Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83

Thread: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Aurano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    This is quite the interesting thread. A real wake up to reality for us aspiring JETs.

    It sounds a lot like it comes down to what you are able and willing to cope with. I am quite a pragmatic person, but having never lived abroad alone I think I would appreciate some of the ass wiping to some extent.

  2. #22
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post
    This is quite the interesting thread. A real wake up to reality for us aspiring JETs.

    It sounds a lot like it comes down to what you are able and willing to cope with. I am quite a pragmatic person, but having never lived abroad alone I think I would appreciate some of the ass wiping to some extent.
    Sure! don't get me wrong, the support network (and at the time the money.... sob), is why I chose the program over other options. For those first few months it was great. Then I wanted to be treated like an adult and shit just went down hill from there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Aurano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Sure! don't get me wrong, the support network (and at the time the money.... sob), is why I chose the program over other options. For those first few months it was great. Then I wanted to be treated like an adult and shit just went down hill from there...
    Yeah, I was actually thinking at the time I wrote that post that I would probably just get annoyed by it all after I adapted to the environment and the whole routine of things.

    Still though, it's a great opportunity and I think there would be a few irritating aspects of any job at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Aurano; November 21st, 2013 at 06:33.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post
    Yeah, I was actually thinking at the time I wrote that post that I would probably just get annoyed by it all after I adapted to the environment and the whole routine of things.

    Still though, it's a great opportunity and I think there would be a few irritating aspects of any job at the end of the day.
    That's the key. There are pros and cons to all the opportunities available. It's about being well informed before committing. It makes it easier to bear if you know it might happen and that it's not just you.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Once again I have to agree with Aurano's original point.
    I'm somewhat shocked that there are JETs out there with that type of temperament. I thought the whole point of the cumbersome application screening was to weed out people that behave like this. It is quite disappointing to see these posts.
    I guess that means we should all stress our willingness to adapt and be flexible in our applications.

  6. #26
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    I thought the whole point of the cumbersome application screening was to weed out people that behave like this. It is quite disappointing to see these posts.
    The process does weed out the absolute worst, but with many JETs applying straight out of university it's hard to know how some will react to the very different situation of being an ALT. Most straight-from-uni JETs (and others, too) want and need their hands held when they arrive, which is one reason arriving at the beginning of the summer vacation is good: it gives schools and new ALTs a month or so to get everything sorted before they have to teach. Most will be fine after that, but a few never get past the hand-holding stage.
    ...because Japan.

  7. #27
    Senior Member dialogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    My BOE is totally hands off and doesn't know what I am doing, ever. I make my own schedule, take care of ordering anything I need for schools, etc. My BOE doesn't help me with anything unless I specifically ask. I am also pretty isolated and, in winter, trapped by mountains. The nearest JET is about an hour away but I have no idea who it is. The closest person I know is about 90 minutes away and he complains a lot about his town but I just change the subject. No need to listen to whining if you don't want to.

    JET is a good opportunity not just for career advancement but also personal growth. You'll learn a lot about yourself when living in complete isolation/facing tough situations and either be completely broken or adapt.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    Once again I have to agree with Aurano's original point.
    I'm somewhat shocked that there are JETs out there with that type of temperament. I thought the whole point of the cumbersome application screening was to weed out people that behave like this. It is quite disappointing to see these posts.
    I guess that means we should all stress our willingness to adapt and be flexible in our applications.
    Nah they aren't that bad. They're just kind of childish and needy. Most of them are still quite capable of doing their job, they're just mildly annoying to deal with and can complain about some quite ridiculous things.

    The whole immaturity thing is just something that irritates me because I don't find much pleasure in hour long conversations about how "awesome" and "epic" Dr. Who is or how dumb Japan is for not being exactly like America in every way.

    Edit: And as others have said they often don't treat you like an adult so they probably don't have a great need for people who actually are adult. It's one of the reasons why some people say that actual teachers can be at an advantage; they don't deal with some ALT positions all too well. ESID remember, you might end up in a school as someone with zero previous experience and be expected to do everything or you might end up at a school with a ton of teaching experience and not be allowed to do anything other than read from the textbook.

  9. #29
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Most straight-from-uni JETs (and others, too) want and need their hands held when they arrive
    I don't know if I would say most ... There are certainly a significant number, but at least in my prefecture we have a good group of JETs who are generally pretty responsible and mature.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    tldr; OP it's worth it as an experience much more than it's worth it as a job (unless of course you are looking to do something related to japanese/japan/teaching/tefl/etc., in which case I think it has its worth on a resume). If you're at the point in life where you're worried about money and future prospects (and it doesn't have anything to do with your future goals) I don't think I'd say that it's worth giving/passing up a job back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I don't know if I would say most ... There are certainly a significant number, but at least in my prefecture we have a good group of JETs who are generally pretty responsible and mature.
    Some people just have higher standards I suppose.

  12. #32
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Some people just have higher standards I suppose.
    Or some people are just nicer and more forgiving than others.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Or some people are just nicer and more forgiving than others.
    I never said I wasn't nice to people, they just have really boring conversations and I have no interest in seeking out their tedious company.

    Perhaps I'm just an autist but every time I attempt to hang out with other ALTs I spend the whole time wondering what on earth possessed me to.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Excessive, competitive wackiness seems to be a desirable trait on JET, especially when they congregate in large numbers. Get more than 4 or 5 ALts together in a family restaurant and the event turns into a travelling circus. Take them to a nightclub and you're in for an experience closer to a school disco than any kind of night out you'd have in the UK past the age of 17.

    Things improve tenfold when JETs are in smaller groups I find.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    It's that desire to reinvent yourself tha most people get out of their systems in college which gives it such a collegey feel. And yeah in small groups it's way more tolerable. That fake wackiness is just unbearable.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    That fake wackiness is just unbearable.
    Once you've seen a group of people in their mid/late 20s do The Conga round a fleapit Osaka nightclub, it can't be unseen.

  17. #37

  18. #38

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    I think most jets either fall into childlike or parental roles. There are always a few mother hens corralling the derps and cleaning up their messes. Honestly, I think both parties love the relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  19. #39
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I think most jets either fall into childlike or parental roles. There are always a few mother hens corralling the derps and cleaning up their messes. Honestly, I think both parties love the relationship.
    Except those who fall into those roles through jet seniority and age seniority. I've had to do it several times since the new jets cam this august and I'll tell ya, I hate feeling in any way responsible for the behavior of other jets in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  20. #40
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Is JET actually that much better than other opportunities?

    Before this degrades into a Lounge-style bitching thread, I will say for the benefit of the applicants reading this that as with any social group, the more extreme personalities stand out. Most JETs are quite normal people.
    ...because Japan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •