Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JET 2014 Questions

Default JET 2014 Questions

Last edited by Corvus; May 30th, 2014 at 03:20.

Default Re: JET 2014 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Greetings all! I am happy I found this forum, as it seems the official forums have imploded, I can no longer post or see information on there aside from what pops up in google search.

I have started up with my application for 2014, and had a few questions:

1. I have already prepped a draft of my SoP and requested letters of recommendation, so I think I am off to a good start as the application forms have yet to be posted on the US website. I am wondering now if turning in your application early increases your odds of landing an interview date in any way?
    2. Speaking of interview sessions, I am wondering if your consulate location has any impact on your odds of landing an interview? In my situation, I am a California resident that has relocated to Arizona, so I think I might have an option between the two.
    3. Has JET changed their view of a "successful applicant" over time? This is a more general question and I understand if people don't have specifics but, from what I have read, I have heard differing things. Do they look favorably at post-graduate work experience, or do they prefer people in their early twenties, fresh out of college? Although I can't change the type of applicant I am, this will be important in drafting my statement of purpose, so I know what experiences to emphasis and which to downplay.

Thanks again for making this forum, I'm excited to get to know everyone and to contribute in anyway I can.
    1) no one knows/probably not
    2) nope, odds are more or less the same
    3) emphasize everything relevant to the job. Jet is a mixed bag of people from different backgrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Greetings all! I am happy I found this forum, as it seems the official forums have imploded, I can no longer post or see information on there aside from what pops up in google search.

I have started up with my application for 2014, and had a few questions:

1. I have already prepped a draft of my SoP and requested letters of recommendation, so I think I am off to a good start as the application forms have yet to be posted on the US website. I am wondering now if turning in your application early increases your odds of landing an interview date in any way?
    2. Speaking of interview sessions, I am wondering if your consulate location has any impact on your odds of landing an interview? In my situation, I am a California resident that has relocated to Arizona, so I think I might have an option between the two.
    3. Has JET changed their view of a "successful applicant" over time? This is a more general question and I understand if people don't have specifics but, from what I have read, I have heard differing things. Do they look favorably at post-graduate work experience, or do they prefer people in their early twenties, fresh out of college? Although I can't change the type of applicant I am, this will be important in drafting my statement of purpose, so I know what experiences to emphasis and which to downplay.

Thanks again for making this forum, I'm excited to get to know everyone and to contribute in anyway I can.
    1) Don't quote me on this but I have heard the applications are read on a first arrive first read basis. Although, I guess it depends on whether they wait until after the deadline to start reading them...
    2) I live in the UK...so no idea
    3) I think the most important thing to JET is someone that's very interested in Japan. For JET, the worst thing is for somebody to get there, get scared and then bail. I'm applying this year too, so I'm no expert, but from what I've read, just say how your past experiences will help you be a successful JET.

1. I don't think so. I had to next-day-air my application to make the deadline, and I was shortlisted.

2. Yes. However, there's no way to know *how* the consulate location affects your odds. So, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really matter. If it were up to me, I would apply at a consulate that would be likely to see fewer applications. I have no idea if this would be to my benefit or detriment--it's just the choice that I would make.

3. Yes. We don't know how, unfortunately, nor to what extent. I asked a similar question of MiamiCoordinator on the Official forums once, and s/he explained that there is, in fact, a procedure designed to refine the screening process in order to more effectively place JETs with characteristics most in line with the desires of the program and MEXT. S/he was unable to give me any sort of specific information, and I didn't expect any; the question I was really asking was whether or not the program actually seeks to empirically improve its screening process--and apparently, it does. I know that sucks, 'cause it's relatively useless information. Still, I think that it means the best information you can probably get would be from multi-year JETs and their perceptions of the program's goals. It's all speculation, but it's at least speculation from folks who have been through it all and managed to stick around. Through the aggregation of their opinions, you might be able to get some sense of direction as far as fine-tuning your SoP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting to hear that you were shortlisted in light of when you applied, or perhaps it was just that your application was that good!

MiamiCoordinator has been one of the more informative posters on the official forums, but I still come away feeling like there is a lot more they could be telling us that they simply choose not to, for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Corvus; October 13th, 2013 at 11:15.

The initial screening is done at the national level, so I doubt they have time to keep track of when each application arrived. It also means that where you apply from probably doesn't matter much, since they're looking at all the applicants in the country as a whole. The consulates aren't involved until the interview stage.

I got my application in by handing it in person at the embassy about an hour before it was due, so at least in the UK it doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Arrival time doesn't matter.

As for changing levels.... it is entirely year dependent. The evaluation criteria hasn't changed, according to miami-coordinator on the forums. However, each year the level of applicants changes. Sooo.. hope you get a year of knucle draggers and the bar gets dropped considerably :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I of course am no authority and have been out of the program for a few years, but I seem to remember reading a lot about how when they changed some of the salary/re-applying rules they also were talking about changing the criteria?

I could have sworn that there was a lot of talk about focusing even more on people with Japanese language skills was what a lot of BOEs were requesting.

I know even my BOE mentioned when I left that they really wanted someone with Japanese skills due to the fact you have to travel to so many elementary schools and 95% of the teachers don't speak English there. Of course, I know that Japanese probably always helped you, but is it possible they give language skills more weight?

I could be completely wrong. My memory is going as I get older...
    Last edited by patjs; October 15th, 2013 at 11:28.

patjs, you're not wrong, there were (and still are.. Ini care to ring in on this?) BoEs looking for ALTs with Japanese language skills for the ES program that was rolling out. I don't think it made much of a difference though in the application process, just in who the schools were actively seeking.

That being said, there are still plenty of ALTs who end up in the JHS/ES beat with absolutely no Japanese at all, so I don't think anything really changed.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The answer to #2 is available in one of the stickies, basically what windy said. This was the line from CLAIR:

All of the applications that are received by the Japanese Embassy have the same review standards regardless of what Embassy/Consulate you are interviewing through. There is also review standards set for the interviews. There may be a smaller/larger number of participants that make it onto the short-list, but this is a reflection of number of applications received from a certain location, not on the competitive level at each location.

Just saw this on the US 2014 guidelines:

Early submission of applications and documents is encouraged.
    Take that as what you will, however.

As for language skill, are you tested in any way if you get an interview? The application isn't up yet so I've no idea what sort of questions they ask you about it.

As for language skill, are you tested in any way if you get an interview? The application isn't up yet so I've no idea what sort of questions they ask you about it.
    If you indicate a certain proficiency on the application, then you may be "quizzed" in the interview. I noted that my Japanese ability was elementary/nonexistent, and was not asked to speak any Japanese in the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Just saw this on the US 2014 guidelines:

Take that as what you will, however.

Umm. Soo I have a minor in japanese from university. I hadn't studied japanese for atleast a year before my interview though. I marked on it beginner for speaking listening and intermediate for reading (my hiragana and katakana were stil quite good, as was my grammar). When it came up in the interview I replied it's been a while and I'm out of practice and that was the end of it. I'm still here. (And my level is now WAY higher)

My friend however was asked a few questions in japanese, flubbed em right up and still got in as well.

It's more important if you're going for a CIR position and they will grill you for that one

I marked as beginner too. In my interview they asked if I'd started studying Japanese and then asked me "what is your name" and "where are you from", which I about managed to answer. So I guess if you mark as beginner it might be a good idea to be able to say some v. basic things to show that you've at least put some effort towards it. But Japanese language ability has never seemed to particularly be important for ALTs. A lot of people with high language ability don't get in and a lot of people with zero do.

I think I marked myself as Int-Adv and the Japanese member of the panel asked me about my hobbies/interests and how I'd incorporate them into my time as an ALT (in Japanese). I imagine, like language study, that the questions range from yes/no and easy answers (home/hobbies/name/etc.), and then go up to ask about feelings/thoughts/opinions/hopes/etc. depending on how you rate yourself.

Unless you're going for CIR there's no reason to worry about it though, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    If you indicate a certain proficiency on the application, then you may be "quizzed" in the interview. I noted that my Japanese ability was elementary/nonexistent, and was not asked to speak any Japanese in the interview.
    I was wondering if I should placed myself down as introductory or elementary proficient when the application was released. I took Japanese I and II, and I attempt to study it on a daily basis to retain most of the information. This post has answered that curiosity, and I am going to list myself as a beginner.

I listed myself as a beginner and was asked to give a jikoushoukai in Japanese during my interview. Unless you're going for CIR, the extent of the Japanese knowledge test will probably be a jikoushoukai. I honestly don't think Japanese ability plays into the selection process, its more of an added perk when COs start picking who they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I listed myself as a beginner and was asked to give a jikoushoukai in Japanese during my interview. Unless you're going for CIR, the extent of the Japanese knowledge test will probably be a jikoushoukai. I honestly don't think Japanese ability plays into the selection process, its more of an added perk when COs start picking who they want.
    Hey you'd better kiotsuke, you accidentally got some nihongo in your eigo. It might be muzukashii for new people to wakaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Hey you'd better kiotsuke, you accidentally got some nihongo in your eigo. It might be muzukashii for new people to wakaru.
    Oh damn. I should have wakaru before I kaku that posuto. I'll oboeteru next kai.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk