Thread: Elementary and JHS students together.

Default Elementary and JHS students together.

My school is planning a class where we are having 6th graders and 2nd year JHS together in a class. I was wondering if anyone had any good activities for this type of situation?

Default Re: Elementary and JHS students together.

what are the aims?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Motivate the kids towards English. Its an hour class which is pretty open ended. I kind of get the vibe my teachers want the JHS mentoring and teaching the ES kids.

Things which have been brain stormed thus far are.

Immigration (JHS give a presentation on a country then ES go around doing fake passport interviews for each country)
    Store: (JHS kids run stores and the ES kids go around asking for different objects with helper JHS kids)
    Posters JHS kids and ES make posters in groups about what they want to be then present.
    Turning their desks into a town and having the students navigate.

I forget, do you teach at ES, too? The most important bit would be to find out what those 6th graders can do and where they are in the book (whatever book that may be). If it's something they haven't done yet (or did half a year ago) sucking at it won't be very motivational for 'em. It might be best to talk with the school (or their ALT?) and see what they'll have been working on before the class or what they're already good at (so you can "level up" and make it challenging yet still familiar). Then you can go from there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

They are all my kids so I know their ability class wise pretty well. The 6th grade teacher is also a former JTE so they are pretty decent in terms of English ability.