Thread: Applying to JET while already working in Japan

Default Applying to JET while already working in Japan

Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences, advice, or point me towards other sites that might shed light on how one can apply to JET while already working in Japan at say an eikaiwa or an ALT dispatch company. I understand that if chosen for an interview, one would have to fly home, etc. but am curious to hear from people who have taken their chances (and succeeded!). I'm asking in the hopes that my LTR partner, who failed to get onto JET but will soon come to Japan with another job, can eventually make the program.

Default Re: Applying to JET while already working in Japan

I did it. I was here with an eikaiwa, applied to JET, got in. What more specifically would you like to know?

Wow, great to get it straight from the horse's mouth! One thing that we've been worrying about is reference letters. Currently, an April start with a dispatch company looks like it could be in the works, he'd have to potentially break contract down the road in order to start JET in August -- it seems unlikely that he could get a good reference letter for JET of all things, if the person he's asking in that company realizes that it would end in a broken contract. On top of that, getting approved for vacation time to go back for the interview could be difficult, let alone the financial risk involved -- what was your thought process/reasoning on this? And how did you handle your interview?

And, in the joyous event that all of that works out... were you required to fly back home for the pre-departure orientation only to have to fly back to Tokyo for TO? Could you go to TO directly? (I know ESID, as there was a girl I met at TO this year who went straight from a summer study program in Kansai to TO, and claimed she didn't have the funds to procure professional business attire and did the whole thing in jeans and t-shirts.) How did you manage moving costs?

I really appreciate your (or anyone else's!) insight/advice regarding this.

Well I came over originally in mid July so my application was not going to conflict with my contract. If the person you're talking about could wait until July to apply there is a chance that their new JET contracting organization would be able to start their visa early and they wouldn't have to go home in between the eikaiwa/dispatch. This also meant I was able to get a reference from my coworker at the school I worked at. It made everything a lot easier (the company going bankrupt in April did not but that's a whole other story).
    This also made it so I could be honest about the reason I left for the interview. I let them know the moment I got the interview and flew home for JUST the interview. I was home for under a week. It was awful but I got the job so it was worth it.
    I did not go home, that up to the consulate you apply with though. They said it wasn't really necessary for me to attend the conferences seeing as I was already there, it was more a matter of visas. I had to take care of switching over my visa on my own time and dime when the time came in July. I did not, however, have to pay for my transportation to Tokyo. My BOE paid for my domestic flight.
    I'm not the best to ask about moving costs. My situation was really strange due to the bankruptcy.

JET requires two references; what did you do for the second one? And how did you manage the police/background check in Japan? Was it costly to switch over your visa on your own?

I got the other references from a university professor back home. You could get it from anyone though really. If they're not here yet, they could/should arrange the references before they even leave their country.
    I'm Canadian, so I just filled in some forms and mailed them in.
    It only cost the usual renewal cost, so around 50$ but it will need to be done during the working hours of the immigration office which may require some travel or a day off of work.

Would a 6-8 month old reference letter be acceptable, do you think? He would certainly be able to get a glowing recommendation from Canada at his current job.

And for the police check, you mean to say that for your prior time in Japan as well as your police check in Canada, you only needed to fill in some forms?

Just ask the person writing it now and have them send it to you later maybe?
    There is no such thing as a police check in Japan. I tried to get one but they don't really offer them. I talked to my consulate rep and many people in Japan (government staff and otherwise). They have a citizen check for people born here but it's not a police check it's just a copy of their entire citizen file. Hard to explain but I couldn't get anything for Japan and my consulate said that's okay.
    For Canada, yes. I just had to fill out some forms. I think that might depend on your country or province even though.