Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    It's true, everyone except yourself is going to Japan for all the wrong reasons. Your criminal history may not have even been what got you disqualified.
    Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Go easy on him, he just got rejected and is clearly feeling the sting.

    It was a dick thing to say, I definitely don't mean it. I just imagined some guy, maybe the guy with the lowest point total or something, going to his interview in his shorts and T-shirt. And maybe I lost out to that guy by 1 point because of something stupid I did when I was a kid.
    Last edited by TSterling; January 23rd, 2014 at 06:11.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    With that said, I really do hope the people who got interviews are as excited as I would be. You're lucky to have a shot to be a part of something like this. Sorry for implying that everyone that got one doesn't deserve it, because JET obviously thinks you do. I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.

  4. #44
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    I'm just literally overcome with a mix of sadness and jealousy, if you can imagine that.
    I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

    And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.
    ...because Japan.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I suspect there are a lot of applicants feeling the same way, so you're not alone. In fact, you may be better off than some because you have a fairly good idea what stopped you getting to interview. A lot of other people will spend the next few days (or weeks) reading and re-reading their applications, looking for that one mistake that got them shot down, and obsessing over it for the next nine or ten months.

    And as for T-Shirt McNeckBeard the succesful interviewee, imagine how gutted he's going to feel when he gets rejected after going all the way to an interview, only to find the embassy staff didn't appreciate his NaruPieceBall-Z fashion statement.
    I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.

  6. #46
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Ya man, I would recommend trying to get a position with a company that places you in a school as an ALT rather than work for an eikaiwa school.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  7. #47
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    I'm sorry to hear about that, but I really hope that the interac interview goes well and that you don't have any problems getting to Japan! I do agree that this thread will probably be useful to other people, especially considering the unfortunate far-reaching effects of the "war on drugs"

  8. #48
    Senior Member Kdes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Criminal History: How big of a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by TSterling View Post
    I suppose you're right. In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking at Interac a bit more seriously than before. Just because I can't be an ALT for JET doesn't mean I can't still be a damn good Interac ALT. Hopefully this thread will be of use next year should anyone with a situation like mine think about applying.
    Best of luck. While there are some downsides to working as a private ALT, there are also upsides.
    Here's a few of them:

    1) You're not expected to be committed to the community. In other words, going to sports days and what not.

    2) If you want to live in a city, your chances are much higher to be placed in one.

    3) Re-locating is easier than it is with JET.

    4) You can do side-jobs like tutoring and so on for extra cash (JET's are not allowed).

    5) Your working hours are more strict. If you're done at 4pm, you leave at 4pm. Even myself, I'm sometimes stuck after school helping kids with speech contests or story telling contests.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •