Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saving money on JET

Default Re: Saving money on JET

I REALLY need to start saving money. I moved into an unfurnished, pricey (8-man/month), apartment in my city and had to spend quite a bit of money furnishing it. This month I just bought a new TV, and that cost me a pretty penny. Apart from rent, which the BoE subsidizies (around 3-man/month), I find myself with little to no cash at the end of the month. I think maybe this is due to the fact that (a) I am still spending money on furniture/apartment things and (b) I eat at konbini's/restaurants nearly every day. I went to Ikea and bought everything I need for a kitchen but I never got around to cooking anything, really. It's just a matter of getting the basic sauces (soy, mirin, etc) and then I'll be good to go, I just haven't gotten around to it.Anyone have suggestions (I know ESID) based on what I said above on how I can save money? I plan on being on JET for 2 or 3 years. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eminate View Post
    I learned this lesson while playing the videogame Mother 3, incidentally.
    I'd spent the whole first chapter carefully rationing my peculiar cheese, yams and nutbread, refining an ever more valuable and nutrient-dense inventory (which had like, idk 20 slots). I suffered death on many occasions fighting trash mobs because I was unwilling to deplete my stash in order to save myself.

I like you. I do that in RE games. I spend the entire thing using the Pistol and knife, using the shotgun *only* where I've been dying repeatedly and never anything else - always saving it for a bigger fish. A friend called me out for going jewmode in RE5 when we played together because even at the final boss I didn't use the magnum.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I REALLY need to start saving money. I moved into an unfurnished, pricey (8-man/month), apartment in my city and had to spend quite a bit of money furnishing it. This month I just bought a new TV, and that cost me a pretty penny. Apart from rent, which the BoE subsidizies (around 3-man/month), I find myself with little to no cash at the end of the month. I think maybe this is due to the fact that (a) I am still spending money on furniture/apartment things and (b) I eat at konbini's/restaurants nearly every day. I went to Ikea and bought everything I need for a kitchen but I never got around to cooking anything, really. It's just a matter of getting the basic sauces (soy, mirin, etc) and then I'll be good to go, I just haven't gotten around to it.Anyone have suggestions (I know ESID) based on what I said above on how I can save money? I plan on being on JET for 2 or 3 years. Thanks!
    You have a kitchen you don't use despite knowing that doing so will save you money. I'm afraid no one can save you from your own laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by dialogue View Post
    You have a kitchen you don't use despite knowing that doing so will save you money. I'm afraid no one can save you from your own laziness.
    Don't talk to it. Don't reason with it. Just look away until it leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Don't talk to it. Don't reason with it. Just look away until it leaves.
    Great - the guy who hates Saitama. It may be worth noting that I eat with my neighbors often and I've started to cook a little.

Nope, not me.

Glad to hear you're a conscienceless mooch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Nope, not me. Glad to hear you're a conscienceless mooch.
    Conscienceless mooch? If by that you mean someone who invites them to my parties, and gives them food and alcohol, then yes. You assume too much but then again you're on this forum so I don't expect you to function like a normal human being. Get a life.

ESID

I was really lucky in that I came over without a school loan thanks to going to school close to home, the helpfulness of my parents and working a full time work while in school. (This route did take longer than 4 years, but it spend it out for me in smaller payments. I didn't want to get a loan if I didn't have to.)

But as you can tell I am a bit frugal.
    I got lucky my first year I saved at least 10 man a month, but usually saved more. I was based in Ibaraki, I had no rent and no car (although at times I wish I had gotten one.) I had to pay utilities (all in all about 2-3man a month. Including cell phone and internet.) During that year I went to Sapporo to the Yuki Matsuri, Korea, Osaka, back home to the States, to Sadogashima in Nigata and a few other not to far from home places in Kanto.

The second year I had to move Apartments and BOEs, from JHS to SHS. This apartment wasn't as nice and I had pay for 9000 in rent (but I shared the internet with my neighbor. So monthly was 2.5-3.5man.) That year I went to Thailand/Cambodia, Singapore/Malaysia, Hong Kong. I also went to Fukui-ken and Osaka a bunch. This year I ate out everyday for 2 months, because they were fixing the gas lines to my apartment. I also was able to get a Yahoo auction account that could bit over 5000 yen and I bought a lot of bike stuff....like a lot. (I spend maybe 30-40man on bikes that year, but I took most of them to states and turned a huge profit, no loss. 2 of them I still ride regularly.) That year I was in Tokyo every weekend I wasn't somewhere else, get out of work take a nap, pack up the backpack, the bike and grab the train down. I would stay Friday night to Sunday night, staying in internet cafes. (4000 yen RT on the train and another 4000 on the cafes, plus breakfast, lunch and dinner.)
    As you guessed I didn't save as much my second year. I ended JET with a lot of great experiences, a fitter body from riding all the time and about $18.5~19K USD (and the exchange rate was 120en to the dollar then).

What I have done since then is I use my debit card as little as possible. I determine what I need to live in a week including going out modestly, lets say $100 USD. I withdraw a small amount more than that, say $120 a week and never withdraw unless its an emergency or I need it for something like a birthday present. If there is anything leftover at the end of the week, I put it in an envelope that I deposit in a separate account at the end of the month. That is my vacation or get myself something special fund. When you ration yourself out like that you'd be shocked how much money piles up in your account.

If you put your mind to it would can pay of a lot if not all of your debit.