Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outage Tuesday Oct 1st

Default Outage Tuesday Oct 1st

We had an outage today (Tues Oct 1st). I was getting database errors for about four hours, from around 12pm to 4pm (JST).

If we're hoping to attract people now that Official has killed their applying section, this does not help.
    ...because Japan.

Default Re: Outage Tuesday Oct 1st

Yeah, that sucked. No idea what happened; apparently BB couldn't even get on an' had to contact the hosting company. Hopefully the issue has been more or less completely resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'd say without any uninformed dribble or outright incompetence it was probably the best 4 hours the site has seen in quite some time
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Hey now! We're doin' what we can!

It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hi,

As word said, I couldn't even get connect via SSH to see what the problem was. I got over 2000 emails from the server saying basically 'oh dear, we've got a problem' in regards too many people accessing the database.

Hosting company says we ran out of memory (RAM). This happened again this morning.

I said to them that the site is at the lowest usage since we opened the site years ago and running out of memory makes no sense. We could be under a DDoS attack, but I doubt it - we're not exactly on anybody's radars.

I've said to the hosting company many times that I suspect its a configuration issue with the server. Unfortunately if it doesn't get resolved I'm going to have to look elsewhere to host the site.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Official has killed their applying section
    Why is this? Do they do this every year around application time?

Sorry, I'm new :s

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post

Unsure - I'm not really up to date on these things. Maybe word will know more. However, a year or so ago the JET programme was in decline and as far as I know it still is. I hope it isn't a sign that the program is coming to an end...
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post

No, this is a first. The applying section has been there for years, but they've removed it permanently now. You won't be able to access any information from there, unfortunately.
    いいみで

no great loss, nobody on official knows what they are talking about
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I wouldn't say the JET Program is in decline as much as I'd say need for forums about the JET Program are in decline. Most new JETs stick to FB.

Doubt its in decline as the government said in april they wanted it to increase 3 fold in the next few years

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    I wouldn't say the JET Program is in decline as much as I'd say need for forums about the JET Program are in decline. Most new JETs stick to FB.
    If that isn't the saddest thing to hear I don't know what is. Facebok is the ultimate echo chamber of idiocy, where everyone says the same thing, and noone knows what they are talking about at all.

I mean ini is right, none of us know jack shit about this thing.... but atleast with enough voices who have done it you can sort of sound out some parts of the process... now a bunch of noobs are going to talk about it on facebook with absolutely no idea about the process at all, and I sure as shit ain't gonna go track down every new facebook group to offer help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If I were an applying JET, I'd rather have the advice of itil than from FB, where others are just as lost in the application process.

Randy Paul can write "I really wanna join JET and watch the anime babes please tell me if that's okay for my sop" on facebook and get a bunch of "awwww, yeah man, I totally agree don't forget to write about culture too" on FB; or, Bettercallpaul can write on itil and get a reality check by Ini.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons why Official shut down their aspiring was because Miamicoordinator left. He was a big part in moderating the applying JETs and providing advice, a lot of it probably on his own time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

I was wondering about Miami, too. He (I thought she was a she...?) was always really helpful. Shame the forums had to lose him/her.
    いいみで

I think it was confirmed once Miami was a dude. Not sure now.

(I also keep reading the title of this thread as outrage Tuesday Oct 1st)
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

(I also keep reading the title of this thread as outrage Tuesday Oct 1st)
    omfg me too

Same.
    いいみで

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

rawr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I just assumed it was about antonath declaring his homosexuality........

If you want to see a hilarious ball of idiocy, you should see Interac's fb group. Scary thing is that it's only for those who were accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.