Thread: Applying For CIR, Chances of getting ALT?

Default Applying For CIR, Chances of getting ALT?

Hey-ho chums, Longtime no hisashiburi etc etc.

So a good friend of mine is looking to applying for jet in the near future and has been asking me for advice as an ex jet.
    One question though, I Didnt know the answer to, so thought i would bring it here.

Basically, She wants to apply for the CIR position, being fairly fluent in the old Japlingo. Thing is, she would also be really happy as an ALT. So what do you think she should do?

Apply as a CIR, hope she gets it knowing that it is a far more competitive position,

Or apply for ALT as the slightly safer option?

I have heard stories in the past of people who applied for CIR but didnt quite make the ciut and were therefore offered an ALT position instead. How common is this? if it is fairly usual, would the CIR option not be the safer bet?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Default Re: Applying For CIR, Chances of getting ALT?

Apply as a CIR and check the box for "willing to be an ALT." That's what I did. My Japanese wasn't good enough at the time but my interview went really well, I showed them I was a sociable person capable of dealing with a variety of difficult situations, and I came out of it with an ALT position while two of my friends (who were much much much much more proficient in Japanese, both of them being fluent) got rejected as CIRs.

ETA: I applied for CIR because I thought organizing events and working in the community fit my skillset better than teaching. CIR is definitely a much more taxing job, which often includes teaching as well as public relations and event planning, so your friend should definitely think about whether they event want to be a CIR in the first place. I've known J-fluent ALTs who never applied to be CIRs at all who have been very happy with the decision to do so. Things to think about!
    Last edited by RomulusLupin; June 17th, 2013 at 18:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    time spent? because RL has such a hard time juggling her hectic schedule? Between her high pressure job and loving boyfriend I'm supprised she has time to post here at all.....

Thanks, Ill pass that on.
    What sort of level of japanese is usual for CIRs? Its been a while since i was on JET, but my own Japanese was so poor i had no real concept of their ability. As in, what would the Minimum JLPT equivalent be?
    She has JLPT level 4 (by the new standard) but could probably pass the level 2 without too much trouble, just hasn't done so.

I couldn't even pass the current level 5 now.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Speaking and reading fluency are the most important factors at the interview. The passage I had to read was probably N3 or N2, going by the test, but I really struggled to fluently answer questions about it. Strong speaking skills are an absolute must; I've seen good speakers with poor knowledge of vocabulary and grammar become CIRs (and then learn all the new words along the way).

I also got scolded for sitting and passing papers incorrectly. Your friend should be fairly well-versed in the basics of Japanese etiquette and be able to speak with composure. They say N2 is the minimum for being qualified, but it's definitely more about how you can use it in real life than which test you passed.
    Last edited by RomulusLupin; June 19th, 2013 at 08:44.
    time spent? because RL has such a hard time juggling her hectic schedule? Between her high pressure job and loving boyfriend I'm supprised she has time to post here at all.....

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Speaking and reading fluency are the most important factors at the interview. The passage I had to read was probably N3 or N2, going by the test, but I really struggled to fluently answer questions about it. Strong speaking skills are an absolute must; I've seen good speakers with poor knowledge of vocabulary and grammar become CIRs (and then learn all the new words along the way).

I also got scolded for sitting and passing papers incorrectly. Your friend should be fairly well-versed in the basics of Japanese etiquette and be able to speak with composure. They say N2 is the minimum for being qualified, but it's definitely more about how you can use it in real life than which test you passed.
    Pretty much this.

I thought they had to have the N2 to be considered for the CIR job? I knew a guy in my prefecture who is very much like how RL described though. His writing/kanji weren't particularly hot, but he studied his office etiquette/manners/behaviours before applying and got the job. He was also a fluent communicator, not necessarily accurate, but used compensation strategies to ensure his points got across which seemed more fluent and able in the language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

In theory, they want a minimum of N2-level vocabulary and grammar, but that's impossible to test in 15 minutes. What they're really looking for, and what they actually hire, are competent communicators (who meet whatever criteria they have). Most of CIRs have passed N1, could pass N1 or are on the cusp between N2 and N1. Many are functionally fluent. Hopefully that gives the OP a sense of what his friend should be aiming for.