Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Default Re: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Calm down HorseFeathers!

At the end of the day it is always better to spend more time on sometime and go over it again and again. Some people are able to grind out a piece of writing in one take. Others like to scrutinise the hell of their writing. Someone people probably have a lot of good information to put in to their essay so they can get away with more shabby writing. Others probably need to spruce up their essay with good writing because they don't have as much relevant information to put in.

There are a lot of angles why writing an essay can take a long time, or half an hour. I personally found over my time back in education that the more you plan an essay, or have it pre-decided in your mind, the easier it is to write.

Quote Originally Posted by jmejia019 View Post
    Holy crap i hope that was for next day mail! My transcript cost me $5....shipped haha.
    Nope.. All I was told was that it would be sent in the next 28 days... was so pissed off having to pay that much for 5 minutes of work and a like £1 to make. Made me wish I went to a different uni :P

And on the time spent - everyone has a different process. Usually I go into a piece of writing without a plan and just work at it. Then read over it/alter at certain points. But when it comes to something like this I have major writers block. I've actually put more effort into the statement at this point then I have some of my old essays haha.

Definitely not planning to spend the next two weeks writing mine, lol. I wrote a crapton of papers in college and finished most within a day or two. My problem is that I procrastinate. I just need to set a time for myself to sit down and actually do it.

I meant no disrespect or anything Horsefeathers. As I said, at least for me I tend to write better when I just let it "flow out" so to speak as generally my first imagining is the best. When I go back and heavily edit things it tends to come out disjointed and inorganic. But again that's just me.

And this essay, although only 2 pages (I majored in history so a short paper for me in college was like 8 pgs, normal papers more like 15, year-end projects close to 30) it does deserve and warrant a great deal of attention (whether it be spent actually writing, or planning, or agonizing afterwards haha). I think the 2 pg limit actually makes it harder to put into decent-sounding prose all of what they ask you to answer. One thing that did take up my time writing the SoP was minimizing the amount of words I used to make the same information apparent (concentrating the paper if you will). Making each word really count. As I just explained, and as you can see from this post, my college education gave me a bit of a habit of long-winded writing haha...
    Last edited by jmejia019; November 13th, 2013 at 09:03.

If you're still struggling with your SoP, I feel your pain.

I spent a few days just digging up everything I could find online on the guidelines and examples and advice from other people.

Frankly, there is very little good advice to be had about this particular beast.

I found ONE good SoP that I think is nearly flawless. You can read it on this page from the Aspiring and Applying archives:

Post your SOPs here: - Page 5

I took some notes for my SoP over a couple of days, turned that into an outline covering the main points required by the U.S. application, then ultimately wrote it in about an hour.

I've had it reviewed by one person, will make a few changes, and have it looked over again for any glaring errors.

It seems like an extremely important part of the application from what I've read, so it's worth putting some effort into it.

I meant no disrespect or anything Horsefeathers. As I said, at least for me I tend to write better when I just let it "flow out" so to speak as generally my first imagining is the best. When I go back and heavily edit things it tends to come out disjointed and inorganic. But again that's just me

To each their own, I guess. You must have a tendency to over think your stuff while I have a tendency to do the opposite. I have to put in the extra effort or my essay will be super informal and filled with typos.

(I majored in history so a short paper for me in college was like 8 pgs, normal papers more like 15, year-end projects close to 30)

That sounds about what was average for me as well. Although I did have a class that require two 20 page stories at the end of the year including a rewrite of one of the 20 page stories. But thankfully I haven't had to write anything that extensive for years.

Quote Originally Posted by imightbetheone View Post
    It seems like an extremely important part of the application from what I've read, so it's worth putting some effort into it.
    I agree. You don't need to over stress it but it is what will earn you the most points. So you really do need to take some time to double and triple check it, and have just few others look over it as well.

Some people may be lucky enough to get in writing their SOP in two hours at a bar. But not everyone will be that fortunate (or that coherent while drunk).

Anyway, I've shipped off my application at long last. Got into the post office after work, 20 minutes before the post office closed, and sent it off express. It should arrive at the embassy tomorrow at noon. I'm eagerly awaiting my return slip (I paid extra to be notified when it arrives). Here's to forgetting all about the JET program until January (well aside from brushing up on my katakana).
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; November 13th, 2013 at 09:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Well now that I've sat down to seriously start my application I've hit a snag. I wasn't going to say yes to any previous medical problems as they weren't ongoing or serious. However, the applications asks I've been prescribed any medication for anything and, well, I have...so I'm basically forced to get a physician's form...

I guess it's not a snag but it is one more thing to do...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Have you been prescribed medication for an event, or as a reoccurring thing? I definitely did not mention the codine and antibiotics I was prescribed after my surgery (about a year before JET) because it wasn't any of their business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I can confirm with you that the physician's form is required only in the event of current or ongoing medical conditions and/or medication.

I called the embassy twice to confirm this, since the wording on the self-assessment suggests otherwise. They actually told me the form "needs to be updated to reflect this," so I'm guessing its confused a lot of people.

This is of course assuming you're not an ED applicant.

Edit: This information applies to the US JET application.
    Last edited by Corvus; November 13th, 2013 at 14:00.

You called the US embassy, right?

It was just antibiotics and such, nothing for ongoing or current conditions. I'm not an ED applicant so I guess I'll just leave it blank. I just read the application and all those warnings about disqualification run through my head, you know?

yea they really get to you with that DQ stuff..... but i've called the JET office like 3 times about little stuff and they were REALLY helpful. I was totally expecting to get passed around to 8 different ppl only to be told they "cant discuss that, sir" but it they picked up on the first ring, THAT PERSON helped me, and it was painless.

I finished my academic papers and finally started writing up my SoP. Got my x-ray done today and still waiting for one reference letter! I hope I don't get a bill in the mail for the x-ray because the doctor cited "required for overseas study" as a reason which isn't bulk billed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Solo View Post
    Waiting for a copy of my transcript - after paying £27!!! >.<
    I feel your pain... I had to order an evidence of enrolment ($25 AUD) and transcript ($30). Appalling how uni gets away with charging so much for a piece of paper (with a signature) that probably took them less then 5 minutes to search and print off. I'm applying for early departure as well, so that's another $42 for the police check. This application is making me poorer with every document required. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    I wrote a crapton of papers in college and finished most within a day or two. My problem is that I procrastinate. I just need to set a time for myself to sit down and actually do it.
    High 5! I am EXACTLY like that. I really just need to get into the mood.

Waiting for me last letter of rec is driving me crazy! I'm trying to use the extra time to see if I can make any improvements to my SoP, but the waiting is making me nervous...

Also, one of the people who looked over my SoP asked if "kendo" needed to be capitalized in one of my paragraphs. I figured it doesn't since I wouldn't capitalize something like football or baseball. Does that sound right?

That is a bit of a brain bending question. I personally would capitalise Kendo, but I am not sure if it is 100% correct.

To me, it just seems more like it should hold the characteristics of a name, rather than a category of sport.

Please do not capitalize kendo...

Unless it's a proper name, a city, or the start of a sentence then you should leave it lowercase.

Don't capitalize kendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedirust View Post
    Unless it's a proper name, a city, or the start of a sentence then you should leave it lowercase.
    That was my thinking. I guess the person who was reading it might have thought it should be capitalized because it's a foreign word or something? Dunno.

Like I previously said, it's a funny one to determine. But it seems like more people are inclined not to capitalise it.