Thread: Proposed Direction of Current or Future Profession and Its Relationship to JET.

Default Proposed Direction of Current or Future Profession and Its Relationship to JET.

Saw this box on the App form. Just interested to know what you guys were gonna write in there.

Im guessing "I hate my current job and fancied an extended working holiday before I'm too old to appreciate it" wouldn't go down too well....
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Default Re: Proposed Direction of Current or Future Profession and Its Relationship to JET.

I think this is an area that is hard to address directly, being general with your focus might be okay, but talking to many of the former and current JETs here, I'm under the impression that the committee wants to stress that JET isn't a career job, and they want to see what you plan to do after.

Default Re: Proposed Direction of Current or Future Profession and Its Relationship to JET.

That's the problem.
    I imagine that a lot of people go on JET specifically because they don't know what they want to do next. Or they decided that what they wanted to do wasn't for them, so they need something to fill the gap while they make up their minds.

Well mine is straight forward for that part. I intend to move on to a PGCE (Postgraduate certificate in Education) regardless of being hired by JET or not because my long term goal is to teach. But JET is a great opportunity for me to combine an interest with gaining an insight and experience in teaching which will help me significantly in the future. The problem I'm having is that I mention all this in my Personal Statement and don't want to feel like I am milking the same thing twice. In fact I noticed a lot of the application aspects so far end up being repeats of things I have already mentioned in my Personal Statement.
    Last edited by Aurano; October 30th, 2013 at 08:30.

If you don't know what to do after JET, then you might have a problem. This is a temp job, regardless if you want to stay in Japan forever and ever. Even if you don't know, find a way to connect your future to JET and how it will advance you in your future career.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'll agree with everyone else,

Spin it up into a career building exercise, or say you know what you're doing afterwards.

Doesn't have to be true, just has to be consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post
    Well mine is straight forward for that part. I intend to move on to a PGCE (Postgraduate certificate in Education) regardless of being hired by JET or not because my long term goal is to teach. But JET is a great opportunity for me to combine an interest with gaining an insight and experience in teaching which will help me significantly in the future. The problem I'm having is that I mention all this in my Personal Statement and don't want to feel like I am milking the same thing twice. In fact I noticed a lot of the application aspects so far end up being repeats of things I have already mentioned in my Personal Statement.
    I am in exactly the same position. I want to be a teacher later in life too, but I've already mentioned it in my Statement.
    In fact, a lot of the things mentioned in my statement/references are asked about in the application form.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That is how it should be. The statement of purpose and the application form has quite a bit of overlap, and the answers should be consistent between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

if you are applying to JET as some kind of gap year exercise because you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, please please don't.
    being an ALT is not a continuation of frat/sorority soirees. it might not be a career, but it IS a job. it might not matter to you, but it matters to your colleagues and to your students - they can't go back and have high school again because you fancied a "fill in" for fun. i'm not saying only those who want to be teachers should be ALTs - far from it - but think about what you could learn on JET that might be useful as a transferable skills.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I agree with Wicket, A lot of the JETs I worked with came because they wanted to teach. They were good at it and they enjoyed it. They got the most out of the programme and stayed for years.
    I met a fair few Jets who just came for the doss. they stayed only one year and a bitter year it was too.

First time I applied it was because I loved teaching, I had experience teaching English aborad and i enjoyed living in Japan, so Jet ticked all the boxes. However, I also used the two years I spent on Jet to think seriously about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I'm 28 now and still haven't figured it out. I doubt another stint on JET would solve that, but it can't do any harm to spend a couple of years doing a job I love doing and am actually quite good at instead of building a "respectable career" in a job i dont enjoy.

You don't have to love teaching you just have to give a sht about your job and do it well. I hated a lot of my jobs and still worked hard when I was on the clock. I also know quite a few ALTs who fit this category. There have also been people who love teaching but suck at it.
    Last edited by jwkelley; October 31st, 2013 at 02:01.

How much have you guys written on this? I'm worried that my single sentence isn't really enough but I don't know what else I can say.
    'After JET I intend to enter into the software industry in Japan, using the experiences I have gained from JET to help me improve the internationalisation of the Japanese software industry.'

I didn't write a great deal, but I touched on specific points without going into too much detail about my future goal and how JET ties in with it. It's quite simple for me though. I intend to teach and JET is a great opportunity for me to gain experience in teaching whilst exploring a culture of interest. That's pretty much a shortened version of what I said.

Hmmmm, I'm also wondering about this bit.

My honest answer would be that I want to pursue a career using my Japanese skills which (obviously) involves Japan but I don't exactly know what so I'm hoping to get a more solid plan through JET... I don't know if I should just be honest about that or just say like 'translation' or something. (Which wouldn't exactly be a lie as it's something I'm considering, just that it's not the ONLY thing I'm considering.)

(CIR applicant btw!)

I would go with something specific, like translator. If they see you are unsure they might consider you to be spontaneous that doesn't think things through. Having a solid goal shows you have a focus and a solid purpose in JET. Though JET is mainly about teaching, so maybe you should consider mentioning something along the lines of the fact that you could also teach Japanese to employees within official bodies such as businesses or government back at home.

I'm just pitching ideas to you, but I believe that painting a clear picture will provoke the best responses from JET.

Last year I wrote two sentences about how the Program will help me figure out if I'd like to become an ESL teacher or pursue International Business. You don't need to go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    How much have you guys written on this? I'm worried that my single sentence isn't really enough but I don't know what else I can say.
    'After JET I intend to enter into the software industry in Japan, using the experiences I have gained from JET to help me improve the internationalisation of the Japanese software industry.'
    This sounds a bit vague to me. It's probably best to include something slightly more concrete (even if it's just about how learning the language during your time on JET could prepare you for a career in Japan)

If you finished college, then I'm sure you've learned how to BS. If you don't have an honest answer to this question, then it's time to pull out those old college skills and tell them something(just make sure you know what you wrote and keep your story straight)