Thread: To TEFL or not to TEFL.....

Default To TEFL or not to TEFL.....

that is the question!

Hello Everybody!

I have been accepted by Interac for a placement starting in August, I have never taught English formally and I currently haven't completed a TEFL course. I was going to, just to give myself a little more confidence, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a waste of money.

Im looking to hear from anyone who thought a TEFL was helpful, those who dont have one but wished they had and those who think it is a waste of time. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If i was to do a tefl any recommendation of how many hours should give me a good enough understanding to be useful in the classroom?

Or can anyone recommend any self reading which may be useful rather than completing a formal course?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: To TEFL or not to TEFL.....

A real TEFL, like the CELTA program, is worth the money in teaching you pedagogy and methodology of teaching, along with some basic grammar. A 120 hour program online will teach you the same stuff you can figure out on your own in the classroom by reading the Japanese English textbook backwards.

Waste of money imo.

(I have a uni degree in linguistics, as well as a uni TESOL certificate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: To TEFL or not to TEFL.....

For Interac, I'd say you don't need it right away. They're going to tell you to do things one way, and your JTE will plan to have you as a tape recorder unless you really know what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.