Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Default So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

I'm just sitting here being paranoid about my application and wondering how other folks are doing.

I've written a draft of my SoP, gotten my transcripts, filled out the online application (though not yet submitted), had a doctor do the health thingy because I broke my leg last year, and that's about all I can think of. A professor and a professional reference have committed to write my 2 letters for me, but I'm still waiting on them.

I'm doing all of this from abroad so I'm trying to stay ahead of things, but if my references aren't on the ball then I'm royally f*ucked. How are you all doing?

(And if someone would like to review my U.S. SoP (and has a clue what the hell they're talking about) I would be most grateful.)

Default Re: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

I can sympathize on that whole waiting for a reference letter thing. I had two reference letter writers bail on me. Thankfully I had a close colleague who heard me airing my grievances a few days ago and quite literally dropped everything to write up a letter. He really saved me a lot of stress.

My application is all printed out and waiting to be sent. I only need to print out a final copy of my SOP, which I am planning to do soon. I think I'm going to shell out a few extra bucks to express ship it too. Just so that I won't have to worry about it not getting there in time via some freak mailing accident.

I have been contemplating back-up scenarios just in case my references don't come through. I would like to think they are responsible, but I feel like it's much more important to me to have the letters than it is to them to write the letters!

Definitely have a back up plan. As someone who's gone through this song and dance before (not with JET but with other jobs) it's always important to have someone else on standby. I actually asked four people for reference letters all at once even though we only need two. Just because I suspected that I might not get a reference from some of them. Two never replied (technically one person I contacted gave me the wrong contact information so only one person never replied to me). And one said she would do it but then never contacted me again.

So I had one really stellar reference letter writer but then three didn't pan out. And well you heard the story of how I just lucked out with my colleague volunteering himself. It's better to ask more people and get extra references than to ask only two and have one drop out or not follow the instructions correctly.

And that was my greatest fear too. That my reference writer (I was contacting them long distance as well) would not sign the back of the envelope or forget to make copies of their document. So, long story short, always have back ups.

Yeah, I have a guy who owns his own business that is familiar with my work ethic. He is my backup, as well as the ladies from my church group/rabbit rescue crew. I am hoping on at least ONE academic recommendation.

I still need to work on my SoP a bit, which I haven't looked at in a few weeks. ~__~ I'd say I'm about 80% done with the online application.
    I've already received one of my letters, and my second one and a back-up are on their way. I wish I could use all three. ;_;

I've just started at a new job and feel like I've barely had any time to go over the app really thoroughly. ):

Quote Originally Posted by epikzwei View Post
    I've already received one of my letters, and my second one and a back-up are on their way. I wish I could use all three. ;_;
    Man. Wish I had that problem. I was lucky to just get the two.

Quote Originally Posted by imightbetheone View Post

and has a clue what the hell they're talking about)
    You've come to the wrong place for that. Can I interest you in a selection of ill informed blowhards with less than 2 years experience?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Making revisions on my SOP. App is 90% done. Just have to get that doctor's exam, and hound my references. Getting nervous though. ;-;

My application packet is sitting in customs in Chicago. From there it will head down to Dallas where a family member has my original transcript copies and my second set of recommendation letters to send all together to the consulate.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    My application packet is sitting in customs in Chicago. From there it will head down to Dallas where a family member has my original transcript copies and my second set of recommendation letters to send all together to the consulate.
    Whew. And I thought getting my application together was hard work.

I had the same problem with reference letters where I wrote to four people and only one responded. Sooo, as a back up I asked my supervisor and thankfully she agreed.

As for the rest of the packet, I have my SOP written and am getting it looked at by a few people. I just need to do the application itself and get copies of everything.

I haven't started on my SoP yet (but I've been thinking about it) because I have a bunch of essays due in soon. As for the rest, I still need to get copies of things, but I have the references (1 still in the works), my police check and half of my certificate of health filled in.

Just curious, for the SoP, were you guys given a suggested topic? I'm from Melbourne and we got "If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALR?"

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Just curious, for the SoP, were you guys given a suggested topic? I'm from Melbourne and we got "If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALR?"
    Not really a topic so much as things we needed to include and keep in the back of our minds while writing.

You should incorporate all of the following points in your essay:

• Relevant Experience: Describe applicable experiences, professional skills, relevant interests and personal qualities, and how you feel these will be useful to you as an ALT or CIR.
    • Motivation for Participation: State why you wish to go to Japan and participate in the JET Program and why you are interested in the position for which you are applying. Also address what you hope to gain, both personally and professionally, and what effect you hope to have on the Japanese community and internationally as a result of your participation in the JET Program.
    But I followed an even more simple guideline of three questions. 1. Why should JET pick me? 2. Why did I pick JET? and 3. Why did I pick Japan? I added details here and there to make sure I followed and answered the points on the guideline page but I thought that these three questions I read summed up by a former JET were very helpful.

I think the only point my essay might be weak on is this one:
    what effect you hope to have on the Japanese community and internationally as a result of your participation in the JET Program.
    Not sure how to work that in yet. Though I'm pretty sure I've struck every other point, that's the only one where I'm not sure what to say. I mean other than, well- I have pretty modest hopes of being a good ALT.
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; November 6th, 2013 at 21:17.

Started and completed my app over the weekend. It's now ready to post as soon as I can get to the post office.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

I've completed my application and printing it today. Sending Statement of Physician to the doctors to get signed, then making all necessary photocopies once I have everything I need. After all that, it's just a case of sorting out each pack and sending that sucker off!

Posted mine.
    Feel bad having to rush it slightly, but I'm gonna be stuck in Bavaria for the next two weeks.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

One reference down , one to go, hopefully they'll have it done this week. If not going to ask my backup. Completed the application..still need to polish up my SoP so it's nice and pretty..and coherent..
    Couldn't think of something awesome and witty to put here so just use your imagination.

Finalizing my application. Just need my final reference letter and to think of a smart way to answer the proposed direction question and I will be good to go.

Printed out application! References are ready! Doctor's appointment is tomorrow! Waiting on FBI thingy~