Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Default Re: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Right, the purpose of my post is to highlight that preparation is in itself unnecessary for the interview. If you are a capable individual, who can react to spontaneous events, the interview becomes an evaluation of your character which is impossible to prepare for.
    ...... Also, if during the interview you are constantly answering new questions, when an awkward or uncomfortable question arises, you have a better chance of controlling your reaction because through the entire process you were already doing it, which will create a much better image as compared to the shock moment.

Furthermore, your ability to react to the unknown and sudden change of events is a rather important skill when coming to Japan. You would be amazed at the types of questions I have been asked in passing which I am in no way prepared for. .

Great response. Deep down, I think successfull interviewing skills is truly an art form. If you allow your personality to be conveyed through your answers, you come off as more genuine and honest. Personally, I think those are two of the greatest assets to possess for any interviewee. There could be someone that completely dwarves you on paper, but face-to-face, through a down-to-earth and friendly demeanor, anything is possible. The glass is always half full.

Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Yeah, one of the guys with whom I chatted in the pre-interview area had a resume that made me feel like the simpleton I am; he was from a prestigious university, an East-Asian Studies major (or some sh*t like that), and very clearly from wealth.

He was also cold, weird, and rude. I didn't see him in Tokyo.

Edit: 'Course, it could've also been because he forgot his interview voucher/ticket/thingy.

Edit edit: 'Course, it could've also been because he was a ginger. Still, I've known a few gingers to make it through, so I doubt that was the *entire* reason.
    Last edited by word; January 8th, 2014 at 16:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post

My "difficult" question (i.e. the only one worth remembering) was "If you had planned a trip abroad and at the last minute your school told you about an event they wanted you to attend in the holiday period, how would you deal with the situation?" to which I said I would try to negotiate the situation with my school and find a way to make the time back but if it was absolutely necessary I would of course place the job first.
    This is a good point that is quite often missed. That above all else, this is a job interview. Its not a chance to study abroad or have an international experience; it's a job. Of course, they want to know that you can cope with the stress and adapt to an international setting, to a different (and often inefficient) way of doing things; that you're open minded and even excited about going to Japan. But at the end of the day, they want to know what you're going to do for them. That really this is about teaching and not about being able to hop to over to SE Asia on the long weekends. What sets you apart from the other anime nerd, Japanophile (spelling?) or adventure seeker. Cool you're interested in Japan.....so isn't 45% of your peer group....now what?!? Read the JD of either the ALT or CIR positions and see what they are looking for!

I agree that there's only so much preparation you can do for this interview as they are bound to ask some questions that will throw you off. I'm just gonna read up on some British politics and the history between Japan and the UK, think of various important British people in case they ask me who I'd pick to represent whatever, and make sure I know exactly why I want to go to Japan/work for JET. And prepare myself for awkward questions about tea-making/groping.

How did you prepare?
    When I interviewed it was when dinosaurs ruled the earth (about 5 years ago). I read the list of possible interview questions off the Aspiring/Applying forum, but was too lazy to actually figure out answers for them formally. I wore a suit that looked nice, but had a safety pin that was structurally integral.

How long did you prepare?
    I had been on ITIL for a few months, but I used it more for figuring out what JET life would be like rather than what to say in the interview.

What types of questions do you remember the committee asking you?
    The JET alum pointed out that I was a women's studies major and asked what I would do if I had to make tea for male coworkers. They asked me what three things I would bring to represent America in my classes. Then they asked me to do a sample lesson about a topic of my choice, pretending the interview panel was a class of elementary school 3rd graders. Finally, I got a couple of fairly easy questions to test my Japanese.

Did any questions really throw you off?
    The three things from America question kind of threw me off, and I gave a preeeeetty stupid answer to it. But I wasn't visibly flustered about it and had a good attitude. That's the major thing in your interview - they probably don't care if you don't know about the latest current event in Japan or even who the prime minister is, they just want to see how you react under pressure. If you start crying or turning red in the face because you can't answer a question, that doesn't reflect well on you.

What do you think were the weakest points in your application and how did you address those in the interview?
    I guess my weak point was a lack of relevant extra-curriculars. I didn't have a leadership position or anything in any clubs, and didn't do much related to Japan. I also had a little experience teaching, but not a whole lot.

The thing I took out of the interview is just to relax (I know it's easier said than done). I went with a friend and she was really wound up and nervous, and she wasn't offered a position. I tried to be relaxed, to joke around with my panel, and to present myself as a calm and put-together professional. I was shortlisted, and given a position in my 1st choice location.

How did you prepare?
    I didn't prepare. I went in knowing what I know and that's what I can give them. Of course, I read the official forums because of the high entertainment value of worried applicants. Maybe I gleamed some information from there. For my old job, I was the HR guy there, so I generally knew what they would ask and are looking for in an applicant.

How long did you prepare?
    I went to bed early, ate safe food, and didn't didn't too many fluids.

What types of questions do you remember the committee asking you?
    I remember they asked me how I would feel being a subordinate to someone and how I would manage taking directions rather than giving them. Other questions were about why I would leave my job, living in another country, willingness to try new foods, etc.

Did any questions really throw you off?
    They asked my to tell a joke on the spot. I guess the interviewer thought I was being too serious?

What do you think were the weakest points in your application and how did you address those in the interview?
    Lack of Japanese ability. I told them if accepted I learn quickly and will read up on the customs and culture so that I wouldn't embarrass myself or others.

I guess a general rule-of-thumb would be to be normal, get a suit (for guys), get a hair cut (especially if you have long hair), trim your facial hair and be candid. I remember waiting in the lobby for the interview with one guy who was wearing a Mario shirt and jeans, a girl with purple and pink hair with anime earrings, and another normal girl... who smelled like garlic. Last, if they ask you "Do you have any questions for us?," then have a couple of good questions you want to ask. Interviewers appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jedirust; January 10th, 2014 at 00:07.
    rwar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedirust View Post
    They asked my to tell a joke on the spot. I guess the interviewer thought I was being too serious?
    Where does a sheep go to get his hair cut?

The Baaaaaaaarbers....*bad dun tsss*

Anyway.... I've always wondered, what's the best way of answering questions where they say 'As a female, what would you do if you were asked to serve your male colleagues tea?' or something like that.
    Also, what would y'all consider are the best items to bring to represent England or America?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Paddy:

Think flexible, non-judgmental, and honest. Also, keep any strong feminist comments that you might consider making in a deep little pocket of hate beside your heart and forget about them till after the interview is over. This is especially important if there is a Japanese Male on the interview panel.

I wouldn't be worried about bringing items to represent places until you've heard whether you're going or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Bring something hideously sweet and then they can have a big circlejerk about how gaikoku's food is amasugi mochiron and then you can never bring the ungrateful sods omiyage again.

Trust me Gizmo, I have absolutely no faith that I've been accepted for an interview. Both questions were more hypothetical. Also just to clarify, I'm a dude.
    Wanna hear a joke? Women's rights.... *ba dum tsss*

Quick question because I have seen it mentioned a couple of times. How likely would it be that you would be asked to conduct a mock lesson during the interview?

No way to know, really. I knew it was a possibility but had relatively little prepared in that regard. I was not asked to do a lesson, despite my teaching credentials and experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It entirely depends on the consulate/country in question. Kind of like how the UK is the only country I know of which has a grammar test.

I'm pretty sure all the Canadian consulates and embassies require you to do a super quick mock lesson. The US I don't think has that requirement, but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think it's pretty random, even with interviews at the same consulate.

Thanks for that, my interview is for the UK programme so I better spend this next week brushing up on my grammar.

This might help some dudes pick a suit. (Girls you have a lot more room, but I would still go with a skirt suit if I were you.)

27 Unspoken Suit Rules Every Man Should Know

Isn't anyone going to mention the pre-interview wank?

I'd always pull off some epic method acting in interviews after my morning session.

On a side note: has anyone actually been offered an interview as of yet?
    Last edited by Aurano; January 9th, 2014 at 11:35.

Default Re: So, where do you stand with your 2014 application?

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    In addition to the questions, did they ask you do perform a student-teacher role-playing part? And another question: what is different about your application this year, and why do you think it will make you a successful candidate?
    I was not asked to do any role playing or a lesson demonstration. I chalk it up to the fact that we discussed & they could see on my app that I really only had some tutoring experience so maybe they figured it wasn't worth going into? Who knows. I remember reading some crazy theories that other candidates would throw around as to why they would/wouldn't ask you to do a demo. People *really* read too much into it - there seemed to be the notion that if you didn't get asked to do one then it was a sure sign that the panel wasn't seriously considering you as a shortlister.

As to what has changed in my application from last year to this year, I have two things. My Japanese skills were non-existent last year. This year I found a tutor that is working with me through Genki. Last year I had minimal to no experience with teaching (and no experience with kids). This year I started volunteering with a Girl Scout troop who are all between 6th - 8th grade. I mentioned these improvements in addition to flashing my Alternate status in my SoP this year. Hopefully I've demonstrated that I understand where I was lacking last year and made and effort towards improving these points for this year.

I also wanted to mention as an aside that I think the interview committee had question packets with prompts in them. I don't know for sure if they had specific questions picked out for me before I went in or if they were picking them as they went along. It reminded me of when I worked in HR for a big retailer - the interviewer randomly gets booklet A B or C and inside are pre-fabricated questions. Also, the Japanese guy on my panel would ask the longest winded questions ever - it would sort of evolve as he was asking and turn into a run-on-question made of several related items. It was strange, for sure.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Probably because he was thinking in Japanese, where long winded interview questions are pretty normal. That's another thing- remember to speak slowly and clearly enough for the Japanese panelist(s) to keep up. You don't have to treat them like kids, but just keep an eye out on them to make sure they don't look lost.