Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post

On a side note: has anyone actually been offered an interview as of yet?
    Myself and a few others have had their email notifications for interviews in the UK, mine is on the 21st of Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzvi View Post
    Myself and a few others have had their email notifications for interviews in the UK, mine is on the 21st of Jan.
    Damn man, I'm starting to think I didn't get me an interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post
    Damn man, I'm starting to think I didn't get me an interview...
    Join the club

Like people keep saying they release a new batch of interview appointments every day, there is still plenty of time for you to hear back considering it has only been three days (that I am aware of) since they started notifying. No need to go straight for the worst case.

I am a little curious as to the order in which they are notifying successful applicants though. Not to brag by any means but I sent my application before some of those that have already been notified, November 21st to be exact. Again, I'm not bragging, and this is even assuming I will be granted an interview. Could it have something do with location?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzvi View Post
    Like people keep saying they release a new batch of interview appointments every day, there is still plenty of time for you to hear back considering it has only been three days (that I am aware of) since they started notifying. No need to go straight for the worst case.
    I like to always think the worst, because if I do end up being disappointed, I'm already at rock bottom.

Also, if you already expect the worst then..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvT-H4Du9A

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    The Baaaaaaaarbers....*bad dun tsss*

Anyway.... I've always wondered, what's the best way of answering questions where they say 'As a female, what would you do if you were asked to serve your male colleagues tea?' or something like that.
    Also, what would y'all consider are the best items to bring to represent England or America?
    If I remember correctly, I think I just answered with what I thought they'd want to hear. Something about how I would maintain my own beliefs while still respecting cultural differences. Basically, I would make them tea.

Hello guys, one thing I'm curious about. I've been lurking for a couple years now but I haven't read much about this particular background for candidates - veteran status. I doubt being a veteran alone does any wonders, but if there's anything extra you guys know about it I'd be psyched to know. I'm in the US here and would obviously be putting down what I've done in the service, but knowing that's the only real job experience I've had I can only imagine that they'd use a lot of it as ammo for the interview (especially if I hype up how well it's prepared me for whatever the program throws at me).
    Last edited by Ozzy; January 10th, 2014 at 16:11.

I would say that you should probably be prepared for them to put you on the spot with uncomfortable military-related questions. "What would you say to a ten-year-old Japanese boy who told you that America dropping the atomic bomb was a terrible and unprovoked crime, and asked you how you felt about it?" "What would you say if you were posted in Okinawa and a group of children told you that American soldiers were bad people and that they should leave the island?" Think of the worst, most awkward or offensive questions you can imagine and how you would respond. Remember, your response isn't the most important part; it's how you respond to such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

How are you going to deal in an unstructured environment which is supposed to be structured?
    What are your feelings towards discipline and rewards? Which is superior to the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

To both of you, thanks. I figured they'd talk about how I'd handle adjustment since I would be claiming that I would handle it well. I didn't have anything in my head if a student asked me, though.

WHEN WILL THEY SEND US INTERVIEW DATESSSSSS?!

I finally got my interview date (Feb 5th) after a nervous wait so I'm curious if any current/former JETs could share their interview experiences so we can get a better picture of what to expect. thanks.

Those who were already teachers/had direct experience with education: did they ask you any questions about that? If so, what types of questions?

Chelseafaninjapan.
    Check out the thread user Word created called something like 'secret advice'. I think he is right that is the best you can do to prepare. But you can also start reading up on a little Japanese news. Think of simple ways to describe your home town. Sit down with a friend and have them ask you a bunch of surprise questions (so that you get used to thinking on your feet) and have them be brutally honest with you. Are you talking too fast, moving around too much, are you robotic,etc? (If they can find something even a little off, you need to find someone else. No one is prefect.)

Good luck! What embassy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseafaninjapan View Post
    I finally got my interview date (Feb 5th) after a nervous wait so I'm curious if any current/former JETs could share their interview experiences so we can get a better picture of what to expect. thanks.
    The questions I remember:

How would you react to constant compliments on how well you use chopsticks?

How do you think you would adapt to a completely foreign environment?

You have half a suitcase left after all of your packing (yeah right!), what would you take over from your country to create a lesson that both tells your students about your culture and teaches them English? [There were two follow ups to this. It took about six or seven minutes of my 16 minute interview].

Why do you want to go to Japan?

Why did you pick Sapporo, Osaka and Fukuoka as your three placement requests? What would you do if you didn't get those placements?

What will you do if you don't get accepted into JET?

You gave yourself a "1" rating on Japanese ability. What does that mean to you?

Congrats everyone and good luck!

Ocaoca: I had a real dick on my panel. I was just finishing up a masters for teaching foreign language and he asked how I was hoping to use JET in my future goals. I told him I hoped it would teach me how to be a better educator and he came back with basically "You're supposed to already know how to teach." I'm sure he was just trolling for reactions (I came back with saying that I don't believe that teachers ever stop learning and evolving). It definitely depends on your panel but mine was set on checking sure if I was prepared to play second fiddle in a different education system, aside from the Japanese guy checking my level all of my questions were about that.
    Last edited by Page; January 20th, 2014 at 00:45.

Thanks Page. I'm currently teaching so I know that I'm going to get some questions about why the hell I'd give up UK teaching to be an assistant. That's given me an idea of how they're going to broach the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post

You have half a suitcase left after all of your packing (yeah right!), what would you take over from your country to create a lesson that both tells your students about your culture and teaches them English? [There were two follow ups to this. It took about six or seven minutes of my 16 minute interview].
    What kinds of examples did you give for that? I'm worried I will get stuck with some horrible questions in mine.

Grab a drink and get ready, it's a long one.

I've been notified of my interview and I honestly can't be happier since I'm the most confident public speaker and interviewee I know. So let's give some tips I adhere to that you might not have heard of:
    - Brush, floss, rinse those teeth. Even see a dentist the week prior to your interview. There's no bigger hindrance to smiling than poor oral hygiene. My teeth aren't the pearly-whitest but nothing ensures you smiling than knowing you can smile without fear.
    - Bring a copy of your application and a resume. How many times have we heard people's stories of interviewers asking "why x, y, and q placements?" when you put down x, y, and z prefecture? We know they're trying to see how quickly you lose your cool and the best way to respond? "I believe that is wrong as I put down z prefecture not q. Can you please rectify that as on my copy it says this" whilst you have physical evidence. The resume proves you have initiative and are self-driven also that you are approaching this interview as you would any other job; just because JET doesn't say bring a resume doesn't mean it's exclusive from being a job.
    - Know when to laugh! There's a fine line between being friendly and childish, similarly being professional and uptight. They're looking for the person who can be professional whilst being outgoing so talk to people who are in positions of power. Want a cheater's start-up? If you ever see a cop, say hi, ask them how their day is, joke about the weather but only if they're not busy. By doing this you're improving your speaking skills with people who normally aren't spoken to with respect in day-to-day life; think about it, police(wo)men are dealing with or identifying criminals 90% of their day so they're more than likely willing to chat with you.
    - Know how to speak "on your feet". For those who've seen the movie The Wolf of Wall Street, you'll know the "sell me this pen" scene. For those that haven't, get a friend/relative/partner to give you random topics to speak about. Talk about that topic/item for 30 seconds and increase the time as you become more confident. This will prevent the shock people have when they're asked "weird questions" during the interview. Honestly I haven't seen any "weird questions" as most of them are relevant to the person being interviewed; ie, a literature major being asked if they know 3 Japanese/their country's important poets/writers.
    - People stress about knowing all you can with Japan's latest news. Know your basics and by basics I mean basics. Know that Shinzo Abe is Prime Minister and he's from the Liberal Democratic Party, know that Japan's population is approximately 125 million, know that it's currently Heisei 26, know that there's a significant push on the increase of skill in English literacy skills for the 2020 Olympics; apart from that, more is icing on the cake but don't cram your brain with insignificant information. If you're a PoliSci major, definitely know the political relevance Japan plays with your country; if you're an exercise science major (like me) know that increasing the development of talented athletes 14-20 years of age is the key for Japan's hosting success in the upcoming Olympics. Just remember, relevance is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    How are you going to deal in an unstructured environment which is supposed to be structured?
    What are your feelings towards discipline and rewards? Which is superior to the other?
    Great questions!

1) The key to dealing with an unstructured environment is to understand and identify what made it unstructured to begin with. By being understanding, sympathetic, and diplomatic, any measures you take to compromise with the parties involved can only be advantageous in restoring a structured environment. For those environments that cannot be restored through various circumstances, the same three principles can be applied to ensure that you do not exacerbate the problem.
    2) There is not one which is superior to the other. A lenient mix of discipline and reward dependant on the circumstances ensure that students are the principle focus. Personally, I believe that if a person is instilled with a pre-learned discipline from an early age that reward is a product of their efforts; and as such, the emphasis on discipline can be relieved for that individual. For those that require greater observation, understanding how much discipline, pressure or work to apply is essential to ensuring those students are attentive, learning, and enjoying classroom activities.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    The questions I remember:
    You have half a suitcase left after all of your packing (yeah right!), what would you take over from your country to create a lesson that both tells your students about your culture and teaches them English?

You gave yourself a "1" rating on Japanese ability. What does that mean to you?
    Australia's lucky in that we're known for the remoteness of our landscape and our diverse flora and fauna (read: things that want to kill us) so using words with difficult pronunciation is our forte such as koala, platypus, bottlebrush tree, and Uluru to name a few. My local post office actually has posters for kids with the alphabet and numbers with these on them so I'll be taking a few of them once accepted.
    I also gave myself a 1 for Japanese ability so this is relevant for me.
    - This simply indicates that my ability in reading, writing, and conversing the language needs continual learning and revision to ensure that my integration in the local community is not problematic and I'm not known as the arrogant and ignorant foreigner. Furthermore, by improving my Japanese ability I am able to engage with my students more frequently and am able to present a comforting and friendly nature that my height (6'5") and build may say otherwise.
    ^ I frequently "scare" children just by being near them.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    I told him I hoped it would teach me how to be a better educator and he came back with basically "You're supposed to already know how to teach."
    I think a better emphasis on proving that teaching is a continual learning process that can only be refined through practical applications that no great or amount of an education can prepare you for.

Long-winded I know but personally I'm sick of seeing the same generic responses. Sure there's some things in here which I should keep to myself (I have a handful more but they're basic things people forget) but we're all feeling the same way, waiting for the same result, and hoping for someone to help them no matter how small. For those who need to take these hints/tips/advice to heart, maybe I've stopped you from being the person "who just wasn't meant to be" and turned you into a "maybe" for the programme; for those "maybes", polish your approach and skills and for those who are as confident as me, by helping those not as confident you'll be refining yourself (especially if you're like me who learns more by teaching) and don't worry about "strengthening the competition" as you're the shining diamond in the rough already that the JET Programme looks for.