Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 U.S. Application Questions

Default 2014 U.S. Application Questions

Any suggestions on successfully answering this question?

28. Long Term Plans

Explain in a few sentences the proposed direction of your current or future profession and its relationship to the JET Program.

Default Re: 2014 U.S. Application Questions

internationalization

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Honesty and truth.

What are you doing after JET and how does JET connect to that goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Seconding Gizmo,

The successful answer is the honest answer unless the honest answer involved cultivating a drug trade in east Asia through contacts you make while on JET. If that's what you're doing, then I recommend keeping your trap shut.

lol If only I knew what I wanted to do after JET. [If I even get in.] Working somewhere, but where and doing what- only time can tell that one!

Even if it's something kind of idealistic that you're not actually sure would ever work out, it's probably better to write that than not to write anything at all. (Providing that thing isn't completely unrelated to your education/experience)

2a. What diseases, ailments, or injuries have you had in the past five years? Please explain.

this is pretty vague. do they want symptoms?! description of what the disease is?! grrr

I'm pretty sure you don't have to go too in depth, but could say something along the lines of 'I broke my arm due to an accident' or 'I developed asthma/allergies to seafood/etc.' If you have a complex medical history or any ongoing condition you need to have your doctor fill out the physician's form so this could also possibly be a way for them to weed out those who didn't get one but needed one.
    I came here to laugh at you.

thanks, wasabi! That's why I ask, I have a complex medical history.

spelling error spotted on the app! "familiy"

As long as you're not derping on the spelling on your application answers, don't worry about whatever the people in DC did.

If it seems like it will require ongoing medical supervision and/or potentially affect your job I would mention it. If the effects are minimal you're probably fine since it's past the cutoff

I'd mention it so you'd get a chair at school assemblies instead of being made to stand/sit on the cold floor. Word it as a knee injury that affects kneeling or something so they know you can still get around fine.

Hello, all! Newb and first-time applicant here. Glad I found this forum after the unfortunate death of the official Current Applicants forum.

Will this be the official thread to discuss the US app? (: Well, I'm gonna throw my questions out there; hopefully someone will be able to help me out and offer some insight/opinions, or maybe I'll resort to asking the embassy.

Teaching Experience:
    I had a small job in English conversation classes where I would sit in a small group with students and usually go through a list of questions - all sorts of topics from hobbies to family to jobs to discrimination (for the advanced classes :P). Though this took place in classrooms, I didn't do any actual teaching so would I be correct in putting this in 25b. Other Teaching or Tutoring?

TEFL Certification:
    I assume I do have to list all the courses I took? I took a total of 11 courses/seminars - 4 were 1-day seminars. And they only provide 5 spaces....
    How does attaching an extra page work? Do I upload it in PDF/doc form for online submission?

Many of the course titles are quite long and don't fit within the character limit. Would you guys recommend that I cut out the not-so-relevant parts of the course name, shorten words, or just copy and paste as much fits?

Also, I don't need to include a transcript for this, right?

Placement Preference:
    My first choice is "Block - Place."
    Second choice is "Same block."
    Third: "Different Block - Place".

Perfectly fine, right?

Mental Health?
    I saw my school counselor only twice for some feelings of depression. I think this is kind of minor, so do you guys think it would be okay if I don't mention it at all?

Yeah, I have a lot of questions...but you can't be too careful. :P Thanks!

ETA: All right, two more things:
    - AP credits - this is listed under "Transfer Credit" on my transcript. Since these were classes in high school, pretty common, and they're not even listed on the transcript, I don't need to provide any information about them, right?

- At my college, my GEs included this thing called Program of Concentration (UCSD, anyone?). My transcript has a section called "Minor, Area Study, or Program of Concentration" where my two required PofCs are listed. They're not minors so I don't need to list them in the Higher Education part of the app, yeah?
    Last edited by epikzwei; November 4th, 2013 at 08:25.

Quick question relating to the health thing. Do I have to list antibiotics that I took this past year for minor infections?

Deleting a stupid question. :P
    Last edited by epikzwei; November 4th, 2013 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by epikzwei View Post
    Teaching Experience:
    I had a small job in English conversation classes where I would sit in a small group with students and usually go through a list of questions - all sorts of topics from hobbies to family to jobs to discrimination (for the advanced classes :P). Though this took place in classrooms, I didn't do any actual teaching so would I be correct in putting this in 25b. Other Teaching or Tutoring?
    Yes, this belongs in teaching/tutoring.

TEFL Certification:
    I assume I do have to list all the courses I took? I took a total of 11 courses/seminars - 4 were 1-day seminars. And they only provide 5 spaces....
    How does attaching an extra page work? Do I upload it in PDF/doc form for online submission?

Many of the course titles are quite long and don't fit within the character limit. Would you guys recommend that I cut out the not-so-relevant parts of the course name, shorten words, or just copy and paste as much fits?

Also, I don't need to include a transcript for this, right?
    AFAIK you do not need to submit transcripts for TEFL certifications, just an indication that you completed a cert. You will need to provide some proof of TEFL certification completion, which will likely be your completion certificate.
    Placement Preference:
    My first choice is "Block - Place."
    Second choice is "Same block."
    Third: "Different Block - Place".

Perfectly fine, right?
    No, do not list the same place twice

Mental Health?
    I saw my school counselor only twice for some feelings of depression. I think this is kind of minor, so do you guys think it would be okay if I don't mention it at all?
    Will your doctor know about this and consider it relevant on your medical form? Is this a long term issue? Have you received medication?
    If the answer is no to these questions, I wouldn't bother.

ETA: All right, two more things:
    - AP credits - this is listed under "Transfer Credit" on my transcript. Since these were classes in high school, pretty common, and they're not even listed on the transcript, I don't need to provide any information about them, right?

- At my college, my GEs included this thing called Program of Concentration (UCSD, anyone?). My transcript has a section called "Minor, Area Study, or Program of Concentration" where my two required PofCs are listed. They're not minors so I don't need to list them in the Higher Education part of the app, yeah?
    AFAIK (You should probably email your local coordinator about this one) you don't need to submit any extra information for transfer AP credits if they are indicated on your final transcript.

If your final degree doesn't list Major + Minor, then you do not need to indicate a minor in the higher education area.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hi Gizmo, thanks for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    No, do not list the same place twice
    I was wondering if they'd take it to mean "If I don't get this city, I don't want this block", and the app says "Try to choose a different block for your third choice" so I thought it was okay, but all right. ┐(´~`;)┌

Re: seeing a counselor, the physician I saw at my university one time (the only time) knows I met with a counselor, but I assume that's just because they're all within the health cluster on campus. Not gonna worry about it then.
    Last edited by epikzwei; November 4th, 2013 at 16:14.

I actually had a difficult time with the teaching experience section.

I work as a substitute teacher for a large county in the state I live in. That means that I typically bounce from school to school. After a year and a half of working about 30-40 hour work weeks, you'd think I'd have a school I had been to more than just once or twice. But unfortunately, because I wasn't picky with my job assignments my teaching experience section looks a little odd. I listed a wide assortment of schools and subjects that I taught. Starting with the standard elementary school to art and then I threw in my work as a sub IA for the hearing impaired and ASL. I hope the variety is alright. I could have listed at least twenty more schools and subjects that I taught but I thought those were the most interesting and the schools I frequented the most.

I hope I filled in this part of the application correctly. It didn't seem right to simply throw in the name of my school district and the list the crazy spectrum of subjects that I as a sub have taken on. Especially since it seemed to be asking for the name of schools specifically.

Are there any other applying substitute teachers that ran into a similar problem?
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; November 5th, 2013 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I actually had a difficult time with the teaching experience section.
    ... stuff.....

I hope I filled in this part of the application correctly. It didn't seem right to simply throw in the name of my school district and the list the crazy spectrum of subjects that I as a sub have taken on. Especially since it seemed to be asking for the name of schools specifically.

Are there any other applying substitute teachers that ran into a similar problem?
    I wouldn't worry about it. You won't be the first substitute/under employed teacher to join the JET program, and if they question it it will likely be in the interview, and you can answer appropriately. I highly doubt they will think the... breadth... of your teaching employment would count against you negatively. In fact, they might be impressed, given that's sort of how some JHS/ES ALTs actually work.