Thread: Reference Help

Default Reference Help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, nice to meet you in advance.
    I have a couple questions about finding an academic reference as I will be graduating at the end of spring semester.

Would it make a difference if the academic reference was from a Japanese language/Japanese studies professor as opposed to a professor from an non-japanese related field?

Does the reference need to be from a "professor" or will TAs suffice? (most of my classes are/were taught by TAs)

also completely unrelated, but does anyone know the statistics for number of applicants vs. number accepted?

Thanks!

Default Re: Reference Help

Both of my references were from my regular E.Lit "professors". I'm not sure about TAs but one of the American JETs will probably be able to tell you

Professors from your main field of study would be best, whether that field is Japan-related or not. They will be the best able to talk about your abilities and personality. I would try and get professors rather than TAs, if for no other reason than it looks better on the reference. American JETs will know more, as Jiggit said.
    ...because Japan.

My school didn't offer Japanese at all, so I used two professors I liked. We didn't have TAs either, so can't help with that one.

I would think that "Professor" looks better on paper than "Instructor" or "Teaching Assistant". It shouldn't matter if it is Japan related or not.

Your best bet is probably some sort of Professor or Asst. Professor whose courses you took more than once and they still like you.

Oh yeah you should definitely take a teacher more directly related to you than a Japanese teacher who is less so. It might be nice if you could get one of both I guess, but only if the Japanese teacher is at least fairly well acquainted with you. I don't know exactly how American universities work with the whole major/minor thing though. Also you call all of your teachers "professors", right?

I'd get the dean to write it if I were you. There's something seriously wrong if the most impressive reference you can come up with is from some feckless intern.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Oh yeah you should definitely take a teacher more directly related to you than a Japanese teacher who is less so. It might be nice if you could get one of both I guess, but only if the Japanese teacher is at least fairly well acquainted with you. I don't know exactly how American universities work with the whole major/minor thing though. Also you call all of your teachers "professors", right?
    Not too sure how other universities work, but at mine professors have some form of tenure and TAs (teachers i guess) are usually grad students

Yeah, TAs aren't appropriate for references. Choose a professor that can best comment on your abilities, doesn't matter what the subject matter is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Okay, thanks for the advice!

Does anyone know if there is a word count for the references? One of mine has just come back (she sent it to me by email so I can have a look) and it looks a bit short?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a word count for the references? One of mine has just come back (she sent it to me by email so I can have a look) and it looks a bit short?
    I actually called the JET office requesting this. They said references can be as long(not overboard) or as short as the referee deems necessary, as long as all the main points are addressed.

In my experience, a short reference is not a good one to use. If you have other options, go for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

It should be like a good skirt: long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep the audience's attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    It should be like a good skirt: long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep the audience's attention.

Ok thanks.