Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    It's true, everyone except yourself is going to Japan for all the wrong reasons. Your criminal history may not have even been what got you disqualified.
    Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.

It was a dick thing to say, I definitely don't mean it. I just imagined some guy, maybe the guy with the lowest point total or something, going to his interview in his shorts and T-shirt. And maybe I lost out to that guy by 1 point because of something stupid I did when I was a kid.
    Last edited by TSterling; January 23rd, 2014 at 06:11.

With that said, I really do hope the people who got interviews are as excited as I would be. You're lucky to have a shot to be a part of something like this. Sorry for implying that everyone that got one doesn't deserve it, because JET obviously thinks you do. I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.
    I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.
    I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.

Ya man, I would recommend trying to get a position with a company that places you in a school as an ALT rather than work for an eikaiwa school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I'm sorry to hear about that, but I really hope that the interac interview goes well and that you don't have any problems getting to Japan! I do agree that this thread will probably be useful to other people, especially considering the unfortunate far-reaching effects of the "war on drugs"

Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.
    Best of luck. While there are some downsides to working as a private ALT, there are also upsides.
    Here's a few of them:

1) You're not expected to be committed to the community. In other words, going to sports days and what not.

2) If you want to live in a city, your chances are much higher to be placed in one.

3) Re-locating is easier than it is with JET.

4) You can do side-jobs like tutoring and so on for extra cash (JET's are not allowed).

5) Your working hours are more strict. If you're done at 4pm, you leave at 4pm. Even myself, I'm sometimes stuck after school helping kids with speech contests or story telling contests.