Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question regarding placement requests

Default Quick question regarding placement requests

Am I allowed to request a type of area (urban/suburban/rural) without specifying a region or prefecture? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I feel like the directions on the application are kind of vague.

I'm on the US application if that means anything.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Quick question regarding placement requests

It was an option on the Canadian form 3 years ago. Rural/urban.

Does that mean you will get it? no. Could you get it? possibly

Placement requests are always a shot in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

There's not a shot in the dark if you can give good reasons why you want to go to a particular place or would prefer rural over urban or vice versa. I pretty much got my placement requests both times I did JET but they certainly grilled me over my choices in the interviews.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I got my exact placement request. The people who say its random are just bitter
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Even if you don't get your placement request, putting one down and being able to explain it will show that you have at least thought about that particular component of your application seriously.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

You don't want to appear inflexible.

Also, Okinawa ain't a tropical wonderland for those that look like the spouse of a Marine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I won't say that placement requests are random. Technically I got placed in the same block as one of my requests, so it's not "random" in the sense that you'll request Okinawa and end up in Hokkaido.

I guess it would be that you'll more than likely end up in the same block as one of your requests but don't bank on getting the exact city or prefecture.

It seems like you're also more likely to get your request if you ask for a prefecture that hardly anyone ever requests (Shimane, Yamaguchi, etc.)

That's what I'm hoping for therealwindycity. I put down some nowhere prefectures without much snow and don't mind being in the ass-end of nowhere.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I specifically asked for no snow. Then I got sent to one of the snowiest places in Japan.

Shit happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Are you in Aomori or something?

I was careful to not put that as the reason, I made up a different explanation as to why I was requesting southern Kyushu and Shikoku. I'm going to get plenty of snow this winter in Korea so maybe I will be adjusted if that happens. (I've lived me entire life in Louisiana until now, so snow kinda scares me)

Not liking a type of weather for trivial reasons, having seen a place in an anime, visiting somewhere on holiday once, sticking a pin in a map at random, guessing where looks nice based on their Wikipedia page- these are not good reasons for a placement request.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Not liking a type of weather for trivial reasons, having seen a place in an anime, visiting somewhere on holiday once, sticking a pin in a map at random, guessing where looks nice based on their Wikipedia page- these are not good reasons for a placement request.
    Hmmm, would you say unless you have a really serious reason for a placement it's best not to put one?
    I could definitely make a convincing case for wanting to go to one of my choices but my other ones are just kind of like "I've never been there and they look pretty awesome based on google"

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I won't say that placement requests are random. Technically I got placed in the same block as one of my requests, so it's not "random" in the sense that you'll request Okinawa and end up in Hokkaido.

I guess it would be that you'll more than likely end up in the same block as one of your requests but don't bank on getting the exact city or prefecture.
    Except that that happens all the time... I know several JETs who applied for Okinawa and got Hokkaido. I also know of a couple of JETs who applied for Hokkaido and got Okinawa. One of the JETs who requested Okinawa actually had a grandmother in Okinawa and a girlfriend. He still got placed in Hokkaido.

Of course the obvious answer is the JET program is beholden unto the BOEs not us. They will fill their requests long before even considering where we want to live. Sure you wanted the Kansai region, but Hokkaido said they want someone with several years in marketing for some reason and you fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Of course the obvious answer is the JET program is beholden unto the BOEs not us. They will fill their requests long before even considering where we want to live. Sure you wanted the Kansai region, but Hokkaido said they want someone with several years in marketing for some reason and you fit the bill.
    This is the truth. It's not random, but your requests are secondary to those of your Contracting Organization.

Seems like Okinawa is a popular choice, and I'll be honest, I put it down as my first choice as well. I'm starting to feel like I should just put down 'No Preference' again though and just rolling the dice.

Good thread, was thinking about this when going through the application.

I want the Osaka area personally so I chose the prefecture/small city next to it, a slightly larger city to the south of it, and then Okinawa since I love the music and culture of that place more than anything just as entertainment reasons I would say.

Was curious though... is there honestly any real way to not request the frozen areas haha. I'm from the Southern USA and have NEVER been through snow and assume I would die come late fall haha. I assume if you get an interview it would come up as to why you chose a region but yeah, sounds almost random if you have no real reason for choosing a particular area. Speaking of, what kinds of reasons do you guys think they like to hear as to why you chose an area? Also what about that section that follows, if that the place to say "omg arthritis cant go, or would it be best to not fill it out instead of a dumb ass response in that spot

Just remember, being against a place could count against you in an interview.
    I requested Hokkaido and they asked me "what would you do if you got Okinawa?". They will ask you the same in reverse. If you indicate that you would be against that, if they get any indication that you might back out if you get a northern placement that could be the end of your application process.
    Also, be warned if you choose one of the well known places (Osaka, Hokkaido, Okinawa, Kyoto, etc). They will want to know why. You should have a better answer than "I know those places and I don't know other places" or "I want to live next to a big city so I can go out and do stuff on the weekend". Those are big red flags and can count against you in the interview process.
    Valkerion: Another thing you should keep in mind is that houses in Osaka and Southern Japan are poorly insulated, sometimes they are not insulated at all. This means that though it may only get to about 0-5 degrees Celcius your house will be that temperature. It will be very cold at night, you will need a heater, a kotatsu, etc. If you really think you'll die in the cold (Which you won't by the way, you'll adjust just like all the people from Australia and the southern states who have lived in Hokkaido and Japan before you) then maybe Japan is not for you.

Southerner here, first winter sucked but I got over it. The worst part is buildings not being that much warmer than the outside, since they're insulated by imagination and gaman.

Generally BOE requirements get priority over placement requests. If you are a Japanese speaking female from the UK, and Inaka BOE wants someone with those qualifications, then you're pretty much going there. Requests such as "I'm diabetic and would like to be near a hospital" or "My city is such-and-such's sister city" are far more likely to be honored than "I want to be near cool cultural stuff," "I don't want to be hot/cold," or "I want shit to do on weekends."
    Last edited by coop52; November 3rd, 2013 at 11:12.