Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2014 JET - Letter of Reference

Default Re: 2014 JET - Letter of Reference

Unfortunately I think it might have been better if a professor who knew you directly wrote the letter but who knows? And as you said it's too late to worry now.

But for others who might be viewing this thread bear in mind that many candidates who had no particular previous contact with Japanese get onto JET. There's no reason you have to seek out someone related to Japan to write your personal statements. It's a testament to your character and personal merit, not to how much you love Japan. I had mine written by the two English professors I worked with most in college and got accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Unfortunately I think it might have been better if a professor who knew you directly wrote the letter but who knows? And as you said it's too late to worry now.

But for others who might be viewing this thread bear in mind that many candidates who had no particular previous contact with Japanese get onto JET. There's no reason you have to seek out someone related to Japan to write your personal statements. It's a testament to your character and personal merit, not to how much you love Japan. I had mine written by the two English professors I worked with most in college and got accepted.
    Well, that answers my question. I still question whether I should have tried to find another source for my second letter of recommendation... I feel like diversity is always a good thing. Still, I am sure I got a glowing letter from both of my profs, so I am sure that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Well, that answers my question. I still question whether I should have tried to find another source for my second letter of recommendation... I feel like diversity is always a good thing. Still, I am sure I got a glowing letter from both of my profs, so I am sure that will help.
    Did they let you read it? You'd be surprised.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Did they let you read it? You'd be surprised.
    I didn't ask, I thought it would be somewhat shady. However, one tried to recruit me to the masters program, and the other I went out to dinner with (with a couple of other students). I always performed extremely well in their classes; which, in all fairness, is because they were excellent teachers who I have a great deal of reverence for. I am not terribly worried about it.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Sounds okay to me. We often read about people who got shady sources for their letters because the name looked better. That isn't what jet really wants in a letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

What exactly are JET looking for in a letter? I know that it should be a letter praising your academic or work ability, but essentially, 99.9% of references will say the same thing will they not?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    What exactly are JET looking for in a letter? I know that it should be a letter praising your academic or work ability, but essentially, 99.9% of references will say the same thing will they not?
    What JET wants? Nobody'll know. What most places want? A little of what you said, and a lot about your character.

Most references WILL say the same thing. You WANT your references to say you did something special. (Not Lianwen special)
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Well considering that JET specifically asks that the reference writer state how well they think the applicant will adapt while living in another culture, I would think that's what they're looking for. So it wouldn't be a stretch to say JET would prefer a reference who's had direct contact with you in either a supervisory or classroom setting since they would know better than someone you've barely spoken to.

Since we're on the topic of References, I was wondering if the Jet Program actually contacts your references?

Well my referee was able to speak to my abilities, academic performance and suitability for the programme, but I'm concerned that JET will knock off a few points as the head hadn't taught me directly. Although, having said that, I've roamed the ITIL archives throughout the day; reading old threads-I'm talking ~2006. There seems to be the perception that JET are more concerned with how prestigious/ up the ladder your referees are, more so than actual content, I'm not sure what to think of this...

Catastrophe; I remember seeing a post by someone who wrote their own reference, on behalf of their actual referee and the referee was contacted...according to that poster anyway. I'd assume that they will if the reference seems suspicious.
    Last edited by PaddyPakku; December 11th, 2013 at 05:45.

One of my references was an art prof; I'd never taken any of his classes and wasn't an art major. He was a Japanese dude, his English wasn't the best, and I'd helped him put together his tenure application earlier that year, so I asked him if he'd mind, and he wrote me a fantastic letter in J-go. Can't be entirely sure what it said, but another J-friend read it and told me it was completely awesome.

Don't stress about it.

My other reference was dictated to me; I typed it up, edited it, printed it, and gave it to the guy to sign.

I don't believe either of my references were contacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I asked my Japanese prof few years back to write me a referral but she told me she couldn't because she is Japanese. Now granted I graduated like 2-3 yrs earlier but I took 3 classes with her and she claimed to remember me when I saw her.

Since there's an option to write a referral in Japanese I'm guessing the whole "I'm Japanese and can't do it" was bullshit excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    Since there's an option to write a referral in Japanese I'm guessing the whole "I'm Japanese and can't do it" was bullshit excuse?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.