Thread: Hiroshima-Ken

Default Hiroshima-Ken

So I've been lurking these boards for a while, I just found out I got placed in Hiroshima-ken.
    I figured I'd reach out and finally post on these boards.

What kind of fun stuff do I get to look forward to?

edit: sorry for starting a new thread, everything I found when searching was archives from 2005-2006.
    Last edited by maiafly; May 21st, 2013 at 23:46.

Default Re: Hiroshima-Ken

Hey there,

I thought I'd just add that I also was placed in Hiroshima-ken. Yay! I wonder when we will find out our cities

Not in Applying plz. Let's be positive and keep a few of these new folks!
    Last edited by word; May 24th, 2013 at 13:20.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Not in Applying plz. Let's be positive and keep a few of these new folks!
    Last edited by word; May 24th, 2013 at 13:21.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Quote Originally Posted by maiafly View Post
    So I've been lurking these boards for a while, I just found out I got placed in Hiroshima-ken.
    I figured I'd reach out and finally post on these boards.

What kind of fun stuff do I get to look forward to?

edit: sorry for starting a new thread, everything I found when searching was archives from 2005-2006.

Haha, those two are such jokesters. Remember, every situation is different; sounds like their situations/situations they've heard of from Hiroshima were just not the best. That's really too bad :/

I actually requested Hiroshima-ken because I did high school home stays in three different cities in the prefecture. The people of Hiroshima were nicer than any I had met elsewhere in Japan on any of my trips. This, of course, is a generalization, and I am sure some people are still extremely bitter about what happened in the past, which I believe they have a right to be. This makes it all the more surprising to me that I was treated better throughout this prefecture than anywhere else in my travels to Japan.

Some things you can look forward to that I do already know about from my own experience:

1) Miyajima! Google it-- it's awesome. They have cute little deer walking around there, too. Kind of like at Nara!

2) Okonomiyaki -- it's a delicious and famous food in the region. I love both Osaka and Hiroshima style.

3) The Peace Park in Hiroshima City. Aside from the stark realities you'll face when visiting, the surrounding area is beautiful. It's a moving place to be, and visiting a few times when I was young changed my thoughts about war. It's an eye-opener.

4) Depending on where you are located, you may be relatively near to Iwakuni (cool roller coaster-like bridge) and a wonderful mountain-side restaurant (The Chicken Shack!!! haha -- not its real name, but what foreigners sometimes call it) in Yamaguchi-ken.

5) Hiroshima City has access to the Willer Bus Service (I think this is what it was called six years back... Not certain) which can take you to Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo for low fees. I think it was only ~5600-7000 yen to Tokyo! Not sure if the prices are the same now, or if my memory is serving me well, but I remember it was much less expensive than the shinkansen.

6) If you are placed in Fukuyama or Kure, you'll be just a train ride away from Hiroshima City. Also, Fukuyama is a lovely town with lots of things to do! These are just things I've been reading on the forums, though, and by using Hyperdia.

7) The mountains and ocean are nearby, meaning fresh seafood and beautiful scenery!

I can't comment on the job itself since ESID, but I'm sure a lot of it depends on if you are the kind of person who can make the best of her/his situation or not. I'll admit that I'm actually pretty scared about where I'll be placed and what things will be like (especially after reading these threads), but I try to keep my chin up because I know I will have it better than what a lot of my friends have right now: living with their parents with no work. Heck, we're going to a foreign country! Yes, I'm sure it will be rough at times... Yes, I bet there will be some horrible injustices (being used as a human tape recorder perhaps), but even if your job seems crappy and your position small, you might still be getting some kid jazzed about learning English and trying new things.

I know I sound like an annoyingly super optimistic person who knows nothing of what I'm getting myself into right now, but that's how I have to look at it in order to be happy.

Hope to see you at the orientation! By the way, I hear there might be some sort of five day language school for us prefecturals! (though someone supposedly faints every year because it's extremely humid in the rooms or something... but that's just another funny story to tell your friends about back home!)
    Last edited by DrumTheDarling; May 24th, 2013 at 13:52.