Thread: Applying to JET while working in a foreign country

Default Applying to JET while working in a foreign country

Alright everyone, this is my first post and possibly a somewhat straight forward question.

Currently, I am in South Korea working with EPIK(or rather one of the provincial equivalents) and my contract ends next May, so I'm wanting to apply to JET for the 2014 intake. I know I will have to send all of my documents to Washington and come back to America for an interview(if I get one). I'm wondering if anyone else has experience doing this or suggestions about getting things together on time with the mailing distance involved. I know it must be possible even if it is a greater pain in the ass than just the normal application process.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Applying to JET while working in a foreign country

Just sort out your transcript/letter of recommendation as early as possible.

There might be something special with the FBI check as well, which may require information from your local korean police station. I vaguely remember something about that from this years intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hmmm, transcripts shouldn't be terrible. I think I might actually have original copies with me in korea, but I need to double check that they aren't just copies.
    Don't my letters of recommendation need some form that goes with them? Or are you just saying to arrange people to write them?

Ahh, yeah I found that with a bit more searching. Shouldn't be to hard to get a background check in country.

Arranging people to write them, getting them the form, having everything in the sealed envelopes to include in your application. IE get as much stuff as possible done before the deadline in case people are slow.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I was in the exact same position. You are going to need a background check but probably not till after the interview. You will have to get this from your local police station and then have it translated and certified which can be done in soul. The local police can finger print you for the FBI check. Also recommendation letters from people with nifty titles works well.

Nifty titled recommendation letters can't really be had until after I finish my contract which would be much too late, but my co-teacher said she would be willing to write one.
    Think they will go for that?

It works. My school had all my friends as managers and gave them cool titles even though they were just basically head teachers.

VIP

I am currently teaching at an Elementary school in Bangladesh and will be applying for JET this year. I feel your pain.

The day the forms go live, I'm emailing the person writing my letter of recommendation and they are mailing it to me the day after that so it will get to me on time. The forms went live on Oct. 5th last year I think and the application around Oct. 22nd. If you take any medications at all, you will need to fill out the physician's form. So start thinking about making a doctor's appointment.

I am afraid that my package will get lost so I am making a 2nd packet just in case.

So I am filling out my application and I came across a bit of a problem.
    Current Contact Information....

I should put Korea to be accurate, but if they try to send me things I will probably not get them in time.
    Which is better? To keep using my permanent address where family members are acting for me or be accurate and put my Korean address?

I would use your family address as your permanent address.

If there is a space for temporary address, use that for korea.

It says current contact info...
    I'm worried if I put it and I get an interview and they mail me the stuff in Korea and it takes 2 weeks to get here I might end up SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    It says current contact info...
    I'm worried if I put it and I get an interview and they mail me the stuff in Korea and it takes 2 weeks to get here I might end up SOL.
    Easy answer, contact your consulate. Tell them what's going on. That's all there is to it.
    I had a similar problem but I didn't even know mine was going to happen. Just communicate with your consulate and you'll have no problem. You might even ask them to send it to your parents or something instead, just to be safe.

I am able to put my overseas address but my phone number won't fit. It is 13 numbers with the country code and 12 without. At the moment I am putting my parent's numbers for everything. I will contact the consulate as well, because I don't want them mailing things to Germany.

Mo, Got an email back from the JET coordinator at the Dallas Consulate here was his response:

Dear dstin,

I think it’s fine to note your Korean Address, but be aware that if you’re going to need things mailed back to you, you will need to include the proper postage. That said, you can also just use your permanent address and have parents/family contact you from there.

Most of the contact that we use is by email or phone, so it should be fine.

Good Luck,