Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What actually happens if you break contract?

Default What actually happens if you break contract?

So i'm entering my 2nd, and last, year on JET. I haven't really enjoyed it as much as I thought I would have because to be honest, I think the jobs a joke and don't like it at all. I'm not in the inaka either, i'm in a relatively large city. I've decided that i'm going to try from here on to find a job back in my home country (the US) and quit JET and break contract if/when I get an offer.

My question is this, what actually happens if you break contract? I don't want the Official JET forums bs of "omg its so bad for the program", because I don't care. I also don't really care about the flight home because I have enough frequent flyer miles with JAL to go home for free in first class anyway.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Default Re: What actually happens if you break contract?

Well, depending on how you leave, you'll probably have to do a ton of apologizing and whatnot, but as for any other major consequences besides your flight home, I don't think there are any. One JET in my prefecture left in March because of a job offer, and there didn't seem to be any big issue.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Nothing.

Let me be clear:
    You won't get your flight home paid for.
    You are no longer in the beginning of your first term of work, meaning they can't reclaim costs for Tokyo Orientation from you, nor initial airfare.
    If you have used more vacation days in the current year than you are allowed, you will have those days deducted from your final pay check. (keep in mind, days off are scaled, not lump sum regardless of working period. Say you get 20 days off, you work for half a year, you will only get 10 days off instead).
    You must notify them within the period of notification laid out in your contract. Mine says 30 days advance. Check yours. If you break with less than 30 days notice, they can do strange things including not paying you for that last period of work.

Also:
    They may want you to apologize, you do not have to at all.
    They may want to keep money from you for various "expenses", there is very little you can do about this except encourage them not to.
    They may go out of their way to prevent you from using vacation days after you notify them of contract termination.

As an aside: If you have better opportunities back home, then take them. Don't listen to the rest of the junior mints on the JET programme who have bought into the BS, do what YOU need to do. This is a job contract, not a period of servitude, and we have legal ways to end the contract when we want to. If you treat them with respect when you leave, and provide convincing reasons (to them) as to why you must go, then I don't expect there will be any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Nothing other than losing out on the free flight home. As long as you tell people far enough in advance, it shouldn't be a big deal either. We've had a couple of people go home for various reasons, and there hasn't been any hard feelings.

word

Pretty much everything these guys have said. Try to be decent to 'em and give 'em notice and stuff, but don't stress about it; as you've come to realize, this isn't really a viable career choice for 90% of the people who come here. Many Japanese people know this and I've met more than a few who would kill to be able to quit working in the Japanese education system and go work in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Thanks all. Your comments were pretty much what I assumed. I made the mistake of calling the CLAIR hotline to ask about it and they gave me an incredibly vague and useless response along the lines of "well you are in a new contract and the BOE might be surprised if you quit".

I just figured that since i'm not going to do ESL as a career anyway it would be better to find a job now since I know i'm not going to recontract for JET again, as opposed to not looking and then not having a job when I go back to the US.

Def going to give the BOE ample notice though. They've been pretty good to me and I have quite a bit of respect for them

I'm not a JET but I do want to chime in and say do what's best for your own well-being. One foreigner sticking it out is not going to change the country's mindset that ALTs are glorified freeters (I've been called a baito at an enkai before, and I tend to agree).
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Also, if you do it early enough, you'll make some alternate very, very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

This is true. break contract before december if you can, that way a C group can be upgraded (super late) and come over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

on the other hand....you may not be able to find a job back home for the full year of this contract. I know people with good degrees and experience that have spent a year or longer searching for jobs, especially if they were insistent on being in a specific area. Good luck with the job hunt and like others have said - dont be a dick on the way out and all should be ok.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by Fitchaber10 View Post
    I think the jobs a joke
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Just wanted to let everyone know how this turned out. I ended up leaving Japan in late September of 2013. It was the best decision of my life. I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and realized that the thing that was making me the most unhappy was my job and living in Japan.

I experienced a lot of power bullying in the workplace where I was constantly yelled at, sexually harassed and even locked in a closet at one point (had to climb out the window above the door in order to get out). I had tried expressing my concerns to the BoE and CLAIR, but they told me their hands were tied and that all they could do was ask the school to be nicer. This made matters worse for me at school.

One Friday (also payday) after work I went to the bank, withdrew all my cash, booked my flight home using frequent flyer miles (business class to boot!) and left, without telling anyone. I cleaned my apartment and got rid of the furniture, so that my successor would be fine when they moved in. I also cancelled soft bank and left like three hundred in my account to cover my last credit card payment. I was in Narita before I even e-mailed my PA/CIR at the BoE. As soon as I was on the plane leaving Japan I felt the weight of the world fly away. When I was in Japan I suffered tension headaches and was depressed (due to the situation at work). Since returning to the US, I haven't had a single one and never regret leaving. I now live and work in a major city as a study abroad advisor!

If you're unhappy, just leave. The contract means jack all and the job isn't worth getting depressed over.

They locked you in a closet? Mind telling us that story?

Yeah dude. Many of us have misgivings about being JET's, but I have yet to meet anyone who was confined in a closet. Hell, none of my schools care enough about me to even try to confine me.

I teared up a little. Hearing Japan escape stories gives me hope.

Jesus, your situation sounds like a living nightmare. I'm glad you got out.

Just wanted to let everyone know how this turned out. I ended up leaving Japan in late September of 2013. It was the best decision of my life. I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and realized that the thing that was making me the most unhappy was my job and living in Japan.

I experienced a lot of power bullying in the workplace where I was constantly yelled at, sexually harassed and even locked in a closet at one point (had to climb out the window above the door in order to get out). I had tried expressing my concerns to the BoE and CLAIR, but they told me their hands were tied and that all they could do was ask the school to be nicer. This made matters worse for me at school.
    I find it hard to believe your coworkers did that, and if it was your students you should know better than to put yourself in that position.

One Friday (also payday) after work I went to the bank, withdrew all my cash, booked my flight home using frequent flyer miles (business class to boot!) and left, without telling anyone. I cleaned my apartment and got rid of the furniture, so that my successor would be fine when they moved in. I also cancelled soft bank and left like three hundred in my account to cover my last credit card payment. I was in Narita before I even e-mailed my PA/CIR at the BoE. As soon as I was on the plane leaving Japan I felt the weight of the world fly away. When I was in Japan I suffered tension headaches and was depressed (due to the situation at work). Since returning to the US, I haven't had a single one and never regret leaving. I now live and work in a major city as a study abroad advisor!

If you're unhappy, just leave. The contract means jack all and the job isn't worth getting depressed over.
    I'm not sure you're qualified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Good for you. You acted like an immature child. Jumping on a plane and THEN telling your BOE is bullshit. I agree with everyone in the beginning that breaking contract isn't a bad thing. But man up and be an adult.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Def going to give the BOE ample notice though. They've been pretty good to me and I have quite a bit of respect for them
    welp

That story is some of the most cringeworthy stuff I have read on here. This person got LITERALLY locked in a closet? lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

PLEASE tell that story.

If stuff was really bad to the point of physical manifestations, why did you recontract in the first place? You acted like a child to get rid of a job you feel is useless, for an (almost) equally useless job back in the states while acting like a jerk-off. Good riddance.