Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Default Re: Congratulations, interview recipients!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I'm glad you have a back up plan. I'm not trying to "not give you the benefit of the doubt", just I know how anal retentive Japanese bureaucracy is and often it's the tiniest little thing that throws shit for a loop w/ japan. I think that your references if they were like you described were probably great to be honest, because a lot of the references that they probably see are the wishy washy bs packed crap.

I do wish you the best, and hope that you don't think negatively on yourself because of this rejection. Just dismiss it as a "well shit, I probably goofed somewhere, lets go be awesome again elsewhere".
    One area I didn't "play by the rules" was proof of study in Japan (or abroad?), I only have one "diploma" from the language school I studied at in Japan and they wanted 1 original and 2 copies. I wasn't going to give them my original because I paid a lot of money for it :P So I gave them 3 copies instead. I figure if 3 copies of proof of JLPT certificate are good enough then so are 3 copies of study in Japan. I figured if they're that anal and they would toss out my app because of that then so be it.

I can think of minute details all day as to why they didn't offer me an interview but it's time to move on.

Sometimes the extra $20 would have been worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    One area I didn't "play by the rules" was proof of study in Japan (or abroad?), I only have one "diploma" from the language school I studied at in Japan and they wanted 1 original and 2 copies. I wasn't going to give them my original because I paid a lot of money for it :P So I gave them 3 copies instead. I figure if 3 copies of proof of JLPT certificate are good enough then so are 3 copies of study in Japan. I figured if they're that anal and they would toss out my app because of that then so be it.

I can think of minute details all day as to why they didn't offer me an interview but it's time to move on.
    Can't you get a certified copy done? I had to send in all my educational shebangs and since I don't want to dispose of my diplomas and whatnot, I photocopied them and got them confirmed as 'true copies' and away they went. There's gotta be a way to do it where you are.

On a side note, I got confirmation that I made it past stage 1 and have an interview coming up (chuffed). Times and dates not yet organised, but that's cool.

Better re-read my SOP and see what they know about me.

Congrats to the crazy kids that made it.
    Condolences to those that didn't.

Default Re: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

I'm amazed that interviews elsewhere are already up and running - I called up my local embassy (Sydney, Australia) because I'm going to be out of the country urgently for a few days (family stuff) and they said not to worry, our interviews aren't going forward until midway through Feb. Blame Australia for delays I guess! Oh well, more time to practice.

Seems I didn't get an interview offer. Unless they are still dishing them out for UK applicants then I think that's my chances of ever being a JET over. I feel too old now to re-apply in November.

This forum was interesting and fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post
    Seems I didn't get an interview offer. Unless they are still dishing them out for UK applicants then I think that's my chances of ever being a JET over. I feel too old now to re-apply in November.

They're giving two weeks notice, so there may still be a chance. Don't give up hope just yet!

I'm happy to say I was chosen amongst others on the USA 2014 candidate list. Lately, I've just been thinking about the amount of people listed by application ID. I keep counting how many are listed, and it comes out to 1772 meaning that there are 1772 potential USA candidates, if I am right. What makes me so curious is the fact that according to the statistics (The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme) there were 884 US 1st year candidates last year. It's the first time I applied, and I didn't think I would get the interview, so now I'm just stressing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurano View Post

Illuria is right! There's still maybe 2 weeks left of notifications being dished out - 3 if they go to the end of February with interviews, so only half the invitations have been sent out so far.

Last year I didn't get an interview last year, but I got one this year, and I sent in practically all the same stuff this year, so I feel like it comes down to some pretty small things. I had one different letter of rec. That was the biggest change. Last year I forgot a college transcript, so I'm quite certain that was my downfall. Made sure to get that way ahead of time this year. Also, though, this year I sent a letter of expected graduation, but I didn't send a proof of current enrollment, because even though I haven't graduated, I wasn't enrolled in any classes while I was applying either. Kind of surprised they overlooked that, but I guess it might now be that important.

Anyway, I'm happy I got an interview this year, because I don't really want to have to resort to my backup plans.

Quote Originally Posted by undisputed2020 View Post
    I'm happy to say I was chosen amongst others on the USA 2014 candidate list. Lately, I've just been thinking about the amount of people listed by application ID. I keep counting how many are listed, and it comes out to 1772 meaning that there are 1772 potential USA candidates, if I am right. What makes me so curious is the fact that according to the statistics (The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme) there were 884 US 1st year candidates last year. It's the first time I applied, and I didn't think I would get the interview, so now I'm just stressing out.
    If you've made it this far I'd say you're about 75% in the door to Japan. Just to receive an interview is a huge accomplishment. There are literally thousands of applicants whom fought just for one of those 1772 spots. At this point, you've got about a 50/50 chance. Those are far better odds than the first stage of applying and At least this time you can sell yourself a little better in person, rather than just on black and white paper. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by littleanemonefish View Post
    Last year I didn't get an interview last year, but I got one this year, and I sent in practically all the same stuff this year, so I feel like it comes down to some pretty small things. I had one different letter of rec. That was the biggest change. Last year I forgot a college transcript, so I'm quite certain that was my downfall. Made sure to get that way ahead of time this year. Also, though, this year I sent a letter of expected graduation, but I didn't send a proof of current enrollment, because even though I haven't graduated, I wasn't enrolled in any classes while I was applying either. Kind of surprised they overlooked that, but I guess it might now be that important.

Anyway, I'm happy I got an interview this year, because I don't really want to have to resort to my backup plans.
    I don't think forgetting a transcript is a "pretty small [thing]."

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    If you've made it this far I'd say you're about 75% in the door to Japan. Just to receive an interview is a huge accomplishment. There are literally thousands of applicants whom fought just for one of those 1772 spots. At this point, you've got about a 50/50 chance. Those are far better odds than the first stage of applying and At least this time you can sell yourself a little better in person, rather than just on black and white paper. Good luck

Where are these numbers coming from? Are they rough guesses? Real calculated data from somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    Where are these numbers coming from? Are they rough guesses? Real calculated data from somewhere?
    I can confirm that this year, 1772 applicants were accepted for an interview in the US. You can get this number by counting the number of applicants on this list on the US homepage.
    I'm not sure where 'par92186' is getting his 50/50 figure from, but I think you can extrapolate it from the fact that JET US typically send 700-900 applicants to Japan every year.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    I can confirm that this year, 1772 applicants were accepted for an interview in the US. You can get this number by counting the number of applicants on this list on the US homepage.
    I'm not sure where 'par92186' is getting his 50/50 figure from, but I think you can extrapolate it from the fact that JET US typically send 700-900 applicants to Japan every year.
    I wish Canadians had access to that sort of data... I mean, we know how many new JETs get hired every year (approximately 150), but from what I have heard there may be a larger amount of Canadian applicants than would be expected.

For instance, there are 1772 applicants entering into the interview phase for the Americans. So, if Canada matched those numbers (per capita) we would have, approximately, 177 entering into the application phase (since we have about a tenth of the USA's population). However, someone who actually conducted interviews one year said that Ottawa alone had 200 interviews; Ottawa isn't the only consulate conducting interviews in Ontario, and apparently they have about a third of the traffic that the Toronto consulate has (which is the other consulate conducting interviews). If these numbers hold up, and they did come from someone who is informed, then it seems like there are MORE Canadians being interviewed than Americans, and for about a sixth of the available positions. So yeah, it seems like there is significantly more competition for Canadian applicants, at least judging from the limited information I have been able to collect.

It makes me sorta anxious; I envy American applicants.
    Last edited by spman2099; January 27th, 2014 at 08:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    I wish Canadians had access to that sort of data... I mean, we know how many new JETs get hired every year (approximately 150), but from what I have heard there may be a larger amount of Canadian applicants than would be expected.

For instance, there are 1772 applicants entering into the interview phase for the Americans. So, if Canada matched those numbers (per capita) we would have, approximately, 177 entering into the application phase (since we have about a tenth of the USA's population). However, someone who actually conducted interviews one year said that Ottawa alone had 200 interviews; Ottawa isn't the only consulate conducting interviews in Ontario, and apparently they have about a third of the traffic that the Toronto consulate has (which is the other consulate conducting interviews). If these numbers hold up, and they did come from someone who is informed, then it seems like there are MORE Canadians being interviewed than Americans, and for about a sixth of the available positions. So yeah, it seems like there is significantly more competition for Canadian applicants, at least judging from the limited information I have been able to collect.

It makes me sorta anxious; I envy American applicants.
    I would be hesitant to put too much stock in the estimate he gave you. People are prone to hyperbole, and, even though they will hint otherwise, the people on the panels are often just those with a free day looking to pick up an extra ¥.

If you look at the numbers of participants, it seems that they are generally pretty related to the population of the country. (Which probably relates to the number of applicants.) If that's the case, everyone should have a pretty similar shot once they reach the interview stage.

But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

There were was something like 37 people hired out of Vancouver (maybe a couple more) and the word was we had over 150 interviews. So your chances in Vancouver were apparently under 33% after the interview stage. That being said, the word was that Vancouver had over 1,000 applications! So making it to the interview stage to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    This was the last time I decided to throw my hat in the ring. I don't know how I landed an interview in 2008 with zero experience and get loads of experience both teaching and of Japan and don't even get an invite. There are so many factors, some as simple as a different human's take on your SoP, etc. I also take a med that might have spooked them even though I disclosed the same info before and got interview. Again, it could just be another person's judgement. Or they could have kept note of the less than stellar interview I gave last time. Who knows. One can only speculate.

It could be my age, I'm coming up on my mid 30s, perhaps JET themselves think I should be persuing another path at this stage. Perhaps they're right.

Anyway, if you got an interview good luck! This brings me a lot of closure and I do have another ESL job opportunity secured so I'm not upset and I'll be sure to make my annual visit to Japan!

I did get an interview, thank you! I agree, there's so many speculations. I too am certainly no stranger to living in Japan or speaking the language, so I'm not sure what happened to your app this time around. Nevertheless, good luck with your other ELS option!

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    I don't think forgetting a transcript is a "pretty small [thing]."
    It was from when I was in high school though... So I'm not even sure it was necessary.
    Hard to say. I did send my main university transcript.

Interviewees also need to remember the Japanese Government, in particular MEXT, has confirmed that by 2020 the number of participants in the JET Programme would be 10,000; currently there are 4,372. This dramatic increase will have an immediate effect for the number of successful applicants and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an extra 1000-1500 JETs being sent for 2014/15.
    So, take a deep breath and relish in the fact that (probably) our intake has the best possible chance of being accepted so go crush the interview and stop worrying about how many people you have to beat.

Default Congratulations, interview recipients!

Quote Originally Posted by SticksPrime View Post
    Interviewees also need to remember the Japanese Government, in particular MEXT, has confirmed that by 2020 the number of participants in the JET Programme would be 10,000; currently there are 4,372. This dramatic increase will have an immediate effect for the number of successful applicants and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an extra 1000-1500 JETs being sent for 2014/15.
    So, take a deep breath and relish in the fact that (probably) our intake has the best possible chance of being accepted so go crush the interview and stop worrying about how many people you have to beat.
    Budgets have been cut at boes, not increased. Nothing has been finalized.

That, coupled with the accelerating contraction of the student population, would indicate the 10000 JET plan is smoke and mirrors for a good show.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 27th, 2014 at 13:42.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.