Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What actually happens if you break contract?

Default Re: What actually happens if you break contract?

getting locked in a cupboard isnt that far fetched. My dad locked someone in a bank vault once....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    getting locked in a cupboard isnt that far fetched. My dad locked someone in a bank vault once....
    parker.jpg

?

Did a safe-cracker turned shoe seller break them out and then get ignored by the police, or have I been reading too many textbooks?
    ...because Japan.

nah, he had a massive panic attack and quit his job. game, set, match IniKamoze Sr
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    For the first time on ITIL I have genuinely laughed unexpectedly and caught the attention of the wider staff room. You just brought back the best goddamn memory, Jiggit.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Did a safe-cracker turned shoe seller break them out and then get ignored by the police, or have I been reading too many textbooks?
    We use that textbook too.

On purpose? Either way, that's a story I want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Lian, what kinds of things did you leave undone?
    Before I left, I did everything in my power (I didn't technically break contract though. Just cashed in a whole ton of nenkyuu) to tie up everything. However, my BOE insisted I didn't need to unregister from my town office at the time, even though I had mentioned I was moving to a new town. They said it wasn't necessary. It screwed up my visa renewal, though, because it turns out it was necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    ...my BOE insisted I didn't need to unregister from my town office at the time, even though I had mentioned I was moving to a new town. They said it wasn't necessary. It screwed up my visa renewal, though, because it turns out it was necessary.
    So the thing that every single CLAIR, Interac, official government pension refund, etc, guide says is vitally important turns out to be vitally important. Who knew.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    So the thing that every single CLAIR, Interac, official government pension refund, etc, guide says is vitally important turns out to be vitally important. Who knew.
    But Antonath she asked her BoE what reason would she have to believe they might not be fully competent?

Yeah, so I almost left contract recently. The 30 days thing in the contract is what scares me the most. Very few employers are actually going to allow you 30 days between the offer letter and the official start date. Also, it doesn't specify in the contract if it is 30 business days or not. Ideas?

Banned

Thirty business days would be preposterous.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coheeshosho View Post
    Yeah, so I almost left contract recently. The 30 days thing in the contract is what scares me the most. Very few employers are actually going to allow you 30 days between the offer letter and the official start date. Also, it doesn't specify in the contract if it is 30 business days or not. Ideas?
    Explain to both your prospective and current employers that you'll be in exactly the same situation as almost every other person in the world who has ever left a job in favour of a newer job and wait for either of them to tell you that they can or can't accommodate/help you based on your situation.

Or sick up everywhere on a Wednesday morning and get yourself fired, although I can't really support this approach. Communication is key!
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Good advice. Now that it am past the 1 year, "you have to pay for your plane ticket/ Tokyo orientation," segment of my misadventure, I'm feeling pretty good about leaving. Maybe they should pay me for cleaning 10 years of ALT shit out of my filthy, fucked up apartment.

You could go down the big daikon/Rudd crunch route of getting fired.....

You could go down the big daikon/Rudd crunch route of getting fired.....
    Is that a specific story or just a general method?

Its not been confirmed but the story he was sticking by went he was sat at his desk in the staffroom. He went to fart but accidentally sharted so waddled off to the toilet to clean himself up. When got back to his desk he thought he had gotten away with it but to his horror he spotted in the middle of the office a small lump of poo. Before anything could be done a member of staff stood in it and recoiled in disgust. the staffroom was in uproar but he kept his head down. Before long the special needs kid was blamed for the crime and was berated by the staff. After a while the young alts conscience got the better of him and he admitted the fecal matter was his. Calls were made to BOEs, angry principals had angry meetings with angry supervisors and eventually it was decided it would be best if he left.

Of course this is all bollocks but it made for a good story. The fact some people confirmed that an ALT in the area had been fired recently added to the legend.

I am both sorry and glad I asked.

Every time an ALT is fired a baby seal loses its wings. This job is basically a form of purgatory. They give you a laptop and long periods of downtime to study Japanese and find a new job. Thanks, I guess. The fact that nobody ever learns English helps my search, because it gives me a viable skill-set, whereas in America I have no experience or skills to speak of. It would be good to hear from folks who have had the experience of breaking contract to find work in Japan outside the program. Less helpful are the people that broke it to return to a home country because we all know that Japan can't really do anything in that case. Thanks.
    Last edited by coheeshosho; July 24th, 2014 at 08:15.