Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

I'm sorry wicket, what do you mean by "motherhood statements". I can't think of what you mean by that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Unless someone is moronic enough to write their Personal Statement in notepad I can't see how they would find a lot of spelling or grammar mistakes because most people use MS Word or something of equal value to write their statement.

A lot of this is starting to confuse and contradict, but I really don't care. I'm just going to write my statement and if it fits the bill, then happy days!

Default JET UK personal statement; 2 Page/ 1000 word dilemna

Word does not catch all errors. Not even close. (Unless we are talking about word, in which case he will nitpick you to the very core of your being in an effort to get his member to twitch.) It will also often point out what it believes to be an error, even if it is not.

People will also frequently use homonyms in place of the appropriate word. I have personally checked three essays that used peaked where piqued was appropriate.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 29th, 2013 at 13:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Then you must have a pretty pants version of Word. My MS Word handles 98% of spelling mistakes fine and can detect most punctuation faults. Only thing Word cannot do for you efficiently is sentence structure and the use of advanced punctuation tools such as the dash or semicolon. But they are tools used by actual novelists more than anyone.

In terms of piqued and peaked, that's the writers lack of vocabulary. Word will never understand them problems unless the context is really obvious. It's up to the writer to fine tune everything, not word.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    avoid acronyms unless you fully explain them the first time they are used.
    wicket, would I be able to use 'EAL' and 'ESL' within my personal statement as long as I used (English as an Additional Language) to describe it the first time I used it? I talk about it quite a lot in my teaching experience section and had abbreviated it after the first time as it eats up quite a lot of words and reads repetitively. It's also the term widely used in the British education system. Should I go back and change all the EALs to English as an Additional Language?

Like she said, you can use acronyms if you explain what they mean first...

EAL isn't a commonly accepted term outside of the UK. Use EFL, the Japanese will know what it means.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think ESL is the most widely used and not the same thing as EFL at all. If you state you have training in EFL be sure you can back that up. They are two completely different skill sets.

Ya, wasn't arguing that, but EAL and EFL are synonymous, ESL is not.

EAL and EFL are not synonymous. EFL is a specific kind of EAL, and has different training and uses different techniques. This can be argued to a certain extent but not enough to say EAL and EFL are the same.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Just change the first one to "EAL (English as an Additional Language); after that you're good to use EAL for subsequent references. Same with ESL. Of course anyone involved with JET will know what ESL stands for, along with ALT and JTE, but the people who screen the initial applications are not CLAIR people - they outsource this; so better to be safe than sorry.

gizmo, this is the definition of a motherhood statement motherhood statement - Wiktionary
    but in the context of a JET application, it's statements such as "I have a genuine interest in learning the Japanese language" or "I have a strong desire to teach young people" or "I think it is important to contribute to international relations" with no accompanying evidence for those statements such as [respectively] "... and would aim to pass Level 3 of the JLPT within my first year on the programme/ and have recently enrolled in a beginner's Japanese course"; "...as evidenced by the time I spent last summer working for 'Youth off the streets', an organisation that seeks to assist young people to better their lives'; "and was a member of the Japan/Australia society at my university." Hope that helps.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    EAL and EFL are not synonymous. EFL is a specific kind of EAL, and has different training and uses different techniques. This can be argued to a certain extent but not enough to say EAL and EFL are the same.
    Sorry you're right. They're not synonymous. EAL is just a completely useless statement to make. ESL and EFL distinguish appropriately between the two contexts within which English is learned and create an image in a person's mind of what strategies and approaches are required. EAL just says "well shit son, I guess English isn't your first language" which is pretty obvious but not particularly informative towards your approach.

Thanks wicket. I would assume that anyone applying for JET wouldn't make such... unsubstantiated claims.

Esl is what you use to refer to places likethr uk and canada. Where English is language one but second for the newcomer and immersive. Efl is japan where it can be a second language but it isn't immersive. (Even though they use the term esl in this country all the time they are wrong according to the literature)

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I would assume that anyone applying for JET wouldn't make such... unsubstantiated claims.
    Ahahahaahahaha. Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Sorry you're right. They're not synonymous. EAL is just a completely useless statement to make. ESL and EFL distinguish appropriately between the two contexts within which English is learned and create an image in a person's mind of what strategies and approaches are required. EAL just says "well shit son, I guess English isn't your first language" which is pretty obvious but not particularly informative towards your approach.
    EAL is just a proposed change to the name of ESL taking into account that for some people English may be a third fourth etc. language. It's debatable whether it is needed but EAL is ESL, at least in all the courses I took in Canada, and all the books I've read on the subject.

Gizmo is correct about the distinction between EFL and ESL from what I've read. Regardless of whether they want to call it ESL or EAL (sounds like a really fvcking mundane distinction that's only going to result in one more term being bandied around, ESL EFL ELT EAL ETCzzzzzzzzzzzz).

What we do is EFL so if you really care call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Gizmo is correct about the distinction between EFL and ESL from what I've read. Regardless of whether they want to call it ESL or EAL (sounds like a really fvcking mundane distinction that's only going to result in one more term being bandied around, ESL EFL ELT EAL ETCzzzzzzzzzzzz).

What we do is EFL so if you really care call it that.
    Agreed, but don't say you have experience with EFL, instead of EAL/ESL, unless you actually do (for applicants).

Gotta be honest, thought about the two terms while I was overseeing an exam last period.

EAL is even less descriptive than ESL. IF they wanted to change ESL it should change to EIL. English as an immersive language, which would create a nice distinction between it and EFL

Sorry AVN, everything I had read before coming over was that EFL and EAL were synonymous. I'll defer to you on it though because I think your reading is more current than mine atm.