Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2014

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Applying for 2014

You're more than welcome to post it in here, and I'll publicly criticize it when I have a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

you are probably better off waiting for a nice person to offer to read it if you PM it to them. If you post it publicly you [may receive inappropriate responses].
    Last edited by word; September 30th, 2013 at 13:16. Reason: Out-of-control moderating.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I can take a look at it too, probably won't have time until Monday though.

Thanks again guys Yep, definitely won't be posting it publicly! Jiggit and coop52, if it's alright I'll wait till Monday to send it, get it in the best shape possible first. Just checking that I'm not totally out to lunch - I'm supposed to be writing about what I can offer JET as an ALT and why I want to do JET (with a focus on what I can offer) yeah?

Hey everyone! I worked on my first SoP draft this weekend! Anyone willing to give it a read?

Sure, send me a PM and I can take a look at it.

I know there are probably a lot of lurkers who will check out this thread, but I feel like there should be a gentle reminder of "maybe it's not a good idea to sign up using your given/family name".

I noticed a lot of people doing so already.
    Last edited by Lianwen; October 2nd, 2013 at 12:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Thank you, Lian; I'll make an announcement about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Canadian aspiring ALT here, humbly joining the line for possible SoP editing! Once I get my rear in gear and write it up, that is. This looks like a great community (without mentioning some of the lounge threads I've lurked...)! I joined the official JET forums just in time for them to close on me Glad that someone mentioned another awesome resource for us newbies to invade!!

Don't think it was mentioned but if you and your partner are financially able he can come in on a student visa and study in Japan. The language school or college will sponsor his visa for the duration of the stay. If you pick a long term course he could potentially stay for up to 2 years. The issue with that is if you are placed in the inaka you might be far apart and while the shinkansen is all nice and flashy its expensive for a daily commute. Just a thought though. With a student visa he can apply to be allowed to work up to i think 20 hours p/w

Update - we are not getting married just to make this easier (and sticking with the original plan of getting married after the program IF I get in) Anyway, now I'm wondering what to put on the section of the application asking if I'm wanting to come with a partner. He will most likely be coming to Japan around the same time as me (if not the exact same time) but it isn't a deal-breaker if he can't stay for the whole year (but I think we have a decent plan of how to do that, at least for 9 months). Do I say I have a partner coming? I don't want them to think that I won't go unless he can come and that I'm super dependent on him.

Japan doesn't acknowledge the concept of partners/common law. That is something the consulate can deal with.

If you're married, you're married. if you're not, you might as well break up. Some places will be okay with an unmarried couple living together, other places will not be. Your risk, your choice.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm not really worried about what will happen in Japan yet - I'll worry about that if I get in. Right now I'm more concerned with what to put on my application, I must not have been clear about that. The Canadian application has a section that says:

11a. Will you be accompanied by family members (or partner) if selected for the JET Programme, or do you wish to be placed with another applicant who is a family member (or partner)?

Accompanied refers to someone (including children) who intends to live with you permanently while participating on the JET Programme. A partner refers to a spouse, fiancé(e), boyfriend/girlfriend or someone of equivalent status. Only a legal spouse is eligible for a Spousal Dependent’s Visa. A fiancé(e), boyfriend/girlfriend or someone of equivalent status is not eligible and is subsequently responsible for their own visa arrangements.
    I understand allll the visa stuff now, and I do know that some places won't allow us to live together even though we're engaged. He will have his own separate arrangements for getting to Japan, and if necessary, staying in Japan, but like I said, I'm not worrying about that yet. I'm just wondering if I should put on my application that I will be "accompanied". Will it help our chances of being placed somewhere we can live together (if I got in)? And I know only special accommodations are made for married couples. Will it hinder my chances of getting accepted because they would be worried that I might back out if we can't figure out what to do with him since he won't be a dependant? (I wouldn't). My future brother-in-law is a former JET and said he knew a decent amount of bf/gfs living together, when only one was a member of the program.

It will not hurt you in getting placed.

If you put it on the form, the consulate will deal with things for the most part. You do not need to worry.

If you are accepted they still might not like it. Welcome to Japan eh?

Japan does not care about engagement, only the legal document. Promises mean shit in this country.

Honestly, to make your life MUCH easier, if you plan to live with your significant other, just get married. It saves you VISA headaches, it saves you contracting organization headaches, it's easier for the Japanese to understand....

If it were me, on a review panel, I would ask this question "You were planning to be wed before coming on JET. Why didn't you deal with the problem before going, given how simple a thing it is to deal w/ at city hall, or are you that insecure in your relationship (given you need to delay the act of wedding by such a substantial amount of time) that you will probably break up and cause many people problems in your emotional distress?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    That's all I wanted to know. Thanks.

I certainly hope if I get an interview, my review panel won't make such crazy judgements.

If it were me, on a review panel, I would ask this question "You were planning to be wed before coming on JET. Why didn't you deal with the problem before going, given how simple a thing it is to deal w/ at city hall, or are you that insecure in your relationship (given you need to delay the act of wedding by such a substantial amount of time) that you will probably break up and cause many people problems in your emotional distress?"
    This is a little harsh IMO ...

I don't think it will affect your chances of getting in if you list it on the application, but bear in mind that this probably also means your CO will know that you plan on having him come to live with you. If they decide to take issue with it it might mean having to find separate housing without BOE assistance (as much as they might try to intimidate you, they can't legally prevent you from living with a significant other unless you're in BOE-owned housing, but they can decide to revoke a housing supplemental stipend or even not to recontract you). Honestly it might be better just to not say anything and wait to see if you get accepted, then tell the consulate.

I know someone who got married basically just to get the visa for their SO when they came on JET (they'd been planning to get married but not quite yet) and it pretty much broke them up. Adjusting to marriage plus trying to adjust to Japanese culture was too much to handle all at once.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; October 18th, 2013 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    This is a little harsh IMO ...

I know someone who got married basically just to get the visa for their SO when they came on JET (they'd been planning to get married but not quite yet) and it pretty much broke them up. Adjusting to marriage plus trying to adjust to Japanese culture was too much to handle all at once.
    Exactly why I said it that harshly. To get the person to consider why they would/wouldn't be married by that time if they are engaged (though I get the impression that many people talk about engagement like the nth step of a relationship, not the pre-commitment to marriage waiting on financial resources). Can they live together? Can they operate together? Married or not, it doesn't make that much difference when you come to Japan, other than having the legal document. It's easier to deal with that break up back home than it is in Japan, and I've heard about (and seen) the people you just described windy... It's not pretty. Better to think about it now than later, and better to figure it all out now rather than later.

I think it's fairer to say that stating that you will be accompanied will not affect your chances of being approved by CLAIR. What the various boards of education will think is a different matter. You can easily get past the interview and still not be selected by a contracting organisation.

And it's far from a "crazy judgement". The interview panel is there to judge whether a person is suitable to be an ALT, but also how well they will cope with living in Japan. It's more than a simple job interview, and you being accompanied by someone you're not married to is very much part of that consideration, whether it be how you will handle it, or how your employers and/or neighbours will handle it.
    Last edited by Antonath; October 18th, 2013 at 09:18. Reason: What a horrible first sentence...
    ...because Japan.

Though Giz' question was harsh, it's always better to imagine the most brutal, crazy questions for interview preparation. Prepare for a worst-case scenario, and no matter what, you'll be prepared for what they throw at you.

In regards to marriage--MG and I are the poster children for "what not to do." We didn't get married. She came over on a "temporary visitor pass" (not technically a "tourist visa" as it is commonly called). This was a bad idea. I do not recommend that anyone do this. Yeah, it all worked out for us in the end, but it would have been a million, billion, gajillion times easier if we had gotten married back at home--even in secret, on paper only--and applied for a dependent visa that way.

Seriously, bringing a partner over without being married is a bad idea.

Now, I don't give a sh*t about being married. It's just paper. I don't understand why governments are involved at all. However, as both Giz and windy have pointed out...

...it is really, really hard. It was really, really hard on MG and I--first the LDR, then the life together in Japan. We had been living together for over three years in the 'States, and it was still hard for us. Moving is stressful. Culture shock is stressful. LDRs are stressful. Cohabitation is stressful. Combine all of these things, and f*ck.

What I always, always tell people is simple: if you have to ask whether or not your relationship can survive all this, it can't. Period.

If it can, then the government malarkey (marriage certificate, whatever) doesn't really matter, because you know you'll be all right no matter what. If you're in the former group, just break up now. It will be easier. If you're in the latter, then get married, because it will save you a f*ck of a lot of trouble later on down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.