Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does anyone like JET??

Default Re: Does anyone like JET??

Quote Originally Posted by DickForce View Post
    I'm thinking this is where I would want to draw the line. I've always been wrapped up in the concern of getting deep enough to not feel like a total outsider, which feels like a permanent fear to me, either because I'm neurotic or because people refused to sit next to me on buses and trains every day for 7 consecutive months. I think "going native" has less of the objective of trying to turn completely Japanese (because really, who would want to turn completely into any culture? they all suck, there's your non-bigoted racism for the day) and more the objective of not feeling like you're from another planet every time you try to encounter anyone.

I mean, no, I don't want to work 16 hour days, I don't want to become an alcoholic, I don't want my marriage to include multiple decades without any sexual contact, and I don't want to draw myself into a crazy fascination with rice and green tea instead of realizing that there exists something called variety in the world. To that extent, no, I don't wish I could become completely Japanese and am willing to accept my gaijinity. On the other hand, is it really too much to ask for to try to dip a little more than my feet into Japanese society, long enough that I can live comfortably instead of building some kind of fantasy world around me where the gimmick of being some kind of walking variety show segment to everyone around me lasts the rest of my life or until I leave? In all my time studying abroad, very few people advanced past the most shallow conversational topics in existence (even by Japanese standards), never have I been more than some kind of mascot for any sports club I joined (and let me not start on the International Friendship club, which I learned I was not supposed to join because their mission is to prepare events for Japanese to meet foreigners), never could people even greet me with an ohayo and depart with an otsukare, and every person I met at an international party relegated me to one of two positions: "must be a halfee" or "how cute, the gaijin is speaking Japanese to us."

It's kind of dickish how whenever I bring this up, the response is always the hilarious false dichotomy of "Why can't you just appreciate being a gaijin? It's not like life is any better for the Japanese." As if the options are very clear: have everyone talk to you like you're on a variety show, or be an alcoholic lifer in a dead-end job and marriage.

On that note, if anyone has a guide on how to become valuable enough to the Japanese around you that they will treat you like a friend and/or co-worker rather than a mascot, please let me know.
    Jesus Christ, listen to yourself.

On that note, if anyone has a guide on how to become valuable enough to the Japanese around you that they will treat you like a friend and/or co-worker rather than a mascot

work 16 hour days

You have all the weapons you need. Now Fight!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroda Ishikawa View Post
    Jesus Christ, listen to yourself.
    Hint: the secret to reading my posts is understanding that I am rarely 100% serial about anything. That doesn't mean treat me like a troll, it means don't take everything I write completely seriously. Understanding this, if you use your noggin a little bit you'll be able to figure out where I'm being more satirical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    You have all the weapons you need. Now Fight!

I will gaman with all my isshokenmei.

Hint: the secret to reading my posts is understanding that I am rarely 100% serial about anything. That doesn't mean treat me like a troll, it means don't take everything I write completely seriously. Understanding this, if you use your noggin a little bit you'll be able to figure out where I'm being more satirical.

I will gaman with all my isshokenmei.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I see, so this is like a posting invincibility blanket, where every time you make a terrible post or say something stupid you can go 'nuh huh! I'm just joking/trolling/being sarcastic' etc.

On the internet, you're always right and everyone you talk to is always wrong.

You're right in that you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    What's your point?

Are you trying to say your excuse for being a unlikable misery is that you don't want to seem like a paedo?
    In what universe would that be my excuse? By that logic, you're saying that perving on/getting borderline innappropriately affectionate comments from your students is the only thing that makes you happy.
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    In what universe would that be my excuse? By that logic, you're saying that perving on/getting borderline innappropriately affectionate comments from your students is the only thing that makes you happy.
    This is still a very confusing conversation for me. The tone is accusative but I'm not sure what's being said that hasn't already been asserted.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I hope there aren't any JETs who want to change all Japanese people's view of all foreigners, but I think there are a lot of people who think to themselves, "I'm going to be a shining beacon of my nation's awesomeness, and even if I can't spread my greatness to all people in all places, at least the population of Bumfuck Town will learn than not all foreigners are awful." That is still way too ambitious, but it's not quite as sickeningly saccharine.
    Yeah.
    I think a big problem is so much of the pre-jet stuff we read and what we're given at orientation comes from people who were jets 10-20 years ago with all their stories about being the only foreigner their kids had ever seen, their staff not having a clue what to do with a jet, etc....
    When for people going on Jet these days we're just the latest in a long line of boring foreigners

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    This is still a very confusing conversation for me. The tone is accusative but I'm not sure what's being said that hasn't already been asserted.
    Oh, it sounded to me like you were getting defensive at one point. Never mind then. My mistake.
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

The first four or so pages of this thread were probably the most useful/interesting discussion I've read in the applying section of ITIL. A moderator might consider pinning it for next year's application season?

The next time a moderator does something useful in here will be the first time.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I see now why you made this sticky.
    For someone seriously considering doing JET, this is a goldmine of honesty.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

On that note, if anyone has a guide on how to become valuable enough to the Japanese around you that they will treat you like a friend and/or co-worker rather than a mascot, please let me know.
    Are you asking how to fit in better? You need to speak Japanese, learn the culture and customs, learn to read that air, and probably join in all of those nomikais trips and things that a lot of ALTs blow off to be out chasing tail or whatever the hell it is they do on weekends.

Unfortunately if you don't speak Japanese you are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage because not only can you not actually communicate on a level besides "what foods do you like sushi?" you don't have the ability to comprehend what's going on around you enough to gain a good understanding of how to behave not like a gaijin.

As many have said, most don't care to do this nor do I think anyone should feel obligated to do so.