Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far has your Japanese progressed since starting Jet?

Default How far has your Japanese progressed since starting Jet?

So where did you start from and where are you at Japanese wise since starting Jet?

Default Re: How far has your Japanese progressed since starting Jet?

It progressed up to the point where I could understand Japanese people aren't worth getting to know.

I spoke no Japanese at all when I arrived. Nowadays, I can carry on extremely simple conversations, express basic thoughts, and function passably in Japan. My comprehension is far lower than I'd like, but I've made progress and continue to improve.

Unfortunately, in a manner somewhat similar to mothy, I have come to realize that the amount of effort it would take to acquire a level of Japanese that one might consider "fluent" is not justifiable at all. There are no career options that would make such an effort worthwhile; there are no people with whom I desperately long to communicate in Japanese. It might be cool to be able to read some Japanese literature or something, or bang a hot J-girl, but cost-benefit analysis of these payoffs is rather revealing. To be honest, the only reason I'm still working at it is learning for learning's sake, at this point--which is fine.

If I manage to bang a hot J-girl in the process, I guess that would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I came with 4 years of Japanese at college under my belt (but with a skill that looked like I only had one semester of study), and I'm leaving with a higher listening and speaking ability, but I'm nowhere near fluent. My kanji reading skill is pretty much the same as when I came here. I've been too busy to do any serious studying, and I lack motivation.

My comprehension has increased exponentially. I can understand 80-100% of the conversation around me, depending on the context and whether or not I'm actually meant to be included. My speaking, while now littered with local pronunciation, is much more fluent than when I arrived. I am able to do business dealings in Japanese, and get much less tired when I have to spend hours (or days) only speaking Japanese. Writing pretty much eludes me these days, though; I have to double-check kanji on my phone/computer before I feel confident handwriting them now. On the other hand, my reading is much improved. Even when I don't know the pronunciation of a particular kanji I've now have three years of input to help me decipher meaning in context. I'm also a bajillion times more confident in my ability to use Japanese to communicate meaning, even when I make mistakes.

To clarify, I studied Japanese for four years in college and did one semester of study abroad in Japan before JET.
    Last edited by RomulusLupin; July 13th, 2013 at 13:19.
    time spent? because RL has such a hard time juggling her hectic schedule? Between her high pressure job and loving boyfriend I'm supprised she has time to post here at all.....

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It progressed up to the point where I could understand Japanese people aren't worth getting to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Unfortunately, in a manner somewhat similar to mothy, I have come to realize that the amount of effort it would take to acquire a level of Japanese that one might consider "fluent" is not justifiable at all. There are no career options that would make such an effort worthwhile; there are no people with whom I desperately long to communicate in Japanese. It might be cool to be able to read some Japanese literature or something, or bang a hot J-girl, but cost-benefit analysis of these payoffs is rather revealing. To be honest, the only reason I'm still working at it is learning for learning's sake, at this point--which is fine.

If I manage to bang a hot J-girl in the process, I guess that would be nice.
    Pretty much this. I have a friend who has his pre 1 kanji kantei, jlpt 1, and will be studying at kyoudai next april, and he came with very minimal Japanese. The amount of time he put in over 3 years to get to that level just isn't worth it to me.

I came w/ 4 years of uni, which was basically nothing when I got here (given how useless it was). I can now understand most conversations going on around me, and can hold sufficiently complex conversations to accomplish pretty much any task I actually need to do.
    If it puts it in perspective, I have taught an entire hour long class entirely in Japanese, rather effectively as far as the student was concerned, and have drank with parents entirely in Japanese for well over 6 hours straight w/o any serious communication problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    My comprehension has increased exponentially. I can understand 80-100% of the conversation around me, depending on the context and whether or not I'm actually meant to be included. My speaking, while now littered with local pronunciation, is much more fluent than when I arrived. I am able to do business dealings in Japanese, and get much less tired when I have to spend hours (or days) only speaking Japanese. Writing pretty much eludes me these days, though; I have to double-check kanji on my phone/computer before I feel confident handwriting them now. On the other hand, my reading is much improved. Even when I don't know the pronunciation of a particular kanji I've now have three years of input to help me decipher meaning in context. I'm also a bajillion times more confident in my ability to use Japanese to communicate meaning, even when I make mistakes.

To clarify, I studied Japanese for four years in college and did one semester of study abroad in Japan before JET.
    Sometimes I think you are me.
    Except I did a year study abroad and you seem much tidier than me in a household-way.

I think all the women on this site are the same. Except stanmarsh. Because she couldn't even make it to Japan.

People discount their years in Uni a lot, but most of the people I see with Uni experience progress a lot faster here than people studying from the ground up.

I discount my uni years because I have people who live near me who have progressed to a better level of Japanese than me in the same or less time than I have been here.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I discount my uni years because I have people who live near me who have progressed to a better level of Japanese than me in the same or less time than I have been here.
    This times 1000.

Sorry, I also discount it because it did nothing to help me get better at Japanese. It's the skills I've learned here for self-study and how to study the language which have created actual progress both inmyself and those individuals who have achieved a drastic increase in performance. Including those who self study.

What self study techniques have you seen to be most effective?

For me it seems mostly to keep the SRS rolling and experiencing and using the language as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    For me it seems mostly to keep the SRS rolling and experiencing and using the language as much as possible.
    Same here. Also, it helps to have a general willingness to attempt conversation even though you're quite aware that you sound significantly less intelligent than a semi-conscious Japanese person with severe mental retardation and Down Syndrome who was also just hit in the head with a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I think all the women on this site are the same. Except stanmarsh. Because she couldn't even make it to Japan.
    Based on what people say here about ALT incompetence, I am still not sure whether to be offended or proud that JET rejected me. BUT HEY GUESS WHAT? Most companies around here also have offices in Tokyo. I will go live there and come to Saitama and we can hang out and be BFFs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've managed to forget all of the Japanese I learned. Oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Guys I think the takeaway from all of this is that even though we all basically seem to agree we were able to turn it into a shitslinging contest, which is what really matters

Ditto what RL said for me. I need more work if I were to do something relating to customer service in Japanese, and I still have a hard time understanding old people and high school boys, but in everyday life I don't often have communication problems. I'm sure I still make plenty of mistakes when I speak but it doesn't feel exhausting like it did when I first got here.

I came with only a very basic knowledge (could read hiragana and katakana and a few kanji, could do a self-intro and ask where the bathroom was), and have gotten to the point where I mostly understand what's going on. I've never done a formal class, only self study. I study a lot in my downtime and have picked up a lot just from reading and chatting with people. I still have problems writing, though, usually have to double check kanji on my phone. I don't really feel like I have communication problems anymore and can do most things by myself. For example, I didn't have any real problem signing up for an apartment by myself. Considering that, when I first got here, I didn't know how to refuse the disposable chopsticks at a combini, I think I've made a ton of progress. I'm still going to continue to study mostly because I want to work here and not sound completely retarded. I don't really care about tests other than passing JLPT N1 for resume reasons, and even then as long as it's a passing score I don't care. I'm not taking the test again to just get a better score.

Most people I've met here who have decent Japanese studied it in some capacity before they came or have been here for 3+ years. I definitely should have learned more by now but I kind of get irritated at people who say "studying it at university didn't help". Sure it might not have given you fluency but it gave you a lot more than nothing.

When I came I kinda knew kana and had heisig'ed a bunch of a kanji.
    Spoken Japanese was the first 5 chapters of minna no nihongo or thereabouts, I did one semester of introduction to Japanese many years ago, most of which was fogotten.

Now...nowhere near as good as I should be after two years. I just failed JLPT N3 though I think I could have passed N4.
    All Japanese girlfriends do is leech your English. Maybe its transmitted through the winky hence a Japanese boyfriend would be a better choice language wise? :hmm:
    I think much of the problem was getting to a basic foundation level from where I could begin to seriously learn, my first year was a bit of a write off for visible signs of improvement.
    Last edited by Tyr; July 16th, 2013 at 13:30.

It definitely helped me a ton to have studied before coming here–I don't want to try to discount that at all–but unsurprisingly living here for three years has done way more for my ability than just studying ever did. Anyone who arrives with Japanese has an automatic leg up, but the frustrating part is how unhelpful it seems when you first arrive. You may have studied for four years, but you still feel barely able to communicate at first. It's a better position to be in than being exposed to Japanese for the very first time upon arrival, but there's something about knowing how much you don't know that's really scary when you've studied a lot and still don't know how you could possibly learn enough to live.
    time spent? because RL has such a hard time juggling her hectic schedule? Between her high pressure job and loving boyfriend I'm supprised she has time to post here at all.....