Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: A4 Paper in America

  1. #1

    Default A4 Paper in America

    I just spent three hours today driving around my local area trying to find a store that sells A4 paper. Turns out, it's very uncommon in the US... much to my dismay. I ended up having to special order the paper from Staples. 9 dollar ream of paper that with shipping will cost me 20 dollars for 2 sheets to print my essay out on.

    Is any other applicant having the same issue? Any tips on where to find A4 without having to order online or drive around aimlessly for hours?

    I'm gonna feel really dumb if you can pick up a ream at CVS or something.

  2. #2

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Does it say on your application that it must be on A4 paper?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I just spent three hours today driving around my local area trying to find a store that sells A4 paper. Turns out, it's very uncommon in the US... much to my dismay. I ended up having to special order the paper from Staples. 9 dollar ream of paper that with shipping will cost me 20 dollars for 2 sheets to print my essay out on.

    Is any other applicant having the same issue? Any tips on where to find A4 without having to order online or drive around aimlessly for hours?

    I'm gonna feel really dumb if you can pick up a ream at CVS or something.
    I am quite sure the guidelines say to use letter-size paper (or A4). At most you get 1-2 sentences extra on the A4. Is it really worth all of that^^?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Aurano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    I thought A4 was regular letter size paper. You can get it fairly easily over here in England from any stationary shop.

  5. #5
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Letter-sized paper is 8 1/2" by 11".

  6. #6
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Yeah; I just printed mine on nice US Letter paper (resume paper of some kind, as I recall). Why the emphasis on A4? If it's just the extra line that you get, try using a slightly more compact font.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Yeah don't worry about it, do it on regular letter size. Tbh this is something you should check with the embassy about though, none of us oldies would know if they changed some guideline (but it's doubtful).

  8. #8

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    This is an essay, in English, of no more than two pages on letter-size (or A4) paper, typewritten in black 12-point font and double-spaced with one-inch margins.
    Wow. I feel dumb. For some reason I thought it HAD to be A4 paper. Welp... I guess I spent a little bit more time and money than was necessary. Silly me.

  9. #9
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Don't worry; the JET program application has driven people to do crazier things ...

  10. #10

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Don't worry; the JET program application has driven people to do crazier things ...
    Haha. I believe it.

  11. #11

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    I printed my paper on a stack of recycled 90% white paper I bought from Walmart and still got into JET. As long as you're not printing it on stationary paper, I don't see a problem...

  12. #12

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I printed my paper on a stack of recycled 90% white paper I bought from Walmart and still got into JET. As long as you're not printing it on stationary paper, I don't see a problem...
    Yeah it was totally my bad. I saw A4 and somehow got it into my head that that was the sized paper I HAD to print it on. All the rules and guidelines of the application must have been making me a little loopy. I went back and looked over the SOP instructions again; little face palm moment there. So I guess I have a ream of paper coming my way that I really needn't have put so much effort into getting.

  13. #13

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Well, if you get into JET, at least you have A4 paper to print on when u get to Japan!

  14. #14

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Oh excellent! Looking on the bright side!

  15. #15
    Senior Member zombiekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,020

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    A4 is pretty uncommon in the big box stores. Even with overnight shipping amazon tends to be cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

  16. #16
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: A4 Paper in America

    Looks like this one has been resolved; thanks all!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •