Thread: Best and worst thing you have tried for Japanese study?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best and worst thing you have tried for Japanese study?

So what is the best and worst thing you have tried for Japanese study?

Best:Graded readers. These really helped me solidify a lot of things.

Worst: I stopped using an SRS because i got sick of flashcards.
    Last edited by jwkelley; September 2nd, 2013 at 12:27.

Default Re: Best and worst thing you have tried for Japanese study?

Best: Reading kids books.

Worst: Trying to find Japanese music to listen to, it's truly unbelievable how terrible almost all of it is.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Best: Going out to bars and having random conversations with people

Worst: Having Japanese people teach me useful things at said bars after I've had a few to drink....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Worst believe it or not was my 001 and 002 classes in college. The teacher was crap, no wonder PSU wouldn't renew her green card.

Best is probably buying comics that haven't been translated, since I have to do it myself. I can't remember what someone just said to me but I can if I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

sorry to necro this thread but I thought it was rather interesting.

Best: telling the exchange students I studied with in college to completely avoid english, but instead speak to me like I was a 5 year old.

Worst: trying to read material well beyond my abilities, looking up every other word.

Best: A program called Read the Kanji (free or paid website) really helped me learned the kana and I am getting a paid membership to prepare for the JLPT.

Worst: watching anything dubbed in Japanese (western, Japanese, foreign, or otherwise) unless its a movie you have seen 100+ times...
    I want a giant robot.....

Worst: self study
    Best: reading light novels; they're harder than comics but easier (and usually more interesting) than actual literature

Best: blagging a job which requires a Japanese level way above what you can do.

Worst: consuming pop culture, whatever you pick up on tv won't help you in a professional setting.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

best: tricking a j-person with no english ability/interest into marrying me
    worst: tricking a j-person with no english ability/interest into marrying me
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Haha this.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    ^^haha....seriously on the floor..

My friend asked his wife to start correcting him more, she told him she was too use to the way he speaks to correct him.

That isn't the first time I've heard that one.

Having a few friends with JP spouses, it can go either way. Personally, I would want someone who doesn't find my Japanrish an amusing idiosyncrasy

Top 3 Best
    3: Writing things in Japanese without thinking about it in English first. (Really hard at first, but easy to adjust to)
    2: Making Japanese friends that have no desire/have such poor English that they only talk to you in Japanese.
    1: Taking the shuuden because people are definitely more talkative, and i think we know why

Top 3 Worst
    3: Sticking to my textbooks - worst way to learn in my opinion and fastest way to forget what little I did learn.
    2: MMOs in Japanese - they create the worst habits if you start out early on learning to speak this way. I'd go as far as to say an ALT would get a more sophisticated conversation from the primary school kids.
    1: Making Japanese friends that really want to learn English. Its great if you want friends and want to learn to rely on them, but it'll bite you in the end if you want to become independent and improve your own Japanese.

Best: Reading stuff in Japanese that I'm already interested in (manga, video games, etc.), looking up words and grammar I don't know, and plugging them into my flashcard deck. It's certainly helped my literacy, though obviously doesn't do much for speaking/listening ability

Worst: Trying to learn with textbooks. They're all pretty terrible and I've only ever learned anything from them after having a teacher give me a better explanation for what was in the book.

Best: Taking Japanese in university, and getting a Japanese study partner.

Worst: Taking Japanese in university, and studying with a classmate. It's like the blind leading the blind.