Thread: Statement and Release Form

Default Statement and Release Form

Not sure if they one has already been answered or not.

On the Statement and Release form it has place born (which is unfilled) between your name and date of birth. City, County, Country.

Do I need to fill them in or is it OK to just sign and date it?

Default Re: Statement and Release Form

bleh!
    Last edited by Aurano; November 15th, 2013 at 08:42. Reason: Smartasses? What smartasses... Ahem.

If there's a space for it on the form, I'd fill it in. Unless there's a specific instruction not to, it's better to fill it in and have them not care than leave it blank and have them want it.
    Last edited by Antonath; November 15th, 2013 at 08:43.
    ...because Japan.

Aurano; There's absolutely no problem with asking this question. Considering the application is a point based system it's only natural to avoid making mistakes, regardless of what some of the more cynical members on this forum say. I believe you do fill out the Country and county etc.

Thanks Anthonath and Paddy.

ok, this is probably a rather silly question but I rather ask than sit on my ass and stress it. Here goes…on the list of required documents that my embassy put up there is no mention of the Authorization and Release Form. It is only mentioned in the Application as part of the following question.

16. If you answered “yes” to Question 10, please explain in detail on a separate sheet, providing information regarding the nature and date of the crime. Please also submit a copy of your complete criminal record which documents the incident at the time of the application or by the 15th of February at the latest. This will be examined to decide your short-list candidacy described in Section 10 of the application form.If you cannot obtain your complete criminal record for statutory reason, please read and sign the "Authorisation and Release form" in order to enable the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General to access your criminal record, which will be examined to decide your short-list candidacy.

Please also note that short-list candidates and alternates who answered “no” to Question 10 must obtain and submit your criminal record to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General where they interviewed by June 15 , 2014. (Please refer to the Application Procedures section for further details on this.)
    I messaged the embassy over here and asked if everyone needed to submit three copies of that document referring to the Authorisation and Release Form or if it is only to be submitted by persons with a criminal record. They responded along the lines that everyone must submit three copies of all documents as outlined in the guidelines (No reference to the form that I specifically asked about). Now I combed through the guidelines again and this form is really not included as a required document. I see on every other embassy website that you will be disqualified if you don't submit it. I was just going to submit it anyway but then I got a bit paranoid. What if it's some test to weed out the people who can't follow instructions etc.? I don't know so i'm just going to throw it out, what do you guys think? I am overanalysing the whole thing..?

You only have to submit it if you committed a crime and can't get a copy of your complete criminal record. If that doesn't apply to you, then the regular criminal record should be sufficient.

As far as I know, you must sign, date and submit a total of 4 Authorisation and Release forms regardless of having a criminal record or not right? I signed mine and I have never committed a crime in my life.

Oh, shit.... I hope this doesn't effect my application.

This is what it states in the instruction e-mail:

I have printed four copies of the Authorisation and Release Form and
    signed and dated each of them.(Be sure to complete all details regarding your city and county of birth.)

Last edited by Aurano; November 18th, 2013 at 09:31.

4 copies of the authorization and release form? I thought it was 3 of everything >.<

It kind of is only 3 if you submit on-line. Attaching an application to set 1 is optional according to the website. I did simple because I had just printed off 4 copies of the application. So I thought, why not?

* For applicants who also submit an application form online, attaching an application form print-out with Application Set 1 is optional.
    Last edited by Aurano; November 19th, 2013 at 06:09.

Aurano and moshimoshi, if you're applying from different countries there will be differences in requirements. That might be where the confusion is coming from.

Ah, that is true! I'm a UK applicant.

yep! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Trini View Post
    ok, this is probably a rather silly question but I rather ask than sit on my ass and stress it. Here goes…on the list of required documents that my embassy put up there is no mention of the Authorization and Release Form. It is only mentioned in the Application as part of the following question.

I messaged the embassy over here and asked if everyone needed to submit three copies of that document referring to the Authorisation and Release Form or if it is only to be submitted by persons with a criminal record. They responded along the lines that everyone must submit three copies of all documents as outlined in the guidelines (No reference to the form that I specifically asked about). Now I combed through the guidelines again and this form is really not included as a required document. I see on every other embassy website that you will be disqualified if you don't submit it. I was just going to submit it anyway but then I got a bit paranoid. What if it's some test to weed out the people who can't follow instructions etc.? I don't know so i'm just going to throw it out, what do you guys think? I am overanalysing the whole thing..?
    Did you email or call them? This is one of those things where it would probably be best to just call and refuse to get off the phone until you have a clear answer to your question.

this might seem like a dumb question, but I'm scared it seems more straightforward than it is... Canadian applicants only need to send in one copy of everything right? By everything I mean the printed online application + all other listed forms/documents.
    Last edited by Libellule; November 19th, 2013 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Did you email or call them? This is one of those things where it would probably be best to just call and refuse to get off the phone until you have a clear answer to your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    You only have to submit it if you committed a crime and can't get a copy of your complete criminal record. If that doesn't apply to you, then the regular criminal record should be sufficient.
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I am going to call the Embassy to get a more definite answer. It looks like each country has different instructions, but the information about the application process in my country is so very, very vague.

UPDATE: I sent the Embassy a very detailed email pointing out what documents they have listed as requirements as compared to those required by Embassies in other countries and how the manner in which they worded their requests and guidelines may lead to an incorrect interpretation. They responded by stating that the Authorisation and Release form is indeed a requirement for all applicants and although it is not clearly stated in the list of Required documents, it is part of the request for the applicant's Criminal Record.
    Last edited by Trini; November 20th, 2013 at 00:40.

It's good that you checked on that! I might spin this post off into a separate thread if that's ok - not sure how many applicants we have from Trinidad and Tobago, but this information is pretty important