Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronics in Japan

Default Re: Electronics in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by CUPS View Post
    You think? I reckon a NJ will be first to be targeted, to be made an example of.
    The piracy laws in Japan were pushed into being by Sony Japan. They couldn't care less about some round eye downloading game of thrones.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I only download legal downloads now. It's a personal choice. That said, given that I can't download Game of Thrones legally, I am sorely tempted to get it off bittorent. Seriously, how can I legally acquire the third season?

I have paid for the most recent season of Justified, Walking Dead and the Newsroom. I am willing to pay for the product, but I am frustrated that I am not given a legal option.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I only download legal downloads now. It's a personal choice. That said, given that I can't download Game of Thrones legally, I am sorely tempted to get it off bittorent. Seriously, how can I legally acquire the third season?

I have paid for the most recent season of Justified, Walking Dead and the Newsroom. I am willing to pay for the product, but I am frustrated that I am not given a legal option.
    I tried to watch Game of Thrones and this is what happened - The Oatmeal

FYI, way back in the olden days I was at a homestay and downloaded a couple American movies, and my homestay family got a cease and desist letter from their ISP. So Japan cares at least a little about foreign downloads.

What a terrible houseguest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    What a terrible houseguest.
    I honestly was, it's very embarrassing to think of now.

I don't intend to steal really. I'm just frustrated by being unable to see the one stupid show. Japanese television doesn't really do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I think this might have been his own undoing seeing how he wasn't really savvy on how electronics worked on different wattage over there (his computer was made for US usage).
    Look at your laptop power adapter's label, or any consumer appliance for that matter. Somewhere on there it's going to say that it operates within a certain voltage range, probably 100-240V. The US uses 120 volts, Japan uses 110, and Europe uses 220/240. Most consumer electronics offer such a generous range for this very scenario. If he plugged in the adapter that came with his laptop into a Japanese socket, he'd have been fine.

It's likely he got over there, saw his laptop cord had 3 prongs and could not be plugged into the socket, so he borrowed someone else's adapter that had 2 prongs (but operated at a different amperage), and plugged it in.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HAIR DRYERS AND CURLING IRONS, all you need to do is pop down to your local hardware store or some shitty hole in the wall electronics shop in Akihabara and get a 3-prong to 2-prong converter. Should run the equivalent of USD $0.99 but some stores in the states will try to sell you unnecessary wall warts that do all sorts of power conversion for $20 or more, but these are to help you reach voltage ranges that your appliance wasn't built to handle. If your appliance can take 110v, you just need the cheap converter.
    Last edited by octagon; November 28th, 2013 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post

Is HBO GO not an option in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Is HBO GO not an option in Japan?
    Not without a proxy or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

You need a cable subscription for that, anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

I think I should step in at this point and say that ITIL does not condone piracy of films or TV programs, and would suggest you not admit to it openly if you are partaking in such activities.

If you can "legally acquire" (ahem...) content, that's an entirely different matter.

This lesson in ITIL slang brought to you by your admin team, our Google overlords, and the letters N, S, and A.
    ...because Japan.

I'm not really going to steal any content. I am just angry. BTW, iTunes Canada is selling the HD version of the Matrix for $6.99. It's an old movie, but what a steal!

Also, for those of you who like British television, the whole Sharpe series is on for $19.99. Good times.