Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: JET 2014 Questions

Default Re: JET 2014 Questions

Page, that breakdown of the actual costs involved was incredibly useful. Thank you.

No problem! Of course it varies (especially the car buying part, some may sell cheaper depending on the car's state and some may have no choice but to go to a dealer which typically seems to start around $3000) but that's what seems to be the norm where I am!

Speaking of cars, those of you who are JETs or former JETS-- was a GPS an option for you? Or could you only use maps?

I know here in the states I'm reliant on my GPS to get to my sub jobs. So I'm curious to hear how you guys got around. Not just to your schools but like if you decided to travel (not by train).
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; November 6th, 2013 at 11:25.

Just get a smartphone when you arrive. Most people will, anyway. If you decide to get a decent GPS later, cool; but GoogleNav or Apple Maps will get you just about anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I use my phone as my car nav system. An actual nav starts at around 300 and that's just one you stick on your dash, the one you install into the car is like 500+

Thanks guys! I know I'll have to figure out what I'm doing about a cell phone so I might get a smart phone myself.

You'll struggle to get anything other than a smart phone these days. A car sat nav is way better than a phone and I'd recommend you get one but if you don't travel much you could survive with just google maps.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I have a Tom Tom already. This might be a silly question but would it work in Japan? Cause I'd take it with me if it could.

can you buy set of japanese maps and POI for it? I had an old garmin which if you had the maps for where you were going on a SD card it would work anywhere. If you cant update the maps its almost definitely going to only have the maps for your country in it so all you would see on the screen is your location against a blank background
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah, if you get a mount for a smartphone Google Maps is good enough for plebeians (and it gives voice over in English--there are probably Japanese ones that do that but Ini would be the one to know about that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I have a Tom Tom already. This might be a silly question but would it work in Japan? Cause I'd take it with me if it could.
    There should be a way to purchase Japanese maps. It'll work though. I think most GPS are made to be used all over the world.