Thread: I'm a Freelancer! Employment advice

Default I'm a Freelancer! Employment advice

Hello!

I forgot I had an account here already! Wow! Well, I'm FINALLY applying for JET. Gonna do it! BALLS TO THE WALLS! Buuuuuuuut I have a quick question about my employment history.

I have been freelancing for at least a year and a half now. Would JET count this as work experience?

Also, I have been volunteering at a Rabbit Rescue for two years. Where can I use this?

I also work at a website that is similar to Neopets. I create visual content for this website in exchange for non-monetary goods. Does this count as employment or volunteering?

I also have a lot of internships from working in the film industry. Any Protips on how I can use those?

Lots of help is greatly loved!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: I'm a Freelancer! Employment advice

Freelance work is employment, and could be used for letter of reference if appropriately explained.

you can put your rabbit rescue in volunteering

I wouldn't mention the website thing.

There is a space for internships.

Just remember, too much non money generating activites on that form could look bad. Try to keep things balanced eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

How does this sound?

Self-employed digital artist who engaged clients on a personal basis using a variety of artistic tools to create quality productions according to the expectations and requests of my clients.

Projects included 3d printing consultation, Mardi Gras prop making, graphic design projects, and film set designs.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

drop mardigras and put holidays and events prop making instead. done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Tweed, come on man, even the lowest PAs get paid. Heck, post-production people doing roto and tracking get paid

I'm kidding. They don't even count as people, but I understand how much of a monster the film industry can be ie why I switch to something more stable.

Wording sounds good, just make sure it fits in the print preview at the end of the application. I might take out the "on a personal basis" it seems implied if you are engaging with clients. Also maybe change the ending to "accoding to their expectations and requests" so you don't have the word "clients" in the sentence twice. Just ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Just make sure it fits in the print preview at the end of the application.
    Can't stress this enough. There's more room in the entry forms online than will appear in the actual form.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Tweed, come on man, even the lowest PAs get paid. Heck, post-production people doing roto and tracking get paid

I'm kidding. They don't even count as people, but I understand how much of a monster the film industry can be ie why I switch to something more stable.
    I don't blame you. But I have been in a few production where we were treated as "unpaid interns". I'm glad I now only accept unpaid work when it's for friends making student films. DX

Thank you guys a lot for the advice! I don't want to spend too much time on this part of my application, so I'm going to make the changes and continue working on my SOP.