Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to address (or not address) past mental health issues

Default How to address (or not address) past mental health issues

I have a question, possibly need some advice.

In the self-assessment medical form, it says to list EVERY physical/mental ailment you've ever had, ever, and if you have to elaborate, they want you to take the other health form to your doctor to have them verify this. Okay.

When I was younger, I had what I now consider mild depression/anxiety issues. I saw a shrink or two and took meds on and off until my 2nd year of college, by which time I'd gotten my issues under control and was able to function fine without medication. I'm not depressed anymore and my anxiety is at reasonable, normal-people levels.

My question is, would it be a bad idea to leave that stage of my life off my self-assessment form? I haven't seen a shrink in years and I now live in a different town from anyone I used to go to, so there's no way I can have someone sign off saying I'm not nuts. Would the JET people find out if I left it off? Does it matter anymore, as long as I'm fine now?

I DO have to go have my doctor for my current physical chronic condition fill out the form, but as he's a gastroenterologist, I don't know if they'd buy him signing off on my mental health too.

Default Re: How to address (or not address) past mental health issues

This is up to your judgement.

JET probably won't be calling doctors or trying to get medical files, and it's likely they'd never find out. But if they do find out, your application will be disqualified, and you will likely be disqualified from applying in the future. They take mental illness very seriously.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It's your choice. For me, I wouldn't bother telling them. Just keep in mind if this does reoccur while in Japan and renders you incapable of doing your work, many of our contracts have a "did not provide full and accurate information" termination area, which means they could fire your ass if it's a previous event... if they wanted to which I doubt they would unless it became a huge problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default How to address (or not address) past mental health issues

Also keep in mind that while you are fine in the warm and loving bosom of your home nation, even people with no history of issues can get depressed or anxious in Japan. There is also little in the way of decent psychological help, especially in the deep inaka. Make sure you really understand what you can tolerate before you come.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; November 1st, 2013 at 08:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I saw a shrink and took some anxiety meds for a couple of months in my first year of high school, didn't write it on the form since I hadn't had issues since then. Still fine now. I'm pretty sure I was just in a weird emo phase that I would have outgrown anyway. If I remember correctly from when I applied, they only asked for major illnesses from the past seven years or so, but they might have changed it. I didn't put down that I had chickenpox as a kid either, for the record. It's kind of hard to judge how moving to another country will affect you though, so it might be a good idea to put it down anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Also keep in mind that while you are fine in the warm and loving bosom of your home nation, even people with no history of issues can get depressed or anxious in Japan. There is also little in the way of decent psychological help, especially in the deep inaka. Make sure you really understand what you can tolerate before you come.
    I knew someone was going to post this, I thought it would be word or gizmo though.

mental health issues as well as chronic physical conditions? good luck with that application........
    Last edited by Antonath; November 1st, 2013 at 09:04.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ini and UTIL might be jumping to conclusions here, but CLAIR does take mental health issues seriously. Perhaps not enough to exclude you from consideration, but if you do list it on the medical form, I'd imagine there would be some questions at the interview stage.

Check how far back you have to list, if nothing else. Usually the forms only want a few years back, not everything ever.
    ...because Japan.

I knew someone was going to post this, I thought it would be word or gizmo though.
    Meh. Needs to be said, even if no one ever listens. I've met enough ALTs here with obvious emotional difficulties.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

On the topic of medical issues, is anybody aware of any bias in the application screening against people with medical conditions like cancer or other health related issues?

if you are "cancer free" then no, if you are as bald as walter white and are taking a cocktail of drugs everyday just to prolong your inevitable premature death then your app will probably end up being used as toilet paper.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The tone and language of the post led me to believe it wasn't the usual chronic depressive emos, but someone who is probably ready to rock and roll. I just figured cautioning on the relapse point.

Usually I would have posted what UTIL said though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

They will only find out if they check this forum and your email address on the application is CrouchingMouse@blahblahblah...

If you want to get hired I'd recommend probably not mentioning it, but to reinforce what others have said really think if you can handle it. If going to college and have those experiences and being on your own and not having anyone you know or relate to was a factor in why you were taking meds at the beginning college, then seriously consider it because living overseas can be pretty sucky sometimes in those regards.
    Last edited by dstin; November 1st, 2013 at 12:00.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

No bias with history of cancer - I had first-hand experience of that.

With mental health issues I agree with UTIL - be very very sure that you want to go. Coping in rural Japan will be nothing like coping back home; the last thing you need is to go through all that crap again.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    On the topic of medical issues, is anybody aware of any bias in the application screening against people with medical conditions like cancer or other health related issues?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    if you are "cancer free" then no, if you are as bald as walter white and are taking a cocktail of drugs everyday just to prolong your inevitable premature death then your app will probably end up being used as toilet paper.
    Good to see you've mellowed, Ini.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Wicket did you put the dementia on your form when you applied? I can't imagine they wouldn't have found out eventually if you'd lied about it.

Could just have claimed he forgot if found out.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Hmm, is the Authorization and Release Form even valid in the US?
    I thought HIPAA requests were required to have both an expiration date and a clause informing the patient of the right to revoke the authorization?

...because Japan.

Wicket did you put the dementia on your form when you applied? I can't imagine they wouldn't have found out eventually if you'd lied about it.
    i like you. you funny.