Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook worry

Default Facebook worry

So there is a JET pg on FB and alot of people are talking about what got them into their interest in Japan. Many people were influenced from when they were really young, like 6/7 young...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone what I was doing at 6yrs old. There's also alot of people who are really good at Japanese, love anime, and love Japanese movies in the mix too. I think that these are all valid interests and pretty cool to read but I'm not anything like these people. I developed an interest 2yrs ago (@20yrs old) because I was volunteering with my local international organization. We put on an annual folk fair and I was in charge of keeping a couple of departments in line and overseeing their work and the Japan dept was one of my responsibilities for those 2 yrs. I never gave Japan a second thought before that but working with people from Japan and helping to organize events for american children to understand their culture is what made me interested in Japan. Hearing all these confessions of people loving Japan forever made me feel bad since I haven't been that way....I guess JET is looking for the anime/kangi/karate lover???? IDK current/former JETS what are your thoughts?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Facebook worry

Remember, this is in applying, not accepted JETs. There is a pretty big difference between people who are actually here, and the general dredges that actually apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Nobody likes a anime nerd. They crawl out the woodwork around jet application season, fail at the interview stage then slink back into their parents basements. JET isnt a "who loves Japan the best" contest. you'll be fine.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ok! Its really fun to read everyone's interests though. I think I'm going to try to forget about JET til January an d focus on these finals!! I can't do JET if I don't pass European Federalism 1st...uggggghhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Nobody likes a anime nerd. They crawl out the woodwork around jet application season, fail at the interview stage then slink back into their parents basements. JET isnt a "who loves Japan the best" contest. you'll be fine.

It seems as if fewer and fewer anime nerds are failing at the interview stage in recent years. I think more than half the ALTs I've met in this prefecture who have come within the last 3-4 years are all cosplaying anime fanatics.

That's because JET isn't really worth it anymore so the only people who want to take it are useless nerds who need their hands held all the way.

Yeah since about 2013 each batch of fresh meat has gotten steadily more emotionally damaged, needy and obsessed with Sailor Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    It seems as if fewer and fewer anime nerds are failing at the interview stage in recent years. I think more than half the ALTs I've met in this prefecture who have come within the last 3-4 years are all cosplaying anime fanatics.
    Most of the ones I've met are p chill about it if they like any anime, but I'm sure that kind exists. The type of Japanophile I've most encountered here so far are the ones who think they're gaijin gods and goddesses of the land of the rising sun because they passed their N2 or have lived here/studied abroad prior to JET.

Also I think the emotionally damaged/nerdy factor comes from the change in generation tbh... us millennials are all suffering from crippling depression and anxiety and everyone else needs to cater to our obscure emotional triggers, didn't you know?
    Last edited by weepinbell; December 7th, 2015 at 08:37.

I think there's about the same amount of people anime obsessed who get in now as in my day. The change is more people who are very familiar with it because it was commonplace growing up.

I think weep is right.

I think the people who come to Japan understand the social connotations of being an otaku and don't talk about it unless being asked about it by others.

There is nothing wrong with not being interested in Japan from a younger age. Rather, you stand to gain more from the JET experience because you don't know a lot of things regarding Japanese culture (I'm assuming). More things will be new to you. If you remain open-minded and refrain from quick judgement, I think you'll be fine.
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

1. JET has a stable number of applicants per year.
    2. JET cuts salaries.
    3. JET opens up hundreds more vacancies.
    4. JET accepts people it would have rejected in previous years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yes, I'm sure previous JET participants were of a much higher standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

stop, you're making me blush
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    1. JET has a stable number of applicants per year.
    2. JET cuts salaries.
    3. JET opens up hundreds more vacancies.
    4. JET accepts people it would have rejected in previous years.
    5. ????
    6. PROFIT?

So I guess I'm left wondering, what type of people did JET accept before? All of the blogs that I've read vehemently denounced even whispering the word "anime" so I'm surprised that that so many otakus and weeaboos have gotten in. Lol should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKing View Post
    So I guess I'm left wondering, what type of people did JET accept before? All of the blogs that I've read vehemently denounced even whispering the word "anime" so I'm surprised that that so many otakus and weeaboos have gotten in. Lol should I be concerned?
    In my opinion, I think you should stop worrying about other applicants and just concentrate on yourself. Who cares who else gets on and what they're interested in? Just do the best you can and hope it is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKing View Post
    People who are smart enough to not reveal every aspect of their personality to prospective employers? It's not like I told them I was coming to Japan for better access to Junior Idol DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    People who are smart enough to not reveal every aspect of their personality to prospective employers? It's not like I told them I was coming to Japan for better access to Junior Idol DVDs.
    Ya, and I left out that I love thin eyed men.

It seems to me that interviewers tries to avoid those who are obsessed with Japan (as if it's their whole being) so I'd say you would be fine.

Also stop giving two shits about other people, you should just do your best