan?

-subsidized accommodations, travel reimbursement, and accommodation expenses (did you just list the same thing twice or is this somehow different?) are not universal to all ALTs, many get none, not to mention that just as often ALTs pay key money, shakken and general car ownership costs, and $/square meter of housing costs far in excess of what they would back home.

-flights are free only if you finish your contract

-The JET contract includes no overtime pay or bonuses, which some minimum wage positions have