Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick question regarding placement requests

Default Re: Quick question regarding placement requests

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Southerner here, first winter sucked but I got over it. The worst part is buildings not being that much warmer than the outside, since they're insulated by imagination and gaman.

Generally BOE requirements get priority over placement requests. If you are a Japanese speaking female from the UK, and Inaka BOE wants someone with those qualifications, then you're pretty much going there. Requests such as "I'm diabetic and would like to be near a hospital" or "My city is such-and-such's sister city" are far more likely to be honored than "I want to be near cool cultural stuff," "I don't want to be hot/cold," or "I want shit to do on weekends."
    I have a totally tenuous link to one of my placement requests which amounts to 'It's sister cities with the city in America named after the British city I went to university in'. Might work well if I spin the 'I want to foster relationships between the two cities' angle.

Placements or no placements, I'd just be happy to get on the programme.

Do your homework and try to find one of the several prefectures that give Jets the school vacations off work. Makes a hell of a difference.

good advice from Mrcharisma. Be sure to mention that in your interview too.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Do your homework and try to find one of the several prefectures that give Jets the school vacations off work. Makes a hell of a difference.
    Oh wow didn't quite realize that different prefectures opt between giving JETs school vacations off or not. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for the great advice Mrcharisma.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mardeuce View Post
    Oh wow didn't quite realize that different prefectures opt between giving JETs school vacations off or not. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for the great advice Mrcharisma.
    Uhh, it's not really prefectures, more contracting organizations. For instance, in my prefecture, prefecutral ALTs do not get summers off, but many City ALTs get half days (or more) during the summer months. I have heard of other prefectures where they will give you a cultural immersion allowance of a couple of days which you can use for things like immersive Japanese study, or if you're good and can pitch it, a vacation in Japan to culturally relevant places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thank you for elaborating on that Gizmotech. Well for the most part I guess it's just a wait and see kind of thing. No matter what there is a unique experience to be gained.

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    Valkerion: Another thing you should keep in mind is that houses in Osaka and Southern Japan are poorly insulated, sometimes they are not insulated at all. This means that though it may only get to about 0-5 degrees Celcius your house will be that temperature. It will be very cold at night, you will need a heater, a kotatsu, etc. If you really think you'll die in the cold (Which you won't by the way, you'll adjust just like all the people from Australia and the southern states who have lived in Hokkaido and Japan before you) then maybe Japan is not for you.
    Yeah I'm well aware lol. I have no problem with the cold personally, its more the traveling in snow. People are already bad enough drivers, myself included, but add inexperience in snow conditions cant be good, is what I was going for.
    In all honesty, even though I did not choose Hokkaido, it would probably be my 4th choice, hell it was my first choice until about 3 months ago. My choices for Osaka area were for extended family that lives there and have never really connected with after meeting them for the first time about 13 years ago (had no clue we had Japanese in our family til a particular family Reunion) , Okinawa is where they are originally from, as well as loving Okinawa music/culture and how its different from the main islands. So I have mulled it over quite a bit and was not a choice out of climate alone

Hm. Maybe I'm a little odd but I actually requested Hokkaido because it has snow. But then again, I also requested Kyoto and then Tottori simply because I wanted to vary my locations up. One near a city, one very far away from a city and then my last one in northern Japan. My logic was more that there were so many different locations that I'd enjoy that I just opted for a little bit of everything.

I can't say I really have a good reason for picking any of them. Kyoto just simply was near all the historical locations I'd want to visit. And Hokkaido because I wanted to live in a location with mountains and snow- similar to my experience when I lived in the blue ridge mountain range. Tottori was extremely rural and had beautiful sand dunes that intrigued me. I wanted at least one of my locations to be lesser known... though I was torn between Tottori and Shimane. Hm... wish I had probably put that down instead of Hokkaido. I just didn't realize Hokkaido was so well known before I chose it. I personally was only familiar with the big cities in Japan before I started researching locations for my application.
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; November 6th, 2013 at 14:04.

Nah; lots of people request Hokkaido for winter sports and the like.

Be ready to be asked why you requested X location, and if you can't provide a good reason, be ready to be placed somewhere completely different.

I wasn't placed anywhere near any of my requests (which were relatively obscure; not any of the "Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto" standards). I had little justification for any of them (sister city, interested in X thing, etc.), and made it clear in my interview that I would be very happy to be placed *anywhere* in Japan. I quite like my placement (although I would still have loved to be further south and be somewhere more conducive to surfing).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    It seems like you're also more likely to get your request if you ask for a prefecture that hardly anyone ever requests (Shimane, Yamaguchi, etc.)
    I would never, ever have requested Yamaguchi, but now that I'm here, I love it. I am particularly happy because I am just a few minutes away from a main shinkansen stop. Anyway, request anywhere that you want, but there are lots of great placements here in the Guch!

Requested semi-urban Osaka prefecture, got exactly what I wanted. Yes, I was grilled on it in the interview, but I could give a good reason
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

I requested a smallish town I'd visited in high school, and I got it. It was the best placement ever!