Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

Default JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

My personal statement sits at exactly 1000 words(It has to be between 900 and 1000) and I have it double spaced. The problem is, the essay is now 3.5 pages long. Anything beyond 2 pages isn't read right? Is anybody else in a similar siutation. The margins must be 1 inch right?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

Then shrink it down to two pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Then shrink it down to two pages.
    Do you mean by removing content from my essay? If so, that is not an option.
    Also. maybe I'm missing something, but how does 800 words fit on two pages, if double spaced? It's not possible.

US SOPs have no word count requirement, they specifically require point 12 font, 1 inch margins and double spacing. For what its worth my SOP is just shy of being a full 2 pages and sits at about 530 words, meeting those requirements.

Look very closely at the UK guidelines. It says 800-1,000 words, making no mention of 2 pages. The US application states 2 pages and does not give a word count. That's probably what's throwing you off.

Thank you for your responses. I'm aware the UK guidelines don't specifically state that it has to be 2 pages, but virtually every other participating countries' guidelines does. Could it have been that the UK simply forgot to mention the 2 page limit? Also, does anybody else know why the essay structure is a little different for the US and the UK? Aren't we all competing for the same positions?
    Last edited by PaddyPakku; October 26th, 2013 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I'm aware the UK guidelines don't specifically state that it has to be 2 pages, but virtually every other participating countries' guidelines does. Could it have been that the UK simply forgot to mention the 2 page limit? Also, does anybody else know why the essay structure is a little different for the US and the UK? Aren't we all competing for the same positions?
    No page limit. 1000 words in 30 pt Impact font.

You are competing with your countrymen first and are given a score. Afterwards you compete with other countries for positions. The sop means jack post-interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    No page limit. 1000 words in 30 pt Impact font.

You are competing with your countrymen first and are given a score. Afterwards you compete with other countries for positions. The sop means jack post-interview.
    30pt Inpact Font? I'm sorry but where are you getting this from?
    Just to clarify; as a UK applicant, I'm not restricted to 2 pages? Are there any other previous applicants that can confirm this?

There is no ambiguity on the UK JET site. You need to read more carefully and realize when you're being trolled.

Just do 800-1000 words paddy. If they complain then it's their own fault for not stating requirements more accurately. Also, for a formal letter, Impact font is not a good idea! Though, I think that was supposed to be a joke. Just use Calibri, Arial or Times New Roman.

They ask for double spacing mostly likely for 2 reasons:-

1. Because it's just easier to read.
    2. Because it allows the reader to include notes or points between the text that indicates marks for the applicant.
    Last edited by Aurano; October 26th, 2013 at 20:55.

I think I'll call them on Monday to confirm.
    What I still don't understand is the discrepancy on limit between the US and UK essay. Why will some readers of the applications only have to read 2 pages, while others will have to read up to 4? I still think we should all be judged on the same criteria. The US essay allows for a more free-flow structured essay, whereas the UK guidelines seem...stilted.

Aurano; You make a good point about the double spacing. I thought it'd be easier to read, but I never considered them writing notes between sentences; I thought that would be done on a separate sheet. Although, even if the limit were 2 pages, there'd be no reason for them to complain. They'd just not read it...right?

I think the embassy of each country has their own preferences on how the application should be. British application is quite different from US or other places but I think it comes down to the whole bureaucratic system of each country. I couldn't say why the UK Personal Statement is larger than the US but it might have something to do with the amount of intakes each year. I know a lot more American/Canadian JET's are hired each year compared to British, so the US/Canadian Personal Statement may be shorter just to sift through applications at a more efficient rate. It could also indicate that it may be more competitive for British applications, so the Personal Statement has to have more of an impact.

These are just ideas that spring to mind but who knows. I'm just following the guidelines and taking the initiative. If my Personal Statement turns out to be over 2 pages when it's at 800 words then so be it. But as long as the British JET website states 800-1000 words with double spacing then that is what they will get.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

They have to make the US ones shorter because they have a tendency to rabbit on as it is.
    100 words should fit on 2 pages double-spaced should fit if you use 10-point Times New Roman.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

ah no, my bad. i think i must have done mine on 1.5 spacing [the australian application doesn't specify shit like that - they let you make up your own mind on what font you use and spacing etc. which i think is actually better because then you could just cull all the folks who use 5 different fonts and fricken' word art.
    Convert Words to Pages - Free Calculator (select font & size)
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Aurano; If you're using 12pt and double spacing, I guarantee your essay will exceed 2 pages, even at 800 words - unless you're using extremely small font- which I imagine will be a detriment to the reader.
    As a side note, how formal are you making your essay? I'm not sure to what extent I should tone down the formality of my essay.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    They have to make the US ones shorter because they have a tendency to rabbit on as it is.
    100 words should fit on 2 pages double-spaced should fit if you use 10-point Times New Roman.
    I think you mean to say 1000 words right? Also, the UK guidlines state that it has to be 12pt

Doesn't matter if it's more than 2 pages for UK applicants. If it doesn't state on the UK JET website that it has to be 2 pages then it doesn't. And if JET turn around and say 'it had to be 2 pages' then it's their own fault for not stating that.

UK Guidelines:

Font 12
    Double Spaced
    Word Processed
    Printed on A4 Paper

Doesn't say anything about 2 pages... I think you have just been reading the American/Canadians topics too much and got a little confused. That's one thing that I became aware of before the official Aspiring JET forum closed down. Separating what is directed at American/Canadian applicants and what is directed at UK applicants. Some things are generic for all applicants, but some things can confuse you because you don't see it on the official JET website.

In terms of formality. I'm just making it as formal as need be to come across as professional. I'm not going too formal though because going overboard on formality can come across as cheesy, fake and unoriginal.
    Last edited by Aurano; October 27th, 2013 at 10:35.

Also, forgot to say that the discrepancy is irrelevant, because UK applicants are not competing against USA ones. Each country will be asked to provide a certain number of participants, give or take. This is because plenty of COs request specific countries or have a preference for British or American English. So don't worry about what the Americans are doing - just worry about making yours better than the other UK ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    Do you mean by removing content from my essay? If so, that is not an option.
    Also. maybe I'm missing something, but how does 800 words fit on two pages, if double spaced? It's not possible.
    I have yet to read an SoP that wouldn't fit neatly into the page requirement once the unnecessary parts were trimmed.

Aurano; Yes...I think I've spent too much time reading US SOP examples that I've somewhat internalised the guidlines into my own Personal statement.
    Speaking of the aspiring section on JET forums, any idea why it was closed?

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I have yet to read an SoP that wouldn't fit neatly into the page requirement once the unnecessary parts were trimmed.
    I think we have already established that there are no page limits for the UK statement.

My best guess is that the official aspiring JET forum was getting a bit too misguiding. There is a lot of speculation about it but I think it's really a combination of a few things that made them just realise that it would be in the best interests of applicants if they didn't read it. I know this probably doesn't make much sense but if you think about it from your view point of getting confused with the whole '2 page' thing then you can kind of see why the forum could be counter productive in some ways.

But ultimately, I have no idea why it was closed.