Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How far has your Japanese progressed since starting Jet?

Default Re: How far has your Japanese progressed since starting Jet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Having a Japanese speaking partner will obviously help your Japanese but I think it'd be better to look at it just in terms of improving your conversation and occasionally asking "does this sound ok" or "can you say this" rather than asking them to explain the grammar. Either get a teacher or a textbook for when you're in "study mode" and trying to learn grammar.

I mean plenty of us can't explain English using grammatical terminology. I certainly have to look up terminology and rules quite often for lessons and my English language education is better than most people's.
    Page, this is basically what I was saying.
    My GF and I have a Japanese outside of the house/ English at the house rule. Although we often break it. We totally understand the other one in our native tongues. She lived, with me, for 4.5 years in the states so her English is pretty good. I point out major mistakes but let the small ones slip. She does the same, especially with formal Japanese which I suck at.

But we rarely correct each other, I don't like to do it or receive it. I feel it breaks up the dynamic of the relationship. Plus natives don't usually explain grammar in terms the learners understand. I have learned about "Be動詞" and can explain it in those terms but internally, it's not how I think about grammar. Same goes for Japanese, she isn't thinking about "て-verbs" and "う-verbs" (not that I really am either at this point. )

To each their own but I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I get where you're coming from, probably depends a lot on each relationship and situation, too. You guys can understand each other's language which probably helps! Plumber is on par with a 6th grade/1st grade JHS student (just some words) so we don't have much other choice, hah.

What do you guys do for kanji that isn't heisig? I tried it but I'm not the type who can do meaning and reading separate. I can understand newspapers but I can't write (or read aforementioned newspapers out loud).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Did you use it with the reviewing the kanji website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

kanji.koohii.com

A lot of people do things like using flashcards or just writing them out continuously. My friend gave me these cards from white rabbit press that have like every possible single variation of a kanji on them. I don't understand how people can learn by staring at a list with 15-20 items on it trying to will it into their brain but each to their own.

I've used the White Rabbit cards and renshuu.org, but I feel I learned a lot more just by reading a lot. I learned a whole lot from little kid manga when I first came since the kanji have the furigana on them. I can't write for shit though.

Japanese people can't write for shit either to be fair, autokanji hass screwed everyone over. I've had teachers ask me whether kanji are correct or not.