Thread: 2nd Edition Genki Workbook + 1st Edition Textbook?

Default 2nd Edition Genki Workbook + 1st Edition Textbook?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here would happen to know how different the second edition of the Genki textbook is as compared with the first edition. I already have the first edition textbut now I need a work book and it's cheaper and easier to just buy the second edition.

Thanks!
    I came here to laugh at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: 2nd Edition Genki Workbook + 1st Edition Textbook?

From what I saw there was a pretty big reorder of things between book one and two, as well as a pretty massive update in terms of vocabulary used. I didn't look at my friends v2 very long, but it certainly felt different than my v1.

If I can borrow it from him in the next couple of days I can tell you just how different they are as I have my v1 here at my desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

They changed some vocabulary (less tape player, more CD/iPod), and updated the cultural notes quite a bit. I'd honestly recommend getting the new textbook too since the first edition is from 92.

One big change is that the book now comes with the exercise CD. When I got my set, you had to get the CDs separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

As an update, I did end up buying the second edition workbook and have been using it in conjunction with the first edition text. I compared my first edition book to my tutor's second edition and the content was all the same in the first two chapters but was laid out slightly differently.

SHIT! I'm glad you bought it... I asked my mate for his v2 the day I posted, and then totally forgot (and him being useless... well ya know).

Sorry!

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Couldn't you just "acquire it in a totally legal way" from the Internet?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I suppose I could've looked, but I can't imagine anyone would've gone to the trouble of scanning the entire book and putting itonline.

No problem Gizmo - I appreciate the effort though. I was very lucky; sometimes being a cheap skate pays off.

Ini - I found a site where I could have "legally acquired" a PDF of the first edition workbook for a small download fee. It ended up being cheaper to buy the physical copy of the new workbook thanks to an unused Barnes & Noble gift card from my birthday. I never looked to see if I could "legally acquire" the second edition text book. All I'm missing out on are cultural notes (so far bowing angles and presentation of business cards were covered) but my tutor tells me about them as they come up. Also, in chapter 1 they swapped out the use of 'senmon' in favor of 'senkou'.

Ohh well that's good! Everyone here looked at me like an idiot when I used senmon instead of senkou.

A certain cove of corsairs had the PDFs and mp3s up
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Ohh well that's good! Everyone here looked at me like an idiot when I used senmon instead of senkou.
    Same here. Did they switch ~と言う to ~って言う as well? Because I always get nabbed for that one unless it's keigo.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

I'll ask my tutor next week during my lesson, zombiekelly. We haven't gotten far enough in the book yet to even see kanji and technically we haven't "learned" katakana yet either. Another amusing find this week was that my first edition included 'Tepu' but not 'T-shatsu' in the shopping vocabulary list.

At my uni. we had a native Japanese teacher and an American grad student TA teaching the class, and the Japanese teacher chewed the TA out when she found out he had taught us to say senkou instead of senmon so we wouldn't get laughed at by Japanese people for using senmon, as he learned the hard way. The Japanese he taught us was more accurate than the textbook, but she still yelled at him because "We need to teach what the textbook says." *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by tobenaitori View Post
    ...native Japanese teacher..."We need to teach what the textbook says."
    There's yer problem.
    ...because Japan.

Definitely a Japanese teacher then... teach the textbook! TEACH THE TEXTBOOK! THE TEXTBOOK IS GOD!

I have a pdf file of the answer key for the second edition of of the Genki Workbook. So if you need it pm me the only problem is it only covers the 120 pages I think. It doesn't cover the Kana and Kanji exercises.

Any you guys ever used the Minna no Nihongo books?

If so, what did you think of them?