Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I'd say go for both. A great Interac position is better than a shitty JET position. (Case by case things might be different but usually JET is better. But I knew many ALTs on Interac that had a great experience.)
    If you're in it for more than a one year stint, interac has definite benefits by being able to request a transfer to other areas. You might start out in a shitty position, but you can transfer to somewhere else after your first year if you're not a total noob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'd say go for both. A great Interac position is better than a shitty JET position. (Case by case things might be different but usually JET is better. But I knew many ALTs on Interac that had a great experience.)
    Same. While I was on JET I knew people on interac that had a pretty great deal: Operated in schools from the same BOE, had really short days where they could come and go at any time as long as they were in lessons and fuckhuge holidays. Pay was gash, though.

Also about the drug charge thing: It's an automatic disqualification from JET because Japan won't issue a visa to anyone with a drug charge to their name. The same goes for interac and all the others - it doesn't matter if you pass and get a recruitment contract, Japan won't give the visa if they see that drug charge.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Does interac require the FBI background check? When I applied to JET in 2006-2008. You just had to check a box, they didn't require the actual paperwork.

But ya I believe the ban is 10 years so unless you're 29 "just like dat Hilton gurl, y'all ain't gittin in". That being said you already got in. I still say apply to both. (I don't know that is a fact and I am too lazy to google it)

My first year on JET I had summers off 'to study Japanese' (wink) - no joke what the guy at the BOE did (but not to travel and we had bimonthly meeting at the BOE still.)
    In fact that was a dream position. My predecessor called me the luckiest JET in Japan. 7 min walk from the train station, that went straight to Ueno. 1 hour to Shibuya, an amazing BOE, great kids, great JTE, a nice apartment and no rent.
    I still haven't met a private that had it better. Sure there were Tokyo ALTs but they were always broke.
    My buddies place in hatsudai (shinjuku) was a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. 12man a month. And it wasn't a nice place.

My second year on post transfer, wasn't as nice I was in the 教員受託 "government workers housing" that was ancient, and old but only 9000 yen a month and still close to the station 15 min walk or 4 min bike ride. 32 mins from Tokyo. But I had to deal with an idiot supervisor and an awful base school. (If you have ever seen shinotsuma monogatari aka kamikaze girls, I had to ride that train. (But that movie takes place before they the built the super fast Tsukuba express)

Anyway. You never know what you might get. (Conversely my sister and best friend both got put in Kochi-ken, which is off the beaten path for sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Does interac require the FBI background check? When I applied to JET in 2006-2008. You just had to check a box, they didn't require the actual paperwork.
    I applied to Interac in 2009 and they required an FBI background check. They just didn't need it until after you'd passed the initial interview.

Well there you have it. You've already applied so what's done is done. But honestly it might be worth the thousand dollars or two to have it removed. This isn't the first this will cause you stress. It takes at least 7 years to disappear from your record and it takes time to do. So unless you do 3-4 years on JET you're running the risk of having it pop up again.

I thought the background check was part of the work visa process, so you'd need to get one regardless of if you came on JET or a private company.

I saw something posted about having a DUI. Would that possibly have an affect on the ability to get a Japanese driver's license? I doubt the work visa people would communicate with the driver's license people, but they do some sort of paper work checking before they even let you test (they dicked around with my forms for 2 weeks, and I didn't have any kind of incident on my US driving record). They do ask those kind of questions in the pre-test interview, but there doesn't seem to be any way for them to tell if you lied based on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Same. While I was on JET I knew people on interac that had a pretty great deal: Operated in schools from the same BOE, had really short days where they could come and go at any time as long as they were in lessons and fuckhuge holidays. Pay was gash, though.

Also about the drug charge thing: It's an automatic disqualification from JET because Japan won't issue a visa to anyone with a drug charge to their name. The same goes for interac and all the others - it doesn't matter if you pass and get a recruitment contract, Japan won't give the visa if they see that drug charge.

As far as I'm aware, it's CLAIR that ultimately has the final say as to who gets a recruitment contract or not, so I'm really at their mercy more than I am the Japanese government. Though I would assume you're correct, if and only if CLAIR turns in background checks to the government. I can't see why they wouldn't, but you never know.

As for Interac, I saw on their website they DO require a background check; however, the provider they recommended was not the FBI, so maybe I'll get lucky and it won't turn up. Either way, it looks like I might be S.O.L for the next few years if I don't figure something out. I think I'm gonna start calling around for legal advice and see if there's any way I can get the ball rolling on this expungement thing.

I think it's a little complicated in this case though because the OP wasn't convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I think it's a little complicated in this case though because the OP wasn't convicted.
    Indeed. In a way, I sort of wish I were so that there wouldn't be any question that I'd get DQ'd and could rest easier. In a sick, masochistic sort of way, I mean.

Also, went to the county court today and picked up my case files to send in to the embassy as well. Turns out, both of the charges were expunged after all, and the forms verifying it had to be specially requested from the judge who presided over my case. Needless to say, those files will be in the hands of an application reviewer sometime within the next 2 days. *fingers crossed*

give it a few years and Japan will be so desperate for ALTs something this small wont matter to them.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

True, they're gonna have to open the floodgates to foreigners soon enough. But I reeeeeeeeally would prefer to not have to wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    It just comes down to don't ask don't tell.

I get the feeling Japan's equivalent of the NSA when it comes to knowing about what people are up to is a guy in a tree with a pair of binoculars from the 1960s, so I highly doubt if it doesn't show on any form of FBI record then there's not a chance Japans immigration department will know anything about it.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I get the feeling Japan's equivalent of the NSA when it comes to knowing about what people are up to is a guy in a tree with a pair of binoculars from the 1960s, so I highly doubt if it doesn't show on any form of FBI record then there's not a chance Japans immigration department will know anything about it.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Be that as it may, they did ask...and I did tell. It shouldn't have showed up on the FBI form though, in all honesty. At the very least, should have showed the outcome was expungement. Hence why I went to every length I could to get documents proving that it was indeed expunged. At any rate, I suppose I won't have to wait much longer to find out. If people have until the 31st to get in their CBCs, I'd imagine results will be posted in the days immediately following.

TSterling, when did you get your expungement? Was it recently? It can take awhile for the local police to expunge it and then send that fact to the FBI and then goes into their pile of stuff to fix(which may take awhile). Did you ever get a letter of compliance to the court decision from the police?

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    TSterling, when did you get your expungement? Was it recently? It can take awhile for the local police to expunge it and then send that fact to the FBI and then goes into their pile of stuff to fix(which may take awhile). Did you ever get a letter of compliance to the court decision from the police?
    About a year after my court date. I had to do community service hours, pay my fines, go to DUI school, put an interlock device in my car, and not get into any trouble for a year and I would have it expunged 2 years after that. Which would put my official expungement date in/around December 2013. I don't recall getting a letter for it, but it may very well have been sent to an old address. Either way, it's apparently been at least partially expunged, according to my judge whom I spoke to just yesterday.

Get confirmation and then get a new FBI report showing it as being removed

Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much.
    Last edited by TSterling; January 23rd, 2014 at 06:00. Reason: Stupid, vindictive comment.

Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much. Congrats to some neckbeard out there who finally has a chance to go to Japan for all the wrong reasons.
    Thanks, I appreciate your congratulations. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the interview.

On the bright side, you did say that you had an interview with Interac, right? I hear there are a lot of benefits to going with them as opposed to JET.
    Last edited by spman2099; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    Well, despite my best efforts, I will not receive an interview. It would seem my history was a bit too much. Congrats to some neckbeard out there who finally has a chance to go to Japan for all the wrong reasons.
    It's true, everyone except yourself is going to Japan for all the wrong reasons. Your criminal history may not have even been what got you disqualified.