Thread: Buying a car on Yahoo Auctions

Default Buying a car on Yahoo Auctions

Anyone ever done it before? I'm not especially enthusiastic about it, but I figured it might be worth shopping there, too. Anything I should watch out for; hidden costs or the like? Known scams?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Buying a car on Yahoo Auctions

buying from a dealer on yahoo auctions or buying from jack tanaka?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Haven't really decided; still in the early stages of shopping. I'm more worried about hidden costs from dealers; they certainly seem to compose the lion's share of vehicle listings, though.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

well you'll have to add on car tax, recycling fee, car acquisition tax and vehicle inspection (if applicable). You'll also have the registration fees. also if they are just selling the car and want it off their property as soon as you win the bid and wont keep it until the paperwork is completed you'll have to either pay for a transporter to bring it to your house or pay for some temp license plates
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Hmm; yeah, some of the fine print makes me wanna just deal with my local dealerships.

MJN will accuse me of wasting cash but I always prefer going through dealers. I don't mind paying someone to do all the paperwork for me. If its a reliable dealer I can't see any harm going through yahoo auctions, although I always prefer just finding a car on car sensor or goo net and then going to look at it in person. Buying outside of the prefecture can sometimes add a little to the cost but if it means you get the exact car you want for a fair price it's worth it (to me anyway) saying that I've only ever bought cars that were a max of 4 hours away. I wouldn't suggest buying from Fukuoka if you live in Miyagi.

The paperwork is easy as feck, honestly. I don't know what people complain about.

As a gaijin, now, you only need the same 3 things that Japanese need:
    Residence Certificate (住民票)
    Hanko (Edit: As far as I know, this must be a Jitsuiin (実印))
    Hanko certificate (印鑑証明)

You no longer need the Hanko registration certificate (印鑑登録証明書) or the Gaijin's Bill of Owned Things (外国人登録原票記載事項証明書) , though Joe Inaka might still want one for security. If your area needs a parking certificate (車庫証明), you need to do that yourself regardless of if you go to a garage or not. To change registration at the Land Transport Office, you'll need to bring proof of tax paid on the car and the valid shakken-sho, but that should all be with the car anyway so it's not really a problem. If from a garage, they'll have this and you won't see it at all.

Just wheel up to the LTO with those things, the new & old owner and you're sorted. That last bit is probably the hardest part, considering the opening hours of the place. If you're lucky you might be able to phone and explain your situation and just get it all done via mail - you'll have to call your prefecture's LTO to find out, but do not expect this treatment at all for a white plate.

If you buy from a garage, Yahoo or not, they will prepare the paperwork for you and all you'll have to do is show up with the required 3 things, stamp some stuff, then wait a bit and off you go.
    Last edited by MJN; July 2nd, 2013 at 15:34.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

If you have enough free time to go do it yourself then you probably will appreciate the saving.....

Yea, would come up to do you want to spend 3 man and go to the local garage, or spend a day's nenkyu and do it yourself?

Even if I was rich beyond comprehension and didn't need to work because I was shitting gold-vomiting horses I'd probably still do it myself, though.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

I've done it myself for two cars. One car was simple, while the other was a pain in the ass because of issues with the local police. As MJM said, if you are shopping on yahoo auctions to save money, you might as well save money and do it yourself. If that isn't your bag, then check the auction and see if they have their fee for doing the paperwork. If they don't list it, I wouldn't trust them.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

the last car I bought a car from a different prefecture went like this. once they finished the vehicle inspection they drove it up to the prefecture I lived in on the back of a truck, took it to the local licensing centre, stuck some fresh plates on it then drove it to school and dropped it off in my parking space. Including 2 years shaken, all the paperwork, taxes and delivery the whole thing came in about 20man over the price on the window.

other cars I bought with shittier service ranged from 5-17 over the sticker price depending on if it needed a new shaken and how much the tax was.