Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 578

Thread: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

  1. #341
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,070

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Everyone speaks too fast when they first come. The pace naturally slows down a bit as you get used to things.

    However, after 6 months here, some people sound like mentally challenged sloths when they speak English though.
    I have actually become used to changing my speaking speed with my JTEs according to their speaking ability. With a couple of them, I don't need to slow down at all and with a few more I can speak quite naturally and only need to slow down a little.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  2. #342
    Senior Member Kdes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Same for me. I teach at 8 school's and with 13 different JTE's. Their English speaking ability can really vary.

    That's another reason to speak slowly during the mock lesson (given you're told to do one). It's not just for the students, but also the JTE. If you speak at what most foreigners consider normal speed, they can easily get lost in what you're trying to say. Sadly, the shogakko (elementary school) JTE's can have a lower level of English than some of the students. That's largely why they place people with a higher level of Japanese at the elementary school level. Depending how you look at it though, your Japanese level will improve wayyy quicker.

  3. #343
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,101

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    Same for me. I teach at 8 school's and with 13 different JTE's. Their English speaking ability can really vary.

    That's another reason to speak slowly during the mock lesson (given you're told to do one). It's not just for the students, but also the JTE. If you speak at what most foreigners consider normal speed, they can easily get lost in what you're trying to say. Sadly, the shogakko (elementary school) JTE's can have a lower level of English than some of the students. That's largely why they place people with a higher level of Japanese at the elementary school level. Depending how you look at it though, your Japanese level will improve wayyy quicker.
    Being able to reliably control the speed, intonation, and patterns of your voice is one of the most useful things you can have when teaching English in any country. It's one of the reasons I am actually well liked in the class room, because I can read in (older) news caster English patterns, which make it much easier for the kids to understand content because I am reorganizing the text into thought groups as I read through and enhancing contrast barriers for effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  4. #344

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    My interview is tomorrow, guys. Keep telling myself not to be nervous but boy am I super nervous!

    P.S. I also printed my photo out on glossy paper. But we're not supposed to smile in our photos? Shoot, will that count against me?
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; February 18th, 2014 at 11:14.

  5. #345
    Senior Member par92186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    My interview is tomorrow, guys. Keep telling myself not to be nervous but boy am I super nervous!

    P.S. I also printed my photo out on glossy paper. But we're not supposed to smile in our photos? Shoot, will that count against me?
    Best of luck!!! My interviews on Monday and I'm sweating it pretty hard as well lol. In reference to smiling in your photo...i checked the voucher and it does not specify smile vs. not smiling. I don't think it'll be a problem. Just remember to sign the back of the photo before gluing it to the voucher. Again, best of luck

  6. #346
    Senior Member Kdes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Best of luck to you guys.

    There are 3 scenarios in how you'll feel after the interview.

    1) It went great. They loved you. You feel that you're definitely in.

    2) It went alright. Couldn't read what judges were thinking. You feel that your chances are 50/50

    3) It went horrible, or so you think. You think that you didn't get in.

    Truth is, none of the above matters. Because people are, for the most part, horrible at accurately determining their success in an interview. I guarantee that many of you, in a few days, or a week after your interview, will start to think of some things that you could have done better. You might dwell on it, and it'll bring you down from feeling like scenario 1 or 2, to a 3.

    I'm gonna be honest, the post-interview period is easily the worst part of the application/hiring process. You sit in limbo for a month or two. The only feeling that's worse is finding out that you're an alternate.

  7. #347
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,894

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    your picture will be on your visa. You're not supposed to smile, frown, show any teeth and should have a "neutral expression".

    Jet office probably wont care either way but if you are successful it may slow down your visa application if the guy working that day decides to be a dick.

    how big a smile are we talking here?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  8. #348

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    your picture will be on your visa. You're not supposed to smile, frown, show any teeth and should have a "neutral expression".

    Jet office probably wont care either way but if you are successful it may slow down your visa application if the guy working that day decides to be a dick.

    how big a smile are we talking here?
    I have a pretty personable toothy grin.

    I mean I could rush downstairs and print out a second photo I took where I look fairly bug eyed with no smile on my lips. Is it worth the effort peeling off one picture for the other?
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; February 18th, 2014 at 11:54.

  9. #349
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,894

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    oh, in that case I wouldn't even bother going to the interview.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  10. #350

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    oh, in that case I wouldn't even bother going to the interview.
    Well crap.

    Okay, going down to peel off my picture. D:

  11. #351
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,894

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    well now I feel bad....

    Time to roll the dice - good picture which is against the rules or bad picture which is ok. Make a judgement call. Worth bearing in mind all roundeyes look the same to the Japanese.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  12. #352
    Senior Member Kdes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    Well crap.

    Okay, going down to peel off my picture. D:
    What documents are they asking you to hand in? From what I recall, we were asked to give in our photo for our visa after being notified of our shortlist or alternate status. The due date (for us) was May.

    I think the photo that you give in for the interview is simply silly unnecessary (but mandatory) paperwork, just for the sake of paper trails.

  13. #353
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,101

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    I wouldn't worry about it. Before they hand you off to the visa processor they will look at your application and ask you for a replacement picture if the one provided is crap. Shouldn't be a problem.

    As for worrying, KDE had it pretty much right. There is no point. Go in, be awesome, and the go have a beer (or whatever your vice is). No point worrying over it before or after because it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  14. #354

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Oh man. Wish I had seen all your replies before I went down there. Whatever the deal with the picture is, I have the non-toothy smile up.

    But thank so much for the pep talk guys. I do feel better (and I may very well need to go have fun afterwards, just to get my mind off it).

  15. #355
    Member Shelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Not sure about other countries but Australian applicants were asked to attach a recent photo (taken within
    6 months of interview date) on the voucher.

  16. #356
    Senior Member par92186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelia View Post
    Not sure about other countries but Australian applicants were asked to attach a recent photo (taken within
    6 months of interview date) on the voucher.
    The U.S. has the same procedure

  17. #357

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    We [Aussies] didn't get any instructions to sign the picture, but I did so anyway, because why not

  18. #358
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,101

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Usually if you sign the picture it should also be signed by the photographer who took it as well (as they "saw" your id)

    That being said, JET isn't too fussed as they have your signature and id on half a dozen documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  19. #359

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Usually if you sign the picture it should also be signed by the photographer who took it as well (as they "saw" your id)

    That being said, JET isn't too fussed as they have your signature and id on half a dozen documents.
    The only thing that the Canadian interview voucher asked for was a "passport or photo-booth photograph." If you get it printed at a photo-booth then who would sign it for you? There were no specifications listed about smiling, getting it signed, having it dated etc. I can't imagine they would be tearing off a glued-on photo to check either; seems so crude.

  20. #360
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,070

    Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

    I went to a professional photographer for the photos and they signed and dated the back just in case. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •