Thread: Interac Japanese Test?

Default Interac Japanese Test?

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site.
    I recently received and accepted an offer of employment with Interac, to start March/April 2014.
    Searching on the internet, I came across some references to a Japanese test that Interac will have new hires take before departure, followed up by a telephone interview if you do well enough on the written test, and resulting in extra pay if you do well enough in the phone interview?
    I don't remember hearing anything about this from Interac during the recruitment process so far, so I thought I'd ask the people on this forum! I tried searching for the topic ahead of time, but there seems to be something wrong with the search tool (or my browser).
    Have you taken the test? How was it? What was the phone interview like? What kind of questions did they ask?
    Particularly, if anyone passed the phone interview stage, how much was the 'extra pay' your Japanese language qualification earned you? Did you have any extra duties tied to your extra pay?
    In case anyone was wondering, I'm asking because I majored in Japanese, so I have a little confidence in my Japanese ability.
    Thanks in advance for any information you can give!
    Last edited by tobenaitori; October 25th, 2013 at 07:42.

Default Re: Interac Japanese Test?

its nothing to get too excited about. duties are the same and you get a couple of thousand yen a month extra
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I came out with Interac in March this year, and I was asked to do the test in December. I bombed it! Mainly because each question was timed and it kept skipping on to the next question before I'd even finished reading it. I believe you need to score at least upper-intermediate (about N3/2 I think) and then they will test you over the phone. I don't know how hard that is as I didn't score high enough to do it. The extra pay is 5,000 yen a month (unless they've changed it) and I'm not aware of any extra duties that come with doing well on the test. I'm kinda hoping we're allowed to take it again at some point, to see if I've improved at all.

150 points is the threshold I believe. I ended up scoring around 100, so no bonus. But they still acted like I was fluent, bragging about my college classes and even saying I was a keigo whiz to my BOE (which I'm not).

The test is a poor judge of ability, IMO. If you know grammar but suck at vocabulary, you can still trick it and get a high score.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Thanks for your responses! I see now that the reason they didn't mention it before now is probably because it's not a huge deal. Still, I'm glad to have an idea about when to expect it and roughly what it will be like.

Sakurahoshi - I hope they let you retake it this year! Your Japanese is sure to have improved after being there for a year!!

Zombiekelly - Agh! That sounds terrifying. I am seriously worried about having to use keigo to speak to people... Double terror points if I have to speak to them in keigo *on the phone*.

I rarely use keigo. Usually only for the self introduction. Chances are your school will be awed if you say anything in Japanese besides "ohayo".
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.