Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    This is one thing that they try, and fail to get across - your job isn't just teaching English - you're being paid to be an upstanding member of the local community who just so happens to work as an assistant teacher in school. Even if you don't go all out creating curriculum/translating local tourist info etc, as long as the community sees you as a person who is an asset to their society and not some lazy playboy or drunken college student, you've done a large part of your job.
    I know I wasn't, and I don't think Ercasse was either, implying that the ALT needed to be a pro teacher, whipping out curriculum and lesson plans on par with a licensed teacher. Just to take their job seriously.
    I also completely agree with Jiggit and Gizmo, you are employed to work in a school. You are not required to do anything outside of working hours (unless it's sports day, eikaiwa etc). I knew lots of really well liked (by their town and employers) ALTs who went straight home after work and stayed there. You should not feel any pressure to force yourself to go out and do anything that feels unnatural. You should also remember that outside of work you are not the centre of the universe, even if sometimes it feels that way in a small town. Forcing internationalization may end up making people uncomfortable. They may agree to things that are actually a burden to them.
    If something happens organically, by all means go for it, but just be yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by afterwards View Post
    Congratulations and good luck with your other opportunity! As a Vancouver alternate, you've given me just a tiny bit of hope today haha.
    Ah thank you!!! Your message made me really happy because this decision definitely wasn't an easy one.... I hope it will work out for you

Hello~
    I've migrated here from the "official" JET forums, since, uh. They've shut down the Aspiring forum there.
    That said, I've been Short-Listed from Toronto! This was my second time applying (last year I was an alternate). Couldn't be happier. Congratulations to all those that also got accepted! Would be great to meet you guys at Orientation And for those that are still waiting - best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarilo View Post
    Hello~
    I've migrated here from the "official" JET forums, since, uh. They've shut down the Aspiring forum there.
    That said, I've been Short-Listed from Toronto! This was my second time applying (last year I was an alternate). Couldn't be happier. Congratulations to all those that also got accepted! Would be great to meet you guys at Orientation And for those that are still waiting - best of luck!
    Congratulations! I don't think I could apply a second time around. The process is too long. However, sticking with it clearly paid off for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Congratulations Yarilo! I was very happy for you when LiDe told me. I too was a second time applier, who got in the second time. I realised after living and working here a while that it was in no way reflective on my capabilities. Just luck in some ways. So good luck! Where did you request? Hokkaido too?

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    Congratulations Yarilo! I was very happy for you when LiDe told me. I too was a second time applier, who got in the second time. I realised after living and working here a while that it was in no way reflective on my capabilities. Just luck in some ways. So good luck! Where did you request? Hokkaido too?
    Thanks AVNicholls! I re-read the letter multiple times this time around, before I let myself get excited! ---then I asked other people if I was reading it right hahaha. I requested Mie and Ishikawa Prefs, but then stated on my Candidate form (and interview) that I'd be happy anywhere, so we'll see!

Does any one know approximately when and for how long they will have our original passports for acquiring the visa?

It is generally consulate specific but I believe it is 3 weeks or so but they may be able to rush it if for some reason you can't get it to them/are out of the country before you leave for Japan.

As an alternate I'd just like to remind all the Canadian shortlisters of the following:

1) Experts predict that next year in Japan there will be a dramatic upsurge in earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, and constant Godzilla attacks.

2) Teaching in Korea pays great and most places will pay for your rent in addition to your flight. Why pay rent like a sucker with JET when you can be living on easy street in Seoul. Did I mention Seoul has free wifi everywhere? Also all KPOP singers love foreigners so you will undoubtedly be able to get any one of your choosing to become your romantic partner. Annyeong Haseyo!

3) If for some strange reason you do choose to continue with your application then please don't bother with any of that trivial paperwork like getting your criminal background or medical check done. These days, who has time for such nonsense?

As I'm sure you know, Japanese culture is very respect and honour based so simply tell your consulate that you give them your WORD OF HONOUR that you are healthy and not a criminal and this will certainly suffice.

If the consulate tries to tell you this is not acceptable, this is actually a test of your understanding of Japanese culture, and the correct response is to DEMAND to speak directly to the Japanese ambassador so that you may seek redress for this insult to your honour by challenging him to a duel.

I didn't realize we were in the lounge...

I still haven't received my passport...
    Last edited by itsabird; April 10th, 2014 at 23:05.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Comedy gold snargflax. well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I just spent 9 days in Seoul. I love going there. Joking aside, living in Seoul would be a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Does anyone know if due dates can be extended for the medical form if it was the clinic's fault by forgetting to do one test? I ask this because my clinic did not give me a test for occult blood during my first visit, which meant I had to do it just recently. I heard results may take weeks to come back...

Call your consulate now. If they're closed, get up first thing in the morning to let them know about the late document and to make sure everything is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

i hear you johnny

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_claw448 View Post
    Does anyone know if due dates can be extended for the medical form if it was the clinic's fault by forgetting to do one test? I ask this because my clinic did not give me a test for occult blood during my first visit, which meant I had to do it just recently. I heard results may take weeks to come back...
    What test does your clinic need to do? The only thing that couldn't be done in he clinic I went to was the x-Ray, and they sent me to another X-ray place to get it done. I don't remember blood work or anything like that, unless they've really amped up the health check form this year.

Please contact your consulate ASAP and talk to them. Call them for sure, don't let this problem goto email.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

how could it take weeks? isn't that just a pee test?

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    how could it take weeks? isn't that just a pee test?
    For this year's medical form, there are 3 boxes for Urinology: glucose, protein, and occult blood. I thought all of them were done by pee test too, so I don't know if the doctor glanced over it, but when I went back to my clinic to see results the doctor said the occult blood is to check for colorectal cancer which uses another test. She gave me a kit to collect 3 days feces sample to mail to laboratory, and the time it takes for the results to get back could take a few weeks. Am I missing something here or the doctor misinterpreted something?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_claw448 View Post
    or the doctor misinterpreted something?
    possibly. according to the almighty google there are both feces and urine occult blood tests. my clinic just did the urine one. seems to have been accepted as i haven't heard anything about it from the consulate.

edit: especially as its under the urinalysis section, haha...
    Last edited by nostos; May 29th, 2014 at 11:24.

Jesus, they really are getting a little invasive aren't they.