Thread: Leaving JET, but staying in Japan - Visa issues

Default Re: Stuff you don't want to say in AG

Applying for other jobs in the public school system so I won't even need to change visa type, really.

(Actually just to check - I'm correct in thinking that the JET visa is a standard instructor-class Visa that will work if I'm working for a public school ALT dispatch company, yea?)
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

No work, no work visa is how I always understood it, Even if you are "looking" for a job if you havn't landed a job by the time your contract is up you are technically illegal because the work visa is for people who have jobs.

if a BOE was horribly inclined, they could try to snag someone on this technicality even tho most ppl would let it slide and wouldn't think twice of it
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 28th, 2013 at 14:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Nope, you get time to find a job and this can be extended if you can show you are going for interviews and have the resources to support yourself
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Nope, you get time to find a job and this can be extended if you can show you are going for interviews and have the resources to support yourself
    This I didn't know, how long is the time? I assume its something that doesn' allow someone to get a 3year visa and quit and then spend 2 plus years screwing around.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 28th, 2013 at 14:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

14 days to report change of employment to immigration plus 90 days from end of contract to actually start a new job
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

So I take it if I land a new job in an ALT position all I do is go to immigration and say this with the necessary documents? Or does that fall under the Instructor / JET visa?

well in the old days you didn't really have to bother but the new residents card system makes it compulsory to report any change of jobs. you have 14 days to do that. I dunno what you'd put on the form if you didn't have a job set up, I guess you could say looking for work. think you need the certificate of authorized employment but you might want to double check that.

edit - thats if you get another instructor job. if you go to a conversation school/office work you'd have to apply for a new humanities visa.

edit 2 - this is what you need - and you can do it by post which has to be a first for japanese bureaucracy
    Application for Certificate of Authorized Employment

ok next job-related question: When I leave this ALT job, I have to hand my health insurance card into my current employer, yes? And I keep my pension book?

Hi,

I'm hoping to find work as a web developer in Tokyo after I finish my JET contract in the summer. After we end out contract, how much longer do we have to find a job? It seems 3 months, but some people say this is not true (I've heard this from ALTs who have found new work so I'm guessing it's true). When that 3 months is up, do we need to get out the country? Can we extend our visa .. e.g. as a tourist? I've even read about "visa runs" to Korea, then new tourist visa on re-entry. I'm just trying to figure how much time I have, and if that time can be extended to find a job that's right. I'm applying for work at the moment but seems a little early as employers are keen for people to start right away, also getting to Tokyo is a bit of an inconvenience, especially during term time (living in Toyama at the moment). So, that 3 month(?) window might be my best/only option.

Also, how do we go about gaining sponsorship. Is this something that the new employer would organise, or does the employer simply confirm that you are earning, working etc? I'd appreciate if anyone can shed a little light on this or direct me some place that details all this.

Lastly, my Japanese visa states under category - (E) AS INSTRUCTOR. I'm guessing this is the visa required for teachers? If so, I would probably need to change that to Engineer or something. Do I do that once I've found work? That makes sense. Anyone know much about this?

Anyway would appreciate as much information as anyone knows. Thanks in advance.

Bizt

Default Re: Leaving JET, but staying in Japan - Visa issues

The CLAIR handbook is annoyingly vague. You can stay for 90 days without working for "sightseeing", and if you stay for work, you have to get your status changed from instructor to whatever is appropriate. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover what happens if you spend more than 90 days looking for work. Note that coming into the country on a tourist visa and then starting work is technically illegal, so the Korea runs would get you into trouble. I suspect the same is true for switching to tourist and then back again without leaving the country.

As for visa sponsorship and status, your new employer will sponsor your visa, though you might have to dig up the forms for them if they're new to employing foreigners. Companies are usually happier to sponsor someone who already has a working visa and just needs to change status, etc, though (as all the visa requirements such as degree have already been dealt with) so you're ok there. And yes, you'd probably change status after you find a job: the categories can be fairly detailed (eikaiwa, JET, dispatch and private hire all have a different status, for example). You'd have to change it before starting work, however, as working on the wrong status is also illegal.
    Last edited by Antonath; March 19th, 2014 at 09:17.
    ...because Japan.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Bizt, I assume you have time left on your visa right? You're not a third year whose visa will run out in august?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Bizt, I assume you have time left on your visa right? You're not a third year whose visa will run out in august?
    LOL. No, I leave JET this summer (2004). So yes, I have time.

As for visa runs, if I re-enter as a tourist then find work. Then before I start earning, I ensure that my visa is valid for being employed (sponsorship, engineer visa etc). This is what I had in mind, I assume this isn't illegal?

Anyway I'm hoping 3 months is enough time to look for work but as I've been out the profession for a few years (4) I'm just trying to capture as much time as I can to land something I want. If anyone has any official English websites at hand please post, I'll have a read of the handbook later (if I can find it

That's not what I asked. When does your current visa end? Is it this august, or later?

Also, What Antonath was saying is the exact opposite of what you wrote. Technically, finding work via a tourist visa, and then leaving the country and coming back on a new visa is illegal. Also converting a visa is... nearly impossible (outside of a few very minor exceptions).

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

dont convert to a tourist visa. It'll be a ball ache to get a new working visa that way. much easier just to take the 90 days and try and find a job on your instructor visa. once you find one just change it to an engineer visa. no need for sponsors that way. have you got enough cash to live in tokyo for 3 months without an income? just get a crappy teaching gig in tokyo while you search and jump ship as soon as you find the job you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    That's not what I asked. When does your current visa end? Is it this august, or later?

Also, What Antonath was saying is the exact opposite of what you wrote. Technically, finding work via a tourist visa, and then leaving the country and coming back on a new visa is illegal. Also converting a visa is... nearly impossible (outside of a few very minor exceptions).
    No, I'm a fourth year. I renewed my visa last summer.

Right on, then the 3 month window applies. Good luck and happy hunting!