Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lil View Post
    Wait....it's possible to be an alternate until December?!
    Yeah. It's a lot less likely to get upgraded in December, but it happens. Sometimes an ALT will just randomly break contract and leave.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Yes, it's possible to be an alternate until December.

Most alternates remove themselves from the alternate pool in late summer by choice just to ensure they aren't upgrading super late. I mean seriously, if you haven't been upgraded by the end of July your chances of being upgraded get slimmer and slimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I rode the alternate status train all the way until the end (I'm applying out of the US, FYI). I got an e-mail letting me know that no more upgrades were possible as of December 20 or 22nd. I had (and still have) a stable, full time job though, so it wasn't really an issue for me. If you're an unemployed alternate counting on JET and JET alone, then I think you really should start making plans (as others have said) if you don't hear anything by June/July. Heck, you should be making them now in my opinion. Good luck!

I agree to an extent.

I think it depends what kind of job you have. If it's a full time job, working somewhere in retail or at a restaurant (essentially anywhere with no education requirement) then I think it's a waste of time. Considering JET requires a university degree, I think you're wasting away your career. You spent 4 years in university to do what?
    If it's a job that's somewhat in your field of study or that looks good on a resume, then sure.

I'm just saying this because I know a few people that had shitty jobs and held on to their alternate status til the very end.

I hear ya, Kdes - I did a 6 month stint in retail and that was plenty enough time for me. While the job I'm in isn't ideal, it's in banking which does relate to my accounting degree. Most importantly they offer me benefits and we just moved into a brand new HQ.

Considering that unemployment is 9.3% in my state I'm pretty lucky to have something at all!

Hi Aspiring Canadian JETs! I am new here and have been scouring the threads trying to find a response to my question. Without any luck, I thought I would turn to all of you

Sorting out all my plan B's / possible options, I started thinking about how much I would be able to save from working as an ALT. Does anyone have an approximate figure --> $35,000 salary (minus) - rent - moderate food - internet - cell phone? How much can we estimate we'll come home with? Hypothetically without counting travel plans or nights out... and I do understand there will be fluctuations depending on placement location

Thanks in advance for your help !

That is a definitely a case by case kind of question. I go out a hell of a lot and travel almost every weekend, so right now I am not saving too much. However, my predecessor never went out (that I know of) and because of the low rent (I live in the back arse of nowhere) and low outgoings he was able to put away about 18-20 man a month. I too, could save this amount but I would rather enjoy my time here and go out. But as you said, it is dependent upon placement location. Some of my friends have to pay higher rent and must use a car which skyrockets their outgoings each month.

You take home about $2400-$2500 a month (clear).

Things that I usually have to worry about per month (with respective costs):
    My car insurance ($70), my gas ($20), my phone ($70), my rent ($500), my groceries ($120-150), eating out/kombini ($50-100), sending money home to pay loans ($200-500). My leftover expenses go to extra-savings, and to trips.

This is going to vary and unfortunately there's no way to really prepare for it. You won't know your costs until you get in contact with your predecessor. You could pay over $500 a month for rent, or you could end up having subsidized rent and paying as little as $50 a month. These sorts of things will make a huge difference in how much money you end up saving.

ya, about 2400 a month or so in pay, then take off a bunch of stuff.

I saved a lot of money in my first year, but then I was a bit of a hermit at that time. Now I am much less of a hermit and I frankly don't really save any money any more.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by aat42 View Post
    Hi Aspiring Canadian JETs! I am new here and have been scouring the threads trying to find a response to my question. Without any luck, I thought I would turn to all of you

Sorting out all my plan B's / possible options, I started thinking about how much I would be able to save from working as an ALT. Does anyone have an approximate figure --> $35,000 salary (minus) - rent - moderate food - internet - cell phone? How much can we estimate we'll come home with? Hypothetically without counting travel plans or nights out... and I do understand there will be fluctuations depending on placement location

Thanks in advance for your help !
    Don't forget taxes, pension, and health insurance.

Thank you all for your responses! Am just trying to figure out if its worth it, financially, to give up full time summer employment locally etc

Canadian Aspiring JET here, from British Columbia. In my last semester of University, and like all of you just waiting to hear back from Vancouver/Tokyo!

Me too whithexe! Hope we can meet at the predeparture orientation

/anxiety attack

The US results are coming in... Canada next week? Please? ;_;

Canada will likely be end of the week or early next week. Please wait as the Ottawa coordinator needs to send info to the other consulates first and it takes a bit of time if they are busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Canada will likely be end of the week or early next week. Please wait as the Ottawa coordinator needs to send info to the other consulates first and it takes a bit of time if they are busy.
    Wah I was hoping it would be a couple more weeks. I have a thesis to finish writing but now I'm going to worry over this, or be depressed if I get rejected.

Someone will burn in hell if this is all a big, well coordinated April Fool's joke though haha....

US is getting interview results, meanwhile JET Canada posts on facebook asking for tagline ideas...how about: "JET Programme: We'll make you wait for it."

(In real life, I know it takes time to get all the info organized and out, but its hard to concentrate when other people are getting results!)
    Last edited by nostos; April 2nd, 2014 at 06:13.

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    (In real life, I know it takes time to get all the info organized and out, but its hard to concentrate when other people are getting results!)
    I was checking my emails constantly this time last year - even in my dreams!! I remember counting it out, and my mother-in-law had sent me no fewer than 30 emails just chatting about everyday stuff that month... I was losing my mind.

Does anyone know if the Canadian JET Programme typically emails results?

yes