Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese learning apps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Japanese learning apps

Starting Yet Another Apps thread.... again.

Anyone ever used either of these JLPT apps? They're from the people who make 新完全マスター, so I wonder if they're worth the 12$.

JLPT N1 文法 新完全マスター必須文法形式123 | スリーエーネットワーク
    JLPT N2 文法 新完全マスター必須文法形式198 | スリーエーネットワーク
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: Japanese learning apps

I have a dictionary called, Japanese.....who would have thought, Kanji Flip, Kotoba and Kanji box.

They would all work better if I used them more often.

The dictionary has been very handy when out and about talking with Japanese people. The others for general study.

I haven't used the ones you mentioned Giz. I'd be interested to know myself though.
    I changed my sig for Meelynn

I didn't know they had an app! They have a Lite version, might wanna try that out and see how it is? Just taking a quick look at the app it's set up the same as the text so it could be good for on-the-go reviews! Think I might actually buy this, looks clean and the different colors make it more appealing than the black/white book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I downloaded the lite app, but haven't had time to actually try it. I'm currently focusing on n3 level japanese (even though my comprehension is much higher in day to day interactions) which is why I asked.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I wonder if there's plans to release a version in English? I like that there's tests you can take but I'd be more willing to spend the $$$ if I could get it in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I've found this really useful, it might be android only though:
    Kanji Recognizer

For kanji practice its the best thing I've had, you can make your own custom study lists, or go through JLPT kanji levels. The downside right now is load time for the quizzes, otherwise it's really neat.

It has an English interface now and it seems you can get it off jp amazon, there should be a lite version out there too to try. The full version gives you more access to quizzes.

That feature is built in with the chinese writing keyboard on iOS, and you can just use Imiwa for the dictionary feature.

I have that app, it's not all that useful except for bigger handwriting input. The quiz tends to mark some of my answers wrong, despite being correct. It would be much better if there was a built in jisho.org link instead of only readings.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

For the newbies out there using Genki to learn Japanese, I recently downloaded a good, simple app. I've got an android phone so I'm not sure if it also exists for iPhone. It's called GENKI Level 1 and is a very straightforward study & quiz app sorted by the lessons in Volume 1. You can review vocabulary (listed in kana, kanji, then English meaning), use flash cards, and quiz yourself. The quiz portion is multiple choice but allows you to pick between questions in Japanese with English answers & vice versa.

I am looking for a good app that will teach & quiz me on kanji. I've found plenty of apps that assume you already know kanji & just want to quiz yourself on them but no true teaching app. Any suggestions? For now I wouldn't even need a comprehensive app, even if it covered just N5 I would be set for a while.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    For the newbies out there using Genki to learn Japanese, I recently downloaded a good, simple app. I've got an android phone so I'm not sure if it also exists for iPhone. It's called GENKI Level 1 and is a very straightforward study & quiz app sorted by the lessons in Volume 1. You can review vocabulary (listed in kana, kanji, then English meaning), use flash cards, and quiz yourself. The quiz portion is multiple choice but allows you to pick between questions in Japanese with English answers & vice versa.

I am looking for a good app that will teach & quiz me on kanji. I've found plenty of apps that assume you already know kanji & just want to quiz yourself on them but no true teaching app. Any suggestions? For now I wouldn't even need a comprehensive app, even if it covered just N5 I would be set for a while.
    I just looked and for iOS there is a GENKI app (<- Link), seem to be mostly for vocab. It just came out on Jan. 3rd, 2014. so there aren't any reviews up yet. Says its on sale for $3.99 and after this month will be $5.99.

Seems like you could just find a Anki deck and use Anki mobile instead.

I used to like kakitori-kun for the DS in conjunction with Heisig.
    The thing about kanji learning is that there are some many methods, just check a few out and see what works for you. As an adult you shouldn't have to write them over and like a elementary kid. I suggest doing the first section of Heisig (which is downloadable for free), even if you don't like it, it will show you that there are different ways to approach it and that the little stupid things you do to help you remember one kanji might not be so stupid after all.

The Genki audio really helps too. I used to listen to it while driving.

I've tried a bunch of Japanese learning apps but the two I've found most useful are JA Sensei, which I use mostly for learning kanji and doing drawing quizzes, and the app version of Tae Kim's website Learn Japanese | Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese which is one of the most useful grammar guides I've come across online.
    They're both free but you have to pay a couple of quid to get the full version of JA Sensei. It's really worth it for the amount of material you get and the kanji learning section is particularly good for learning stroke order, quizzes and seeing other words that use the same kanji.
    Last edited by Nell; January 9th, 2014 at 07:12. Reason: grammar!

ihatefall: I do kind of like the apps that allow me to practice writing, just because it reinforces the muscle memory and helps me to really understand and differentiate one kanji from another. At the start they all kind of look like a bunch of lines & squiggles, no?

Nell: I just downloaded JA Sensei. I haven't decided if I want to shell out the $10 for the full version yet but it's been neat to explore. I'll look into the Tae Kim app too, thanks!
    I came here to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    ihatefall: I do kind of like the apps that allow me to practice writing, just because it reinforces the muscle memory and helps me to really understand and differentiate one kanji from another. At the start they all kind of look like a bunch of lines & squiggles, no?
    I was just saying writing them over and over again shouldn't be the ONLY way you remember them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Ah good, I hope you find it useful! Also this isn't really an app, but if anyone wants to practise speaking their Japanese, there's this website called italki where you can have online lessons with teachers or do free language exchange with other learners. My Japanese teacher charges £3 an hour and she's awesome...

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

I highly recommend WaniKani. The website's been in closed beta for a while now (almost 2 years), but it's not difficult to get an invite - just add your email to the list. Now that they've finally finished adding all of the content (50 levels of kanji + vocabulary fun!) I believe they'll be moving to an open beta soon. Definitely worth checking out in any case.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Oh, forgot to mention - there is an Android app that goes along with the website, so you can be all kanji all the time. I can't speak for sure if there's an app for iPhone as I do not possess one.

Says it's an "unofficial app" but there is one for iPhone too.
    WaniKani on the App Store on iTunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

If you want an app where you can practice writing kanji, I have had some good results using Skritter. I've also discovered a pretty cool site called Cerego (they have a mobile app too), where they focus on adaptive learning. It's like a cleaner, modern version of Quizlet. The cool part is that it shows you a chart on how much you have actually memorized the material and it tells you exactly what time you need to review the material before you start forgetting it again. Then there is also iKnow!, which is actually own by Cerego. It's a similar interface but I definitely get more a Rosetta Stone vibe from this (in terms of them incorporating sentences and you have to fill in the blank with the correct word and conjugation). The only downside is that if you want to get the full experience, you have to pay 9.99/month (or something like that). But I still enjoy the free version too.

Any of the apps mentioned here work on an offline ipad 1?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    an offline ipad 1?
    Enjoying the good life with your interac salary I see.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.